minott

Le Tourment Vert

Especially if you're still aiming to make a low-price offering. A lot of us are willing to buy "every-day absinthes" if they're cheap, widely available, and at least of decent quality. The problem is that even such every-day quality offerings have in the past cost so much that it's wiser to spend that money on the best stuff available instead.

Spending $60 on Lucid down the street was a welcome change to spending $80 - 90 per bottle in a three bottle order from overseas. But it's still $60. Absinthe has conditioned me so that I can drop that much money on it without even thinking, whereas I have to do some finance calculating before spending it on a single malt. It sounds like a different number in different contexts.

But it's still $60. Absinthe has conditioned me so that I can drop that much money on it without even thinking, whereas I have to do some finance calculating before spending it on a single malt. It sounds like a different number in different contexts.

Most definitely--might you be hinting at cost per glass? :cheers:

Jonathan -

Thanks for your note. I like the flavor of our product though I am looking forward to it with slightly higher anise levels and better color.

Sorry for the delayed reply on this. Respectfully, the flavor of the current LTV is closer to watered down mouthwash than traditional absinthe. I'm not trying to be insulting, just descriptive. Dilute an ounce of scope and an ounce of a quality absinthe and see which more your product tastes like, and maybe you'll see what I mean.

As such I believe it will fall well within the WS parameters for absinthe.

Well there are some pretty lengthy threads on what the definition of absinthe should be, but the primary issues with the current formulation are in regards to sugar, artificial color, anise flavor, and ABV. If you can address those sufficiently, you'll be on your way. But as many a craft distiller around here can tell you, qualifying as an absinthe doesn't make it a good one.

Is it wrong for me to want our product to have broad appeal?

Of course not, it's just wrong to call it something it isn't. In this case, the common reference to LTV as "traditional absinthe" which us absinthe geeks find an offensive mischaracterization.

And you are right that many mixologists use traditional absinthes in cocktails very successfully. I'm sorry if I overstated the case. Thanks.

Minott

No need to apologize to me, I'm more interested in hearing the honest truth of your side of the story. I'm quite the libertarian and recognize your right to make and sell anything you want to. But respectfully, I'm more interested in whether you're honestly trying to make a traditional absinthe, or by your presence here you are just attempting to partially mitigate the negative backlash your product has created among absinthe enthusiasts.

I hope you stick around, some of the contentious replies are due to the passion many here have for the historical beverage, and the relative disdain for marketing-driven products that are heavy on image and light on craft. But I think everyone can benefit from continued assertive, yet civil, exchange.

Minott,

Try not to take too much of this criticism too personally. As John Lydgate originally said, later adapted by President Lincoln - and appearing in various permutations:

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.

A case in point I can think of off the top of my head is St. George absinthe. It is, by all rights, an authentic absinthe; distilled, 60% ABV, made with anise, fennel and wormwood among other herbs, naturally colored, etc. Yet, many here have expressed their dislike of it's flavor and, dare I say, some have criticized it for straying too far from "traditional". Whereas many others have been delighted by the maker's modern take on absinthe. Clearly, even a well crafted artisanal absinthe doesn't appeal to everyone. Keep in mind, however, that nowhere on the label does it claim to be something it's not; i.e. "traditional". It is what it claims to be; Absinthe Vert.

As for LTV, I know of a couple who absolutely love it. I should mention that this couple has an exceptional sweet tooth and don't really care for the licorice flavor so LTV is the ideal absinthesque (emphasis added) libation for them. I've introduced them to more traditional absinthes and they've grown to like them but not as much as LTV. By the way, they prepare traditional absinthes using lots of sugar or syrup.

I commend you for suffering the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune then taking arms against this sea of troubles by facing your critics head-on. I know few people with the courage to take the hits you've taken followed by polite enthusiasm in replying to each volley.

Thanks. I appreciate that perspective.

I actually find this dialogue helpful in better understanding the definitions of traditional absinthe and the importance of very clear communication.

I think we're moving in the right direction.

Thanks again.

Minott

Minott, the Wormwood Society is first and foremost a site where people come to learn about absinthe. Everyone. Please stay. And welcome. :cheers:

(hint, before you get told by someone else...you don't need to quote the post directly above yours.

I think the biggest thing is getting to know absinthe in general better. The more different brands you taste the more you know what the character of absinthe really is. They are all different but have a few central attributes that they all share. The issue with LTV before we even get into the details is that it just doesn't share those qualities. Whether that's a positive or negative thing is up to the individual drinker but whether or not it's absinthe is not.

Minott, the Wormwood Society is first and foremost a site where people come to learn about absinthe. Everyone. Please stay. And welcome. :cheers:

Kumbaya, kumbaya... ;) Seriously, do stay. Healthy discourse about absinthe is what this place is all about.

Let's compare LTV(and czechsinth, for that matter) to wine. You heard that absinthe was primarily flavored with Anise and Wormwood and had a green color, and what you created was the equivalent of taking grape Kool-aid, adding vodka until it's about 12,5%ABV, and called it wine. The color is not real and the flavor is simulated. This doesn't mean that your product is doomed, just that now that you have a better knowledge of what absinthe is, then you can make a better product, test the market for it, and then eventually readjust depending on its performance. IMO, you should not use artificial color at all, I would rather see an absinthe blanche than a faux verte. The color should not be there to imitate what it looks like in the movies, it should be there as a result of the herbs you used.

Molly, you're a Doll and as usual, right as rain. :heart:

I do have a better knowledge and we're making adjustments to the anise and color now.

I'm hopeful that we will have a product that you will appreciate.

Thanks.

Minott

I'm hopeful that we will have a product that you will appreciate.

Thanks.

Minott

No, Thank you!

I'll be looking forward to it.

Peace

I'll second that. Thank you Minott.

I really hope this is a turning point for LTV and I hope to be able to try this new formula someday.

Minott,

I commend you for suffering the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune then taking arms against this sea of troubles by facing your critics head-on. I know few people with the courage to take the hits you've taken followed by polite enthusiasm in replying to each volley.

I completely agree --- I hope something constructive comes from all this.

GREAT IDEA!

CANADA DESERVES IT! :yahoo:

YES!!!

YOU CAN DO THIS MINOTT!!!

YOU HAVE THE POWER TO!!!!

I HAVE FAITH IN YOU!!!!

Let the people drink in silence, will you? Otherwise I will pollute Canada with tansy...

HEY!!! CANADA STILL COOL!!!

LCBO regulations and limits are met, but for the moment I cannot promise anything or say something more. Future shall tell and the response to vdt'09 OR and vdt'09 "Colonial".

It's hard to tell when yer being sarcastic onacuz we can't see the frequency of tongue wagging right now.

Yeah, yeah, yeah...it just seems to have vanished into thin air.

Maybe his tongue finally dropped off from overuse, and he's in hiding.