Sign in to follow this  
Jay

Portland, Oregon

I'm astounded that Portland, OR hasn't been represented yet, considering that both Marteau and Trillium are distilled here. So let's rectify that right now.

Credit to Ken Hallenius on the info regarding bars (from a post he made in January), from which I'm quoting directly (and adding links for easier access to info):

"Here in Portland, we can get absinthe at several bars: Clyde Common, the Teardrop Lounge, the bar at Hotel 50, the Secret Society Lounge, the bar at Living Room Theatres, among others.

But at many of these places, they're only offering Lucid, sometimes Trillium and Kübler, and, at the very best, Marteau. That makes sense, since these are the only ones available through the Oregon Liquor Control Commission." [update by Jay: certain liquor stores in Portland are now also carrying St. George and Pacifique. Center Liquor Store at 1 NW 23rd Ave seems to have the widest selection of the four I've visited.]

Ken goes on to mention that prices for absinthe ranges from $10-17 at most of the afore-mentioned places, but that, "at the Secret Society, you can even get a Corpse Reviver, which is a welcome addition to the menu, and they're a reasonable $8."

To the above list, I can only add West Cafe, which also serves absinthe cocktails. Or served? They did once, at least but I'd recommend calling ahead to check before heading out.

Nice compilation. Should make it easier for folks to find Portland info with a simple search now. I actually just found that google is easier to search WS for some things. Unless I'm doing it wrong, a forum search only returns a matching thread, and not the matching page. This is unwieldy when it comes to threads with hundreds of pages. But using the syntax below, I was able to find what I was looking for.

site:wormwoodsocieity.org "yoursearchword"

Anyway. Good call on the PDX info.

There's an "Availability" page on the Marteau site that lists stores and bars where it's available, by city and state. If anyone runs across it anywhere else, I'd appreciate a private note.

Pacifique is not available in Oregon liquor stores (yet). If a store is selling Pacifique, please PM me so I can check it out.

While I thought I remembered seeing it at the Center Liquor Store (along with other "locals" like Marteau and Trillium), I'm sure you're right. I just got a bottle of Pacifique yesterday, but it was from DUNY, and I must have just mixed it up with local purchases. My apologies on the error.

Another restaurant/bar that serves absinthe is Eat: An Oyster Bar, on N. Williams. They offer Lucid, Marteau, St. George, Pernod, and LTV. They have a proper fountain and will deliver it to your table so that you can louche to your own desired ratio. They serve very large portions (well in excess of 1.5oz), but the glasses are too small to get anything more than a 1:1 water ratio.

The food and service on the night I went were quite disappointing (I was in a sizable group), but I'll bet if you sat at the bar that you'd get decent service. Prices are quite reasonable, too.

It's a been a few months since this post-- any changes? Improvements?

I'd love to sample a Marteau or a Pacifique (still unavailable?) while I'm there next month.

As noted above, I made an error regarding the Pacifique. It is not, in fact, sold anywhere in Oregon. To my knowledge, the Olympia area of Washington state is as far south as it is soldin the northwest.

According to this, Marteau is currently in stock only at a Beaverton store, but that's only a few miles away from the Portland city center.

I was actually just in Portland briefly and stayed with my brother-in-law in Milwaukie (about 10-15 minutes south of downtown). While I was there, I stopped by the Oak Grove liquor store on 99 (aka McLoughlin Blvd). They had about 6-8 bottles of Marteau on the shelf, along with a bottle of Trillium. I think the Marty was listed at around $82--not a bad purchase when you consider that there's no shipping or sales tax involved. I was tempted, but am already stocked. My understanding from talking to folks there is that it has sold out in most area stores, so I'd make a beeline for it as soon as you hit town.

Louched my first Marteau at Jake's Grill.

Gwydion will be happy to know that Ryan at Jake's knows how to serve absinthe (I'm guessing no accident). Serving was presented in a reservoir glass with a sugar cube on a Marteau spoon, with a small pitcher of ice water (I heard him explain to the waitress that everyone likes a different amount of water.)

I'll also mention that Jake's has Marteau for a better price than some of the places in town, $14 vs. the $19 I saw quoted at another establishment. They also stock Trillium.

Aloha All,

I will be visiting Portland this summer.

Could anyone suggest a store where I might pick up an absinthe brand or two that is not among the usual DrinkUp offerings?

Mahalo.

I've heard good stuff about Clyde Common. They currently have 6 absinthes on the board, including Pacifique.

It doesn't hurt that they're also right around the block from my new job! :thumbup:

Much to my dismay, Clyde Common served our Pacifique the other night pre-louched and with sugar. :poop:

Edited by sandpedlar

Gotta be thankful for such things. After the story of the flaming bar in NYC, I'm affraid to ask for absinthe at a bar.