paulnathan

Paul Nathan Q&A.

They don't call 'em sliders for nothing, eh?

These days they call them sliders for something... PROFIT! I've had them everywhere from dives to country clubs. I hope for WC's sake that they patented the term.

Back in the day, my favorite slang term (and I think this was Dayton, OH), was "skillet scabs"!

Thank you Jay. I feel just a little less along in the world right now. I know that feeling will pass but for the moment... Well thanks,

P

New BFF.

We've never once said you 'can't' drink absinthe in any certain way.

It's actually only four or five posts before yours where a member states that preserving tradition sometimes means 'policing' the non-traditional ways of drinking absinthe. People won't come out and say 'can't', since it's obviously being done, but they will declare that it's wrong or incorrect with a frequency and zeal that nearly reaches the point of moralization [which is not directed at you, MASTERPC].

The exchanges we've been having with Paul over the past few years have been directed at the misinformation he's posted on his site, as well as the fact that until recently, you couldn't find a mention of any real absinthe anywhere the site. He's been a spokesman for feauxsinthe for quite a while.

I understand that, and I applaud taking anyone to task for propagating misinformation. If it wasn't for sites like WS and FeeVerte, I probably still wouldn't know what real absinthe is, which is exactly my point here -- I'm suggesting that our time would be better served particularly in this thread if we concentrated more on maintaining the integrity of real absinthe and exposing fake absinthes for what they are (which has to do with information vs misinformation), and less on attacking the manner in which people drink their absinthe or what they mix it with (which ultimately comes down to personal preference).

And now my request:

I'm in Berlin for the next couple of days

Would you mind doing a quick check of the Absinth Depot's inventory? Just a few highlights even. They don't post it online and I can't remember what sort of absinth(e) they stock. When I was there last (2004?) I thought they had some good stuff mixed in.

If you don't have time it's no biggie, it's just something I'm curious about.

I have never posted a picture in a forum before. Worse, I am drunk from stopping by the Absinthe Depot to take this picture. That trip turned into me sampling everything on the new shelfs.

OK. I tried a couple of things with no luck:

http://s155.photobucket.com/albums/s302/pa...kshotjuly09.jpg

Anyway... I hope this works. and I hope you enjoy.

Best of luck.

Going to sleep of this damnable drug.

P

PS. I stopped by the absinthe depot on my way home from scattering my fathers ashes today. I promised someone here I would take a picture of the inventory (which I did) and would post it here (which I will if I can figure out how). I ended up drinking way too many samples so if what I wrote above dose not come across in a spirit of fun and comeraderie than it is the demon alcohol or possibly the secondary effects of the thujone (that was a joke).

My point is that I meant it to be nice and funny and I mean you no disrespect or ill will.

I'm sorry for your loss, Paul. I have yet to experience the death of a close family member or friend, and do not look forward to that day. Good thoughts and sympathies are directed here from Portland to you.

I second OMG_Bill's comment - nice pic. It may not all be absinthe, but to quote Dave Chappelle imitating Samuel L. Jackson: "It'll get ya drunk! You might even fight a ni**a or two!"

Why is the Kübler green? Perhaps it's the lighting, but it looks more emerald than usual.

Baubel, I agree -- that Kübler does look nuclear green, particularly at the bottom of the bottle. Must be a trick of the light.

Either that, or, there's a spokesman with a hidden camera behind the shelf just waiting to come out and say: "We've replaced your normal absinthe with Folger's Fcuked Up FD&C Green #9 Absinthe -- see if you can taste the difference while ballz trippin'".

The best part of trippin' ballz, is FFUF9A in yer cup. :thumbdown:

Of course, I couldn't read that sentence without hearing it to the tune of the original jingle, chorus of singers and all. :laf:

Of course, I couldn't read that sentence without quoting the post directly above mine in its entirety, even though we discourage that here. :harhar:

My point is that I meant it to be nice and funny and I mean you no disrespect or ill will.

I didn't really take it as an insult Paul. My point was that making statements and posts like that really aren't making any headway in this entire discussion. They are deflecting the real issues.

