Heavy Harpoon

Paul Nathan does it again!

I think I'm just going to start a new thread - It will be the I hate Paul Nathan because... thread. Everyone can bash me publicly there and I'll answer everyone personally and then I can address all the wrongs all at once instead of one at a time.

It looks like this thread will do just fine.

P.S. Mr. Marking is not a Mr. ;)

I wonder if he knows that one where the magician disappears at the end of a half hour of flashy bullshit, leaving everyone with nothing more than a bad experience.

Obviously, I'm joking, of course.

It's not always a bad experience.

Sometimes it's more than a half hour.

:wave2:

I actually love the French. I love Paris in particular. I'm going there next week to write more lies and misinformation (an more blogs insulting the inhabitants)

Great, take some time to come with me at La Cantada (best selection of absinthe in a bar in Paris). I'll put my best cheese-flavored perfume and will be arrogant as hell. In the meantime, while you concentrate on my "that french bastard" attitude, maybe I can teach you one thing or two on absinthe :dry:

[/irony]

PS : the treat will be yours, and I will take a Jade, thank you

That appology was for you Mr. Marking

Anyone who might be impressed by your BS need not look any further for evidence that you don't research any farther than your own nose.

Hello Paul,

Thanks for dropping in on the forum and addressing the comments and criticisms made regarding your website and the YouTube videos you've posted. You seem like a dirty mushroom (excuse me: I meant to say, a fun guy) who would be a great laugh to have at a party, but I do take exception with a number of things that you've said and done.

Rather than throw up a long post outlining each of them in the sort of detail that would allow for quibbling over small points enough to distract from the main argument (something I've seen happen over several of these posts), I'll address only two of your comments that I believe sum up the major issues at play here.

Number One:

I have said this before. I am saying this now. I am not an absinthe expert. I never claimed to be.

This is patently untrue. The front page of the website you purport to maintain sole control of the content for has a subhead states very clearly at the top: "The art and science of absinthe", and below it the very first paragraph reads:

The web's best source for information about absinthe created by and for absinthe professionals. Here you will find everything you need to know about absinthe in the world today.

Those statements very clearly posit you as an expert on absinthe. I'm not sure if it's gall, obstinance, or long-term memory loss that apparently prevents you from acknowledging as much, but any reasonable person would read that information and agree that you are putting yourself forward as an authority on absinthe. If you are not (and by your own admission above, as well as a number of other errors and discrepancies you've admitted to, that is the case), I would suggest you do a COMPLETE overhaul of your website, or discontinue it altogether.

Number Two:

I don't do things to be cool. I think its cool to do things. I don't travel around the world to be cool. I think it is cool to travel around the world. To that end I made choices in my life that allow me to do the things I love. Travel, explore, dance, have fun. Those choices have given me a wonderful chance to share some cool things with my friends and family. Things like my love of absinthe. So stop pissing on my parade.

I respect this outlook up to a certain degree. But when you subsidize your love of traveling, exploring, dancing and having fun by being disingenuous, my respect comes to an end. You clearly admit to accepting paid advertisements and to filtering out negative criticisms of products, but then turn around and claim that your opinions and reviews have not been bought or compromised in any way. You have a very clear conflict of interest here, which your own personal ethics if nothing else should prompt a change of. But it seems to me that you love the idea of absinthe, and not absinthe itself. You were seduced by the alluring myths and legends of absinthe that were floating around a decade and more ago, and when the truth of it was less glamorous (and perhaps less tasty?) to you than the fables and the faked or highly-diluted versions of absinthe being hawked by some companies today, you just kept on rolling with your show.

By all means, have fun and drink what tastes good to you, but keep some self-respect and dignity. You yourself agree that your website is sloppy and poorly maintained; you call things absinthe that you know aren't absinthe; you create new drinks (or are at least party to it) and give them the classic names in order to lend some sort of credibility to them, with no regard for accuracy and integrity, and then turn on the charm and try to play a shell-game with words when people call you out on it.

Can't you see how that kind of behavior cheapens you, and our society as a whole? If you do see that now, I hope you'll change your behavior; but if you intend to maintain your status quo regardless, then that's certainly your choice, just as it is our choice to continue calling you out on your fallacies. But please don't come here and try to get anyone in these forums to swallow the inaccuracies and outright lies that you're selling; they may work for you, but there's not enough sugar in the world, burned or not, to make it agreeable to us.

What's with the recent influx of absinthe enemies? Are we being attacked, is this an organized infiltration operation? Every thread in the passed two weeks is about defending absinthe truth against absinthe ignorance as if we're the crazy ones...

Maybe it's like when politicians try and make themselves seem smart by trying to preempt attacks and end up getting swallowed whole by more educated people!

I think recently it has a lot to do with folks reacting to bad press. They come to either play nice and attempt to smooth us over, or they come in here unashamed and unapologetic and demand we don't give them poor reviews.

Good, that means we're being noticed. Or, at least, the "general consensus" isn't so pervading as it has been, and now the disinformationists are starting to get scared!

What I think is great is that you can google any number of absinthe brands and get a WS review in the top matches. That's the kind of exposure that's going to win this thing.

Agreed! I think our power will become evident when people find an absinthe and say, "eh, not rated too good by the WS." And the best part is that nobody can complain because anyone can join, and everyone can submit reviews. Here, the majority speaks. An unfortunate aspect of life is that, often, the worst views are often spoken the loudest and find the most support. Of course, having no scruples, and being able to sell yourself just to get people to notice you on YouTube doesn't hurt either. People forget this is all about the drink, not the individual, or the brand!

