Absinthe Ben

Lucid now in 375 ml...

I think it is great that Lucid is making half-size bottles available, and I'm sure this will attract a lot more new absinthe enthusiasts. I also saw something yesterday on Facebook that revealed another brand, but it escapes me now, bah...

Anyone know of other confirmed brands? Other Viridian absinthe, perhaps?

The Jades were being sold in small sample bottles at one point in time...I don't remember the size, but think they were smaller than 375 ml, but if we can buy Jade NO in a full size bottle...maybe the sample will follow suit. That's all I know. Which isn't much. ;)

It's been years since I've tried Jade VS. I'd rather revisit it with a small bottle than a full one. That's just my $110.00 opinion.

I'd much rather buy a 375 ml bottle of radioactive cat eyes than 750. And that's my $60-70 opinion there. ;)

The Jades were being sold in small sample bottles at one point in time...

250ml AFAIR, but for a short time since it was so small and sample-alike.

I believe you are correct, I was just looking at a 375 ml bottle of another kind of liquid and it is much larger than the Jade samplers.

IMO the best idea is 50-100ml botsie, it is handy, gives an idea what the stuff is all about and the price is encouraging enough. Don't know how it is in the States, but here 100% of Polish vodkas/liqueurs are available in such mignonettes and some foreign products as well (yet, foreign products are relatively expensive). Sometimes, you just buy one, taste it and from then on now if the big bottle will be a waste of money or not.

There was a common practice some time ago when one company was adding small bottle of their other product to the bigger one of another, for example: Soplica 500ml was sold with 50ml Soplica Wiśniowa for the price of Soplica 500ml. That was also nice move and helped to introduce some brands in that very form.

Another thing is a set. The best example is a set of Polish meads, 3 x 250ml, for the price of one 750ml mead, you are getting one sample of Trójniak, Dwójniak and Półtorak (the last one can be very expensive, so it is a treat) and you can taste all three and choose the one you like to be your next purchase in a bigger form.

It is extremely difficult to convince a small EU (OK, mostly French) distillery to buy/use smaller bottles (the Jade minis were 200ml) because the cost to label and bottle is almost the same as a full bottle and they cannot charge their true cost based on the size ratio with a full-sized bottle because it would make the sample sizes too expensive.

The major reason so few great little foreign spirits producers get into the USA is that they cannot afford to even buy (or find an equivalent bottle style to the one they already use) a 750ml bottle (and go through the required label change and purchasing of new labels only for the USA), when they have invested and stocked for 500 or 700ml. Many little distilleries don't even want to try or risk the investment and go on their happy way just producing for local consumption.

I'd inquired with my bottle supplier about 375's. They don't stock the bottle I use in that size, so I'd have to order half a container (or more). About 10,000 units.

I'll have to have much, much, much higher sales in order to support that kind of purchase.

:cheers:

(the Jade minis were 200ml)

I was not sure whether they were pre-EU regulation of size unification* or post-thanks for clarifying. Still, it is observable in here, that European and American, etc liquor mignonettes are quite expensive in most of the cases, whereas domestic products remain cheap: 50+ml (to be specific) mignonette of Polish vodka costs up to 1 EUR, whilst 100+ml mignonette costs up to 2 EUR; noting the regular 500+ml is 6 EUR.

*As regards 375ml, the unit has been replaced with 350ml in the recent times.

Hey DP, I just bought a bottle of MoL from DUNY, so I'm helping you out there :cheers:

Legendre sold Herbsaint in pint bottles for quite a long time. I have four examples of these bottles in the cabinet

Herbsaintpint1930s.jpg

Sazerac switched to pint flasks, selling Legendre's Mint Flavored Gin until recently. Very limited area of sale for the Gin

It is extremely difficult to convince a small EU (OK, mostly French) distillery to buy/use smaller bottles (the Jade minis were 200ml) because the cost to label and bottle is almost the same as a full bottle and they cannot charge their true cost based on the size ratio with a full-sized bottle because it would make the sample sizes too expensive.

The major reason so few great little foreign spirits producers get into the USA is that they cannot afford to even buy (or find an equivalent bottle style to the one they already use) a 750ml bottle (and go through the required label change and purchasing of new labels only for the USA), when they have invested and stocked for 500 or 700ml. Many little distilleries don't even want to try or risk the investment and go on their happy way just producing for local consumption.

That's just crazy talk; far too practical. I'm sure it has more to do with a sinister plot.

Thanks Ron! (Don't forget to post a review :devil: )

Regarding pint sized bottles, that would be equivalent to 500ml, which isn't legal in the US anymore (since July 1, 1989) unless it was bottled prior to that date.

We're also going to use 375ml bottles for U.S. as our original size is 500ml and we can not import 500ml bottles to U.S. Looks sexy.:) i think it's also a nice volume for enjoying absinthe occasionally.

gregor

And there is the additional benefit of less artificial coloring and less sugar in a 375 ml bottle, gregor.

But with the same ppm of thujone. :devil:

Hopefully more real absinthes start doing this. It's good at least Lucid is going to give it a go. If too many crap brands like Absente, LTV, and Supreme flood the market with mini's, I could see that doing a lot of damage to absinthe. People can buy one, try it, hate it, buy a different one, try it, hate it, and decide they don't like absinthe before they've ever even tried a real absinthe. That would make me a sad panda.