Paul Nathan does it again!

• Please log in to reply
141 replies to this topic

#1 Heavy Harpoon

Heavy Harpoon

• PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 06:01 AM

Watch this without both laughing and crying.

http://www.youtube.c...re=channel_page
HH

#2 Ron

Ron

Blind Eye McGee

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,101 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 06:34 AM

Jesus.

And what's with the black emo nail polish?

Sparkle.
Every hour is green hour. -Hedonmonkey

Sometimes bad just gets so bad that it breaks thru to the other side and becomes good. - Phoenix

#3 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,403 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 06:56 AM

"Wow, that's the first Sazerac I've really liked."

"It's the soda water."

Oh, come now, Mr. Williams, don't be so modest.

We all know it's the burnt™ sugar cube. :rolleyes:

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#4 Ron

Ron

Blind Eye McGee

• Content Team
  • 4,101 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 07:22 AM

Yep. It's a well known fact that soda water will exponentially increase the likeability of any cocktail, not the ingredients.

Having said that, it seems slightly contradictory since we require water in our beloved absinthe :huh:

Sometimes bad just gets so bad that it breaks thru to the other side and becomes good. - Phoenix

#5 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,169 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 08:56 AM

I've louched absinthe with soda water. Unfortunately, there were witnesses. Bleh!

Those two seemed like real trend setters in the cocktail world and they should be shaken taken seriously. :laf:
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#6 precenphix

precenphix

Dreamer / Noise-maker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 09:14 AM

I've made the mistake of using sparkling water myself. This is something I won't be repeating. What a waste of a drink.
Those with knowledge easily sense the truth of things. Those with egos built up on rumor and fancy, tend to maintain a hard line. - Tatan (Evan Camomile)

#7 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,217 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 09:34 AM

I sure wish Paul would actually learn something instead of just making things up as he goes along.

Maker of Marteau Absinthe
Master Distiller, Gnostalgic Spirits Distillery
www.absinthemarteau.com
Confessions of an Absinthiste

#8 Misanthrope

Misanthrope

• PipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 10:10 AM

I had never seen this guy or his videos before. No words come to mind that are not derogatory towards Mr. Nathan. Like the old saying goes, "if you don't have anything nice to say, say nothing at all"

So, this is how one pours a traditional french absinthe? I guess we've been doing it wrong all this time.

Has Mr. Nathan's Czech absinthe huffing ritual :shock: been posted here before. If so, please forgive my redundance. Nothing nice for me to say here either.
It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this. -- Bertrand Russell
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. -- Dr Seuss
I hate mankind, for I think myself one of the best of them, and I know how bad I am. -- Joseph Baretti
Humankind cannot stand very much reality. -- T. S. Eliot

#9 MASTERPC

MASTERPC

Just me

• Diamond Member
  • 4,713 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 12:08 PM

Jesus.

And what's with the black emo nail polish?

Sparkle.

May do drag on the weekends.
"I read an article recently on the dangers of heavy drinking..
Scared the shit out of me.
So, that's it! After today, no more reading."

#10 Jay

Jay

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 12:09 PM

Has Mr. Nathan's Czech absinthe huffing ritual :shock: been posted here before. If so, please forgive my redundance. Nothing nice for me to say here either.

:laf:

Oh wow, nothing nice to say at all? I'm sorry, but that was the funniest thing I've seen for a while. I find this guy to be a bit cloying in his other videos as he struggles to be entertaining, but having him clearly buzzy here and seeing him struggle to finish the video at the end was priceless.

I know most people here in the forums would rather you kick a pregnant pooch rather than burn your sugar and/or absinthe, but in fairness, the man does state at the beginning that purists frown upon doing this. My take on it is that whomever bought the booze can drink it however they want to, no matter how ridiculous they look.

And he did look ridiculous from about the two-minute mark on ;)

#11 Gypsy

Gypsy

• PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 12:17 PM

I wonder if in the "huffing" ritual, you get a good louche going on in your tummy after you drink the water?
:laugh:

"So I rise to the hill tops, I ride the night winds, I make love to the darkness and laugh at man’s sins" Cowboy Junkies

#12 Wild Bill Turkey

Wild Bill Turkey

Exigez le mot Turkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 12:34 PM

Wow.
So much wrong with everything Paul does, and he's found the perfect bartender to complement his "disnfotainment" series. (I love that word, Hiram) I had to skim through the other videos in his series, like "Absinthe: the Poor Man's Cocaine", or his tour of the Guy distillery, where he described how you make "absinthe soup" in a "big tank" before you boil it and catch the steam.

Paul was harmless enough when he had those "absinthe speakeasy" parties here in SF a few years back. He was a bumbling fool masquerading as an aficionado even then, and the intervening years have taught him nothing. But now with YouTube, he's got a chance to drop his pants in front of a global audience.
"I'm always amused when a member incorporates a quote from another member into their signature." - fpb

#13 Ron

Ron

Blind Eye McGee

• Content Team
  • 4,101 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 12:38 PM

Wow. The videos get worse and worse. That huffing one was funny though. I feel bad for all the bad things I wished would have happened to him during that recording though.

#14 Alan Moss

Alan Moss

absinthe-suisse.com

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 12:43 PM

Paul has a good set of wallpapers/desktops.
www.laclandestine.com: Hand-crafted in the birthplace of absinthe.

#15 Jay

Jay

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 12:56 PM

Paul has a good set of wallpapers/desktops.

How can someone have no less than five different pictures of LTV bottles and manage to make them all look so shiddy? I mean, come on -- from what I hear, the best thing about LTV is the bottle.

Anyway, Paul's taking quite a drubbing here (perhaps deservedly so), but maybe he's got at least a little street cred?

#16 techdiver

techdiver

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,922 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 12:57 PM

Should that be absin theology?

#17 Wild Bill Turkey

Wild Bill Turkey

Exigez le mot Turkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 01:15 PM

Anyway, Paul's taking quite a drubbing here (perhaps deservedly so), but maybe he's got at least a little street cred?

I find it frustrating when someone posts a link that tries to automatically download unfamiliar files onto your hard drive. I stopped it before it did, but I saw the title, "The Bust", which I assume tracks the story of the time one of his aforementioned "absinthe speakeasy" parties got closed down by the police.

That was a fiasco, which he brought on himself by openly advertising that he was going to be selling illegal liquor without a license. The subject was discussed here at length, and even though he tried to make himself a counter-culture pop martyr out of the affair, most people just thought he was an idiot.
"I'm always amused when a member incorporates a quote from another member into their signature." - fpb

#18 techdiver

techdiver

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,922 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 01:20 PM

Idiot - a person of the lowest order in a former classification of mental retardation, having a mental age of less than three years old and an intelligence quotient under 25. Yes, it fits.

#19 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,403 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 01:24 PM

"disnfotainment"

I love that word, too.

And seeing it makes me miss :censor1: (yes, that guy) just a little. :devil: ;)

#20 Heavy Harpoon

Heavy Harpoon

• PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 01:36 PM

Notice how he pronounces Peychaud's (Pay-Shoh's, the d is silent) Perchards, and then he adds Angostura bitters. And he's wrong when he says it's the oldest cocktail, as disproved by Robert Hess.
HH

#21 speedle

speedle

Peanut Gallery owner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 02:38 PM

My take on it is that whomever bought the booze can drink it however they want to, no matter how ridiculous they look.

Um, no. Not if you're gonna be on YouTube when you're lookin' ridiculous.
- cogito ergo louche

“I lost some time once. It's always in the last place you look for it.” - Neil Gaiman

#22 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,403 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 02:44 PM

Notice how he pronounces Peychaud's (Pay-Shoh's, the d is silent) Perchards, and then he adds Angostura bitters. And he's wrong when he says it's the oldest cocktail, as disproved by Robert Hess.

Peychards is kinda fitting, in this case, onacuz it rhymes with 'tards'.

And the oldest cocktail...I'd go with silibub...not literally, though. :puke:

#23 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,217 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 02:52 PM

Not actually disproved by Robert, but much circulated by him and the rest of the real cocktail evangelists. I think it may have been Phil Greene (a descendant of Peychaud's no less) who uncovered the newspaper article.

... in fairness, the man does state at the beginning that purists frown upon doing this.

I see your point, and that is something at least. But I don't think it's any more fair to characterize someone as a purist just because they frown on pointless bar stunts, than it is to characterize those who participate in an ongoing charade of general absinthe disinformation as menaces to society. Oh well, mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.

Paul was harmless enough when he had those "absinthe speakeasy" parties here in SF a few years back. He was a bumbling fool masquerading as an aficionado even then, and the intervening years have taught him nothing.

In spite of lengthy email correspondence and phone conversations over a year ago where I gave him the real Sazerac history, among other things. This is why I call it disinformation, not misinformation. He knows better, but eschews the truth for a flashier story.

Maker of Marteau Absinthe
Master Distiller, Gnostalgic Spirits Distillery
www.absinthemarteau.com
Confessions of an Absinthiste

#24 baubel

baubel

Hued-pottymouth

• 7,702 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 03:36 PM

Just because his last name is the only thing right about the bassward fuck doesn't mean we have to refer to him as Mr. Nathan.

I'm just saying.

A little technological fix to a spiritual problem.

#25 Heavy Harpoon

Heavy Harpoon

• PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 04:19 PM

Not actually disproved by Robert, but much circulated by him and the rest of the real cocktail evangelists. I think it may have been Phil Greene (a descendant of Peychaud's no less) who uncovered the newspaper article.

Yea, sorry, I misformulated my sentence there, I just meant that Robert corrected the myth of the first cocktail in the Sazerac episode of The Cocktail Spirit.
HH

#26 thegreenimp

thegreenimp

Obsessed Herbsaint Collector

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 08:13 AM

Paging Paul Nathan!

You've won a major award...

Posted Image
At the close of the day drink an Herbsaint Frappé,...Legendre Herbsaint, always served when absinthe is called for.
The History of Legendre Herbsaint

#27 paulnathan

paulnathan

• Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 07:41 PM

Wow. There is a lot of derision here. None of it justified.

Disagree with me if you like. Have a reasonable discussion about the content of what I produce if you like, but to just call me an asshole in a public forum... Really. That's not nice.

Since there seems to be a lot of strong feelings here and an insult for just about everything that I have done over the past few years I will respond to each of your postings below.

Sorry to have not done so earlier but I did not know there was a conversation about me.

Paul

#28 paulnathan

paulnathan

• Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 07:43 PM

Paging Paul Nathan!

You've won a major award...

Posted Image

This is just rude. Funny in a mean way but rude and not really conducive to a conversation.

#29 paulnathan

paulnathan

• Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 07:49 PM

Just because his last name is the only thing right about the bassward fuck doesn't mean we have to refer to him as Mr. Nathan.

I'm just saying.

Again... Not very nice and not very accurate. And no you don't have to call me Mr. Nathan. Paul is what my friends call me. Actually that's not true. My friends call me asshole, jerk, or fatty. People who don't know me well call me Paul. You may choose whichever epithet you desire. Bassword fuck will be fine.

Now that we have the intorduction out of the way... What was it that I was a bassword fuck about? Be specific and I will give you a very specific accounting of what I said, why I said it, and why I believe it to be true or appropriate.

#30 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,169 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 07:55 PM

Good evening Paul. Glad you dropped by.

There is an introductory thread. Maybe a quick introduction first would help us see where you're coming from.

Cheers!

Ooops, it seems you posted a few things while I was typing. Please, carry on.
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association