11 replies to this topic

#1 Retrogarde

Retrogarde

"historical joie de vivre" -Marlow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 07:32 PM

Posted Image

Issue #1 © 2009, Top Shelf Productions. Written by Alan Moore and drawn by Kevin O'Neill.

Given the heavily researched nature of LoEG, I wish they had used an actual brand instead of "Green Fairy", but the image is just a nice throwaway reference so whatever. At least there's no flaming sugar cube. The character preparing the absinthe is Orlando, currently in his male phase.
The basic tools of the absintheur are essentially a spoon, glass, sugar cube, chilled water, and absinthe. None of the other objects are actually necessary to prepare the drink, but they are imperative for instigating a type of visual hypnosis and bringing richness to the ceremony.
--Betina J. Wittels

#2 buddhasynth

buddhasynth

Unseemly and Obtuse

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,647 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 10:39 PM

....Orlando Bloom...?
What part of Klaatu Barada Nikto don't you understand?

...because shoddy absinthes will be flavored with the lubricator of take the lead anise.

#3 dakini_painter

dakini_painter

Delaware Phoenix Distillery

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,823 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 03:58 AM

I know one extraordinary gentleman in a league by himself. Will there be more pictures of the previous time travel experiment? Or are you saving them all up for a big coffee table book?
:cheers:
"Good is the only investment that never fails." Thoreau.
"Don't you push me baby cause I'm holdin' low / and you know I'm only in it for the gold" Grateful Dead
Delaware Phoenix Distillery, Walton, NY. www.delawarephoenix.com

#4 Retrogarde

Retrogarde

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 08:00 AM

:blush:

You make me blush Dakini! I'm workin' on it, but my photographer "friend" is being a bit of a schmuck.
The basic tools of the absintheur are essentially a spoon, glass, sugar cube, chilled water, and absinthe. None of the other objects are actually necessary to prepare the drink, but they are imperative for instigating a type of visual hypnosis and bringing richness to the ceremony.
--Betina J. Wittels

#5 pt447

pt447

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 03:30 AM

Is LOEG a decent comic series? I've been trying for years to get into one, but just can't seem to find one.
Life is moist and stinky

#6 baubel

baubel

Hued-pottymouth

• 7,702 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 07:29 AM

What about the League of Ordinary Gentlemen? We never hear about them anymore.

A little technological fix to a spiritual problem.

#7 Retrogarde

Retrogarde

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 08:01 AM

PT: yes, it is a very good series. If I had one complaint it would be that it is almost too smart for its own good. There is a companion volume for each series explaining (panel by panel) all the references to Victorian literature. It can be a little exhausting, and I don't particularly enjoy feeling like I'm "missing the joke".

But skip the movie entirely. It's a wasteland of foolishness.

Baubel: I never did get in to that show, but it in no way surprises me that you knew about it!! :cheers:
--Betina J. Wittels

#8 baubel

baubel

Hued-pottymouth

• 7,702 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 02:50 PM

Actually, I didn't. :twitchsmile:

It was a personal joke that my brother and I had going a few years ago. Kind of sounds like the name of a dating website now though...

#9 Retrogarde

Retrogarde

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 05:09 PM

Wait, you didn't know there was a BritCom called League of Ordinary Gentlemen? And yes, it does sound like a dating service. Kind of like Mad TV's "Lowered Expectations".
--Betina J. Wittels

#10 baubel

baubel

Hued-pottymouth

• 7,702 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 08:02 PM

There are a lot of BritComs I don't know. :thumbdown:

Yet.

#11 pt447

pt447

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 04:11 PM

Thanks Retro, I might give it a try. How many volumes is it?
Life is moist and stinky

#12 Retrogarde

Retrogarde

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 08:32 PM

Only three volumes. The first two are sequential; the third... not so much. The newest entry is being released in three parts, each bound like a graphic novel. It's set in three different decades so it kind of envelopes the third volume in it's chronology. Sigh, I'm not explaining this very well. Just pick up the first one and see what you think! I'd gladly send you the back issues if I still had them, but they seem to have gone away soon after I bought the hardcover...
--Betina J. Wittels

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association