I mean, it's nice that you sign into the forums here to make jokes and tell people to lighten up, but I don't see anything really productive going on, which is what I thought the whole goal of this thread was.

Of course, I couldn't read that sentence without quoting the post directly above mine in its entirety, even though we discourage that here. :harhar:

Keep needling me on that issue, Absomphe -- eventually it'll make it through the emerald fog and sink into my brain. ;)

I didn't really take it as an insult Paul. My point was that making statements and posts like that really aren't making any headway in this entire discussion. They are deflecting the real issues.

I mean, it's nice that you sign into the forums here to make jokes and tell people to lighten up, but I don't see anything really productive going on, which is what I thought the whole goal of this thread was.

Brian,

I'm not sure what you mean by "productive". I have no real goal here other than to meet people. Hear what people have to say. Have a nice conversation. Get some intelligent feedback from people who disagree with me. Have a conversation with people so that they know that I am a real person with real feelings. Give people a chance to ask me questions if they want.

I think we have done that here. I'm not here to change anybodies mind about me or about anything that I do. I'm not here to change anyone's opinion about absinthe. Some of the feedback has led to a couple of changes on absintheology. Some of it has not. Some of it will in the future. When I get home i will be changing one of the videos around thanks to someone pointing out that I mis-stated something.

We are not curing cancer here. I am not sure how much we can do to make the world a better place.

What would you like to accomplish? I mean that honestly. I am willing to accept that you have a definition of what absinthe is here at wws and I'm willing to agree that it is a legitimate one. I would ask that you accept that I have a different definition of what absinthe is. I would argue that mine is just as valid. My definition of absinthe predates any involvement of any sponsor in any way in any project that I have put together. It is my definition not bought. Please respect that fact that I have a different opinion than you on that subject.

Other than that and within the confines of my definition of absinthe what would you like to accomplish? I offered to let you write on absintheology or make videos. I said I would listen to any constructive and specific corrections or comments that anyone here had. I believe that I have actually implimented every change that has been suggested with the exception of a request to change the my definition of absinthe - I say mine because the site reflects my definition.

In the mean time I have met some nice people. Learned a bit. Made some friendships that will last a lifetime. I think we have all laughed and cried and got to know one another just a little bit better. For the record. I have reigned in the jokes.

As for the "lighten up" comment. You compared huffing absinthe to teaching kids to shoot smack. That called for a bit of lighten up.

P

Howcome you never respond to my question Paul!??!?! :angry:

I apologize wayek. What was your question. This thread is so long that finding it again will take forever.

Ask me anything. In fact take this opportunity to ask me whatever you want. Ask me for a pony. I promise I will give you an answer, even if the answer is: No. you can not have a pony.

We are not curing cancer here.

Yes, like my old buddy Chrisippvs once said, it's just green booze.

And a part of me has hated him, ever since, for trying to make me suspend my disbelief.

I would ask that you accept that I have a different definition of what absinthe is.

Which is???

What ever he can shill for.

Oddly appropriate since absinthe started out as a medicine man's pitch product.

But whatever.

My definition of absinthe as I have said here on numerous occassions is anything with absinthe on the label. That is my definition of absinthe because on the market place that is what absinthe is and any other definition is really just wishful thinking.

My definition of good absinthe is very different as is my definition of premium absinthe, Czech absinthe, Swiss absinthe, traditional absinthe, and most of the other subcatagories that fall into various parts of the Ven Diagram of booze.

I've been over this a dozen times here. I am not defending anyone's manufacturing techniques or recipes. All I am saying is that if you go around ignoring a third of what is on the market place or saying that "It just isn't absinthe" then you are not being realistic. The language you are using is not reflective of the market place.

This is a dead horse that has been beaten to death in this thread. No one has posted anything that has even remotely moved to modify my position on this and I am not here to change anyone else's mind.

You ask why my definition is and that is it. You don't have to agree. In fact I do not expect you to and as far as I am concerned that is OK.

That is my definition of absinthe because on the market place that is what absinthe is
In SOME markets. In others there are indeed legal definitions of what absinthe actually is. There's a good chance that in the near future, the US will also adopt a legal definition.