I actually love the French. I love Paris in particular. I'm going there next week to write more lies and misinformation (an more blogs insulting the inhabitants)

Great, take some time to come with me at La Cantada (best selection of absinthe in a bar in Paris). I'll put my best cheese-flavored perfume and will be arrogant as hell. In the meantime, while you concentrate on my "that french bastard" attitude, maybe I can teach you one thing or two on absinthe :dry:

[/irony]

PS : the treat will be yours, and I will take a Jade, thank you

I'll meet you in Paris.

Here is my email address:

paul@firemagic.com

Shoot me an email and we can arrange a time and place to hook up. I'm in Berlin this coming week so it will have to be June 8 to the 11th.

I've tasted all the Jades. I have a couple of bottles of each at my place. PF 1901 is my fave. I'm more interested in tasting something new so the "best selection" is appealing.

But since you are the one doing the schooling than I will happily allow you to suggest what you deem best.

P

What's with the recent influx of absinthe enemies? ...is this an organized infiltration operation? Every thread in the past two weeks is about defending absinthe truth against absinthe ignorance as if we're the crazy ones...

And I thought I was just being paranoid!

This might be a little late but the french don't hate the french-canadians, or in my case, bilingual canadians. I don't know who told you they did. But yea, we canadians got used to americans mocking us, and it's all cool, as long as you don't do it on Fox.

This might be a little late but the french don't hate the french-canadians, or in my case, bilingual canadians. I don't know who told you they did. But yea, we canadians got used to americans mocking us, and it's all cool, as long as you don't do it on Fox.

I love Canada. Montreal is amazing. In fact, I think Montreal is the most beautiful city in north America. I live in San Francisco and and travel extensively. I think SF is the most beautiful city in the US so for me to give props to Montreal is not just blowing smoke. Vancouver is fantastic. Nice people. Banff is the single most breathtaking place I have ever been in my life. Canadians are for the most part warm and wonderful.

The people who told me that the French look down on Canadians were Belgian and you know how they are... So I take it with a grain of salt.

Oh. And I have heard it from a bunch of French people - not that they hate the Canadians but that they look down on them because of the accent. But they are French so obviously they can not be trusted.

Oh... And I heard it from a few of my friends from Quebec and some more from Montreal. Them I believed.

All jokes aside - My friends from Montreal really did tell me that the French get snotty with them because of their accents, and I really have heard that from a lot of different people both French and foreign - not that the French hate Canadians but that they tease them about the accent. I don't know personally because I have never been to Paris with a Canadian. I'll be there in two weeks. Any French Canadians want to meet me there we can find out for ourselves.

I think the best course of action here is to keep our opinions to ourselves when it comes to nationality perceptions, even if just joking. Much like we keep religion and politics out of the discussion arena.

That appology was for you Mr. Marking

Anyone who might be impressed by your BS need not look any further for evidence that you don't research any farther than your own nose.

You are just mad at me cause I teased France. I already said that I was being ironic. Being ironic means saying the opposite of what you mean. I like France. I like the French. I obviously don't make judgments about an entire race of people.

I talked to my mom. She said she will knit you a Paul is Joking bedspread if you chill out.

P

True for the French being scornful about the canadian accent, unless you have someone with some culture and an open mind who will understand how beautilful the canadian accent is in reality (they have all the tonic accents and variations our french accent lost).

But anyway, to go back to the debate... Paul, I do not think you can settle things by acting like a douche. Unless a flamewar is what you wanted. In that case

successfultrollissuccesw.jpg

and congratulations. But otherwise, because people were offended by your video and your jokes, I do think you can earn points.. But you're in for an apology.

And on the whole, I think I am a bit saddened by this topic which is in no way informative, nor a critic on the essence of the offending content, but rather a personal attack on a person. No judging anyone, just expressing my feelings on the situation.

On a totally different topic, meeting the guy in the flesh may be my pleasure.

Some members of the Advisory Board (myself included) felt this notice should have came much much sooner:

"Your FRIENDLY Advisory Board reminds everyone that WS is dedicated to positive, progressive education. We do not all have to agree and we may frequently disagree but we should do so civilly. Namecalling and mudslinging are counterproductive. Feel free to express your disagreement with anyone but choose your words wisely. How we express ourselves will be how we are judged by others. The Wormwood Society is not a reincarnation of the Animal House so please conduct yourself accordingly. Inflammatory posts will soon be headed to the Cornfield."

This warning should be taken to heart in every thread, of course. Have fun but avoid the personal attacks. Perhaps WS members might want to edit their posts to reflect a more proactive approach and save me the trouble? Thanks ! :cheers:

Good, that means we're being noticed...

Have a nice nap? :harhar:

Agreed! I think our power will become evident when people find an absinthe and say, "eh, not rated too good by the WS."

This has been happening for several years.

But your observation reflects why folks here are so eager to hand out the crap talk: they forget the world is watching.

WS is not obscure anymore. 66% of our 10,000 monthly readers are just passersby and account for 25% of the visits here. Another 33% are regulars and account for half of the visits. 1% are addicts, and account for the remaining 25%. So the 100 most active people here only account for a quarter of our traffic.

Very interesting. I guess I underestimated our reach. It's actually quite encouraging. Perhaps all these recent "infiltrations" have been a direct result of those folks noticing people no longer as eager to swallow their snake oil!