Alan Moss

Absinthe in the NYT

Someone mentioned that my products were readily available in NYC. That's true if you visit Borisal Liquors (aka DUNY) in Brooklyn or Astor Wine and Spirits in Manhattan. But they aren't very well known, and that's my fault. I'm working on getting them into more locations, but owners don't understand the inherent costs in artisanal production, so they don't understand why it's the price it is.

Many consumers, liquor store owners, and bar owners don't understand absinthe, and seem to be under many of the misconceptions as the LTV owner as to how it tastes, how it can be used, etc. As I tell many people (OK a few), anise is the dominant flavor as that holds together all the other flavors.

I agree with Todd that there needs to be separate categories for distilled and compounded absinthes, but also sufficient education of consumers about what that means. A simple spirit is probably easier for the average bartender to use in a cocktail, but it's the same as using Clan MacGregor in a cocktail vs a quality whiskey.

I seriously can't wait for the two planned WS blind tastings coming up in the next few months. I sincerely hope that we get the level of press coverage that I'm expecting. I think it will be a huge momentum shift in our efforts.

There are so many comments at this point, extensive responses are going to be overlooked in the sea of others. I did leave a comment (pending approval), but I'm focusing more of my effort talking to the source of our problems himself in the Newcomer Introduction forum...

Kudos to Kirk for stepping up, by the way.

I seriously can't wait for the two planned WS blind tastings coming up in the next few months. I sincerely hope that we get the level of press coverage that I'm expecting. I think it will be a huge momentum shift in our efforts.

Have you invited the food/dining/drinks writers from all the papers up and down the East Coast?

Haven't invited, no. It's a WS/FV only get together. I doubt any would show anyway. But I already have agreements in place with several publications to publish the results.

I see they approved several of my comments, but refused to print the one that criticized the NYT for irresponsibly tasting at a single ratio...how convenient.

Haven't invited, no. It's a WS/FV only get together. I doubt any would show anyway. But I already have agreements in place with several publications to publish the results.

It seems to me a perfect opportunity to educate the drinks writers by having them participate in a blind tasting with the people who've critiqued their commentary about the absinthes that score high at WS. Not inviting them guarantees they won't show up. And it will highlight to them how WS/FV consider themselves the arbiters of absinthe taste, and they won't know why they should listen to what people have to say.

jmo.

I'd start with Eric Asimov of the NY Times. I don't know how to reach him, but my guess is an old-fashioned letter addressed to him at the offices of the NY Times in NYC would reach him.

Thanks, Brian.

I, for one, will sleep better tonight knowing that absinthe is naught but a bogus trend. :cheers: :yahoo:

Searching for absinthe in the NYT (as one does ..), I found this old article from 2000.

It is interesting in that it looks at London two years after the launch of Hill's: the absinthe craze had burnt itself out (almost literally). Why? Because the spin hadn't worked, the product didn't deliver on what people expected etc. That is why it is so important that people who drink absinthe enjoy it for what it is, not for what it may allow people to think it is. There are some lessons for USA 2009 here.

That said, it is interesting to note this from 2000:

"Modern studies have concluded that whatever extreme effects people had from absinthe were most likely caused by the high alcohol content."

Searching for absinthe in the NYT (as one does ..), I found this old article from 2000.

"He lighted the spoon, making a great blue flame. He let it burn over the glass, then swirled the bubbling sugar into the absinthe..."

"I ordered one of the house's absinthe cocktails, a Dragon's Breath, made with cherry liqueur, vodka and lime juice...Unfortunately, I can tell you: it was like drinking tomato sauce after eating ice cream."

"That's when people drink it, he said, usually a quick shot between beers or other mixed drinks, to speed up the lubrication process."

"None of them have hallucinated, but it has made them, they said, do things out of the ordinary. Mr. Hoyle, who rarely dances, danced salsa for three hours straight after an absinthe binge. One took a chicken from the refrigerator and beat it with a hammer. Another set a table on fire."

"At Alphabet in Soho, I ordered three classic absinthes and drank them within half an hour."

"It's no wonder the fashionable crowd has turned its back on absinthe. The genie is out of the bottle, and no one wants to think of van Gogh lying in bed with the spins."

....ALL OF THE RIGHT INFORMATION....

:thumbdown: