Heavy Harpoon

Paul Nathan does it again!

"Wow, that's the first Sazerac I've really liked."

"It's the soda water."

Oh, come now, Mr. Williams, don't be so modest.

We all know it's the burnt™ sugar cube. :rolleyes:

Yep. It's a well known fact that soda water will exponentially increase the likeability of any cocktail, not the ingredients.

Having said that, it seems slightly contradictory since we require water in our beloved absinthe :huh:

I've louched absinthe with soda water. Unfortunately, there were witnesses. Bleh!

Those two seemed like real trend setters in the cocktail world and they should be shaken taken seriously. :laf:

I had never seen this guy or his videos before. No words come to mind that are not derogatory towards Mr. Nathan. Like the old saying goes, "if you don't have anything nice to say, say nothing at all"

So,

? I guess we've been doing it wrong all this time.

Has Mr. Nathan's

:shock: been posted here before. If so, please forgive my redundance. Nothing nice for me to say here either.

Jesus.

And what's with the black emo nail polish?

Sparkle.

May do drag on the weekends.

Has Mr. Nathan's
:shock: been posted here before. If so, please forgive my redundance. Nothing nice for me to say here either.

:laf:

Oh wow, nothing nice to say at all? I'm sorry, but that was the funniest thing I've seen for a while. I find this guy to be a bit cloying in his other videos as he struggles to be entertaining, but having him clearly buzzy here and seeing him struggle to finish the video at the end was priceless.

I know most people here in the forums would rather you kick a pregnant pooch rather than burn your sugar and/or absinthe, but in fairness, the man does state at the beginning that purists frown upon doing this. My take on it is that whomever bought the booze can drink it however they want to, no matter how ridiculous they look.

And he did look ridiculous from about the two-minute mark on ;)

Wow.

So much wrong with everything Paul does, and he's found the perfect bartender to complement his "disnfotainment" series. (I love that word, Hiram) I had to skim through the other videos in his series, like "Absinthe: the Poor Man's Cocaine", or his tour of the Guy distillery, where he described how you make "absinthe soup" in a "big tank" before you boil it and catch the steam.

Paul was harmless enough when he had those "absinthe speakeasy" parties here in SF a few years back. He was a bumbling fool masquerading as an aficionado even then, and the intervening years have taught him nothing. But now with YouTube, he's got a chance to drop his pants in front of a global audience.

Wow. The videos get worse and worse. That huffing one was funny though. I feel bad for all the bad things I wished would have happened to him during that recording though.

How can someone have no less than five different pictures of LTV bottles and manage to make them all look so shiddy? I mean, come on -- from what I hear, the best thing about LTV is the bottle.

Anyway, Paul's taking quite a drubbing here (perhaps deservedly so), but maybe he's got at least a little street cred?

Anyway, Paul's taking quite a drubbing here (perhaps deservedly so), but maybe he's got at least a little street cred?

I find it frustrating when someone posts a link that tries to automatically download unfamiliar files onto your hard drive. I stopped it before it did, but I saw the title, "The Bust", which I assume tracks the story of the time one of his aforementioned "absinthe speakeasy" parties got closed down by the police.

That was a fiasco, which he brought on himself by openly advertising that he was going to be selling illegal liquor without a license. The subject was discussed here at length, and even though he tried to make himself a counter-culture pop martyr out of the affair, most people just thought he was an idiot.

Idiot - a person of the lowest order in a former classification of mental retardation, having a mental age of less than three years old and an intelligence quotient under 25. Yes, it fits.

Notice how he pronounces Peychaud's (Pay-Shoh's, the d is silent) Perchards, and then he adds Angostura bitters. And he's wrong when he says it's the oldest cocktail, as disproved by Robert Hess.

My take on it is that whomever bought the booze can drink it however they want to, no matter how ridiculous they look.

Um, no. Not if you're gonna be on YouTube when you're lookin' ridiculous.

Notice how he pronounces Peychaud's (Pay-Shoh's, the d is silent) Perchards, and then he adds Angostura bitters. And he's wrong when he says it's the oldest cocktail, as disproved by Robert Hess.

Peychards is kinda fitting, in this case, onacuz it rhymes with 'tards'.

And the oldest cocktail...I'd go with silibub...not literally, though. :puke:

Not actually disproved by Robert, but much circulated by him and the rest of the real cocktail evangelists. I think it may have been Phil Greene (a descendant of Peychaud's no less) who uncovered the newspaper article.

... in fairness, the man does state at the beginning that purists frown upon doing this.

I see your point, and that is something at least. But I don't think it's any more fair to characterize someone as a purist just because they frown on pointless bar stunts, than it is to characterize those who participate in an ongoing charade of general absinthe disinformation as menaces to society. Oh well, mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.

Paul was harmless enough when he had those "absinthe speakeasy" parties here in SF a few years back. He was a bumbling fool masquerading as an aficionado even then, and the intervening years have taught him nothing.

In spite of lengthy email correspondence and phone conversations over a year ago where I gave him the real Sazerac history, among other things. This is why I call it disinformation, not misinformation. He knows better, but eschews the truth for a flashier story.

Just because his last name is the only thing right about the bassward fuck doesn't mean we have to refer to him as Mr. Nathan.

I'm just saying.

Not actually disproved by Robert, but much circulated by him and the rest of the real cocktail evangelists. I think it may have been Phil Greene (a descendant of Peychaud's no less) who uncovered the newspaper article.

Yea, sorry, I misformulated my sentence there, I just meant that Robert corrected the myth of the first cocktail in the Sazerac episode of The Cocktail Spirit.

Wow. There is a lot of derision here. None of it justified.

Disagree with me if you like. Have a reasonable discussion about the content of what I produce if you like, but to just call me an asshole in a public forum... Really. That's not nice.

Since there seems to be a lot of strong feelings here and an insult for just about everything that I have done over the past few years I will respond to each of your postings below.

Sorry to have not done so earlier but I did not know there was a conversation about me.

Paul

Just because his last name is the only thing right about the bassward fuck doesn't mean we have to refer to him as Mr. Nathan.

I'm just saying.

Again... Not very nice and not very accurate. And no you don't have to call me Mr. Nathan. Paul is what my friends call me. Actually that's not true. My friends call me asshole, jerk, or fatty. People who don't know me well call me Paul. You may choose whichever epithet you desire. Bassword fuck will be fine.

Now that we have the intorduction out of the way... What was it that I was a bassword fuck about? Be specific and I will give you a very specific accounting of what I said, why I said it, and why I believe it to be true or appropriate.

Good evening Paul. Glad you dropped by.

There is an introductory thread. Maybe a quick introduction first would help us see where you're coming from.

Cheers!

Ooops, it seems you posted a few things while I was typing. Please, carry on.