minott

Le Tourment Vert

Just because consumer deception existed 100 years ago does not make it ok

I agree but trying to place myself back 100 years has me wondering about how many brands were available. What I mean is, wouldn't it have been mostly local beverages? Just a curiosity.

I've seen pics of the Pernod Fils cases labeled for overses shipping and so forth but...

Don't get me wrong. I'd be the first person to throw my hat in the air if regulations were passed that prohibited artificial coloring in absinthe. Until that point, I will accept that it's going to happen, but hope that they will at least look like normal absinthe. Blues, oranges, etc will be met with vociferous criticism.

Don't get me wrong. I'd be the first person to throw my hat in the air if regulations were passed that prohibited artificial coloring in absinthe. Until that point, I will accept that it's going to happen, but hope that they will at least look like normal absinthe. Blues, oranges, etc will be met with vociferous criticism.

Ok I will concede this point. I am with you here.

... Pernod 68 is not authentic.

I'd disagree that Pernod 68 isn't authentic. It may not be very good, and it definitely doesn't live up to its namesake, but I don't see any reason to say it isn't absinthe.

Artificial coloration is indeed (unfortunately) authentic, as there is plenty of historical evidence that many of the lesser brands were artifically colored.

Now, authentic to historical Pernod, THAT is a different story.

Fair enough. I understand the point of view that the artificial coloring thing is more about quality than authenticity. I'll admit that a lack of quality in addition to/OR misleading marketing really irritates me, and if there's too much of either, I cease to consider it authentic as a whole. I will try to be more specific for the sake of general clarity in the future.

Edited for even more clarity. Or a least less muddy.

We get hung up on authenticity a lot because there are so many patently inauthentic brands out there, but authenticity doesn't necessarily imply quality. I've had some pretty horrible absinthes that were completely authentic and made without flavorings or artificial color.

With this in mind the distiller Bruno Dellanoy and I made three critical decisions. One, we limited the proof at 100. Two, we reduced the levels of anise. And three, we added to the color for visual appeal. While I think we have succeeded in making a mixable absinthe, I believe it has come at a price in perceived quality and legitimacy.

Minott, I am confused.

Unless you have discovered the secret of immortality* and made these 3 critical decisions a long time ago, there seems to be a discrepancy between your statement above, and various sites that quote your recipe as being up to 100 years old ... or even older.

Old original recipe (Spirits Review)

From original family recipe ... over 100 years old (Absintheology)

and even your own site (click read more), where it states:

"We get our product from Cognac in France, and they are using the original recipe they’ve had for a

hundred years."

So is Tourment a 100 year old recipe or not? Maybe you should just switch back to the original?

* If you have discovered the secret of immortality, that's a great selling point which might convince many more to like your brand!

Hi Alan -

You're right that it's confusing. Lots of the recipe was based on a very old formula but modified when we produced in 2007. Sorry if it appears misleading. Such references are not found in our current communications. In addition, the adjustments we are currently making to the product, including increased anise and more natural color, are more reflective of the original recipe. I will try to contact the absintheology site to clarify. Thanks for pointing it out.

Minott

Thanks, Minott.

I am sure the historians here would be interested to see the 100 year old recipe! I have searched in vain for anything on this (I recommend The Absinthe Encyclopedia), but then discovered that your own distillery only claims to have been in existence since 1934.

Edit: added archive link for 1934 since the distillery site does not seem to be working since yesterday.

That could have serious implications with the TTB.

Not just them. :thumbdown:

As I've mentioned, a little patience with the product is was in order, knowing that those things take time. However, ample time has passed for LTV to clean-up their advertising. I think the new LTV is the same as the old boss. It's all about the money, I fear.

To be fair, it hasn't even been 24 hours since Brian posted about it. Minott hasn't even acknowledged that he's seen the ad or Brian's posting about it. I see CLB still hasn't cleaned up their act either, and their rep (Alan) was informed a week and a half ago, yet still no change. :police:

We need to also keep in mind that producers can't keep lids on everythign ever written on the net about their product. Which is why I asked where the info came from. Some sites you can tell use marketing verbiage, others could just be making stuff up themselves.

But there needs to be effort put forth to quell these types of statements, including the one about CLB. Public acknowledgement that these types of ads are misleading and wrong is a good start. :cheers:

We need to also keep in mind that producers can't keep lids on everythign ever written on the net about their product.

But we should do our very best to stop what is said about our products whenever it is inaccurate, misleading, thujone-hyping or plain stupid. In the last few weeks alone, I have persuaded two European vendors to remove references to Clandestine's thujone content, asked for a factual correction about La Clandestine on a US retail site, and argued vehemently about burning La Clandestine in a bar in Asia (the bartender agreed but says it is impossible to stop everyone asking for it).

And I have written directly to the customer cited by Phoenix (why does your name seem inappropriate when discussing the bad practice of flaming?).

But we should do our very best to stop what is said whenever it is inaccurate, misleading, thujone-hyping or plain stupid.

You must have missed the second part of my post. That's what I meant when I mentioned to you about people taking a myopic view of certain posts. It can create misconceptions.

But there needs to be effort put forth to quell these types of statements...

Public acknowledgement that these types of ads are misleading and wrong is a good start.

Absolutely. I have already written to some that I could see currently online requesting clarification. Our site does not even reference the term "thujone". Thanks.

Minott

I will say, I noticed the tweaks in your website content, including the vague reference to fire that was there before but now gone. You should be acknowledged for that. :cheers:

Minott, I'm glad you're implementing some of the proposed changes on your website. But if you have not seen it already, you will want to contact absintheology.com about their description. It is INCREDIBLY misleading:

LTV PAGE HERE

"WHAT DISTINGUISHES LE TOURMENT VERT FROM OTHER ABSINTHES?

3. Contains Thujone – Maximum amount allowed by US TTB"

and

"WILL IT MAKE YOU HALLUCINATE? We believe the effect of Le Tourment Vert is different for each individual. Try it and decide for yourself."

Also, it states on your website that LTV is "handmade". Please explain.

Lastly, your answer to Alan's question about the recipe:

Hi Alan -

You're right that it's confusing. Lots of the recipe was based on a very old formula but modified when we produced in 2007. Sorry if it appears misleading. Such references are not found in our current communications. In addition, the adjustments we are currently making to the product, including increased anise and more natural color, are more reflective of the original recipe. I will try to contact the absintheology site to clarify. Thanks for pointing it out.

Minott

The fact is, it IS misleading, and it should be changed to "inspired by", if that. Of course, even changing it on your website would do nothing to address the thousands of flyers, pamphlets, and other promotional materials where this is likely inaccurately stated...

But if you have not seen it already, you will want to contact absintheology.com about their description. It is INCREDIBLY misleading:

I may be wrong, but I believe he's already done that. I'd be happy to see LTV drop Absinthology alltogether. Pipe dreams, possibly.

I would like to hear about the other part of your post though.