At that point, will you continue to say that absinthe is anything with the word absinthe on the label?

if you go around ignoring a third of what is on the market place or saying that "It just isn't absinthe" then you are not being realistic. The language you are using is not reflective of the market place.
And don't you understand that that is exactly why the absinthe marketplace is in shambles? That's why people have such negative connotations of absinthe. So many people have had bad experiences with terrible products that they want nothing to do with absinthe anymore. Others have been indoctrinated into believing that the Czech swill is THE original absinthe and that all of this French and Swiss crap is all fake.

We don't ignore any segment of the market. In fact, we focus on them, and call out their misinformation. Misinformation that you apparently are perfectly happy ignoring. For the life of me, I can't understand how anyone could be supportive of those types of practices. I don't expect everyone to be as active in combating said misinformation, but I don't understand apathy.

We push for consumer education because of people like you, who have stood by and been perfectly happy with unscrupulous marketers lying to consumers and serving them cheaply made liquor that's sold at high quality prices. Caveat Emptor, eh?

Read over the 'purple fairy' article I referenced in a different thread. Would you be OK with that scenario? It seems that based on your previous arguments, the answer would be yes. If that's the case, then there's really nothing else to talk about. You're OK with producers lying to customers and serving unregulated products. Good for you.

You've referenced other producers who used to work with you. They've now turned on you. Can you understand why?

We don't ignore any segment of the market. In fact, we focus on them, and call out their misinformation.

We push for consumer education because of people like you, who have stood by and been perfectly happy with unscrupulous marketers lying to consumers and serving them cheaply made liquor that's sold at high quality prices.

Well said, Brian.

This is what WS is all about. This is what we do. To argue or rail against this simple premise is pointless.

Paul, your apathetic definition makes you an absinthe drawbridge--going down on anyone offering anything with an absinthe label-- and accepting all things labeled as absinthe is ridiculous. The conciliatory definition sounds sweet but it is the dumbest argument I've heard on this tiring thread.

Oh. My. God. So you'll whore out the word, just to make a buck? Un-f***ing believable. I realize this is supposed to be like our foreign policy approach to China, i.e. engage and modify, but jeebus!

Paul, that's not a definition, it's an assertion that there is no definition.

de⋅fine

  /dɪˈfaɪn/ [di-fahyn] verb -fined, -fin⋅ing.

–verb (used with object)

1. to state or set forth the meaning of (a word, phrase, etc.): They disagreed on how to define “liberal.”

2. to explain or identify the nature or essential qualities of; describe: to define judicial functions.

3. to fix or lay down definitely; specify distinctly: to define one's responsibilities.

4. to determine or fix the boundaries or extent of: to define property with stakes.

5. to make clear the outline or form of: The roof was boldly defined against the sky.

You're trying to pretend—at least in public—that this word does not have an appropriate and specific usage outside the commercial realm. Absinthe is merely a word or an idea to be manipulated by brand owners. I think that you've adequately conveyed that your core values concerning the topic are entirely mercenary. Yes, you have a genuine interest in absinthe. But you clearly do not care about absinthe. By your own admission, it's just something to sell.

You're so saturated with the business—trade shows, pitches, angles, strategies, and spin—that you can't even speak in real terms anymore. All of your points are based on "the market", but what is the "market" in this case? It's the perception of the product in the minds of the consumers, worldwide.

The fact that your definition (or lack thereof) is apparently ab origine only reflects the fact that your self-serving ideas on the matter were not inclined to change with the introduction of new information, if that change meant a narrowing of the financial prospects of your commercial involvement in absinthe.

If a true absinthe brand threw enough money at you, your definition would change dramatically. The trouble is, so far the only producers who are the slightest bit interested in being associated with your approach and sponsoring you also share your cynical side-show values.

It's this value set that created the inferior imitation absinthes that poisoned thousands and ruined the spirit's reputation the first time around. We won't let it happen again.

:laf:

We won't let it happen again.

We won't--no way, no how. :no2:

Paul, our board colleague Jonathan is what one might call a proponent of the "invisible-hand", and (though I run the danger of speaking for him) I'd say he'd call you on this. (My apologies to Jonathan for the tokenism. :cheers: )