Jay

Absinthe-inspired art for the modern (hu)man

As I've trolled through the older and newer threads on this site, it has become clear to me that most of the absinthe aficionados here have a definite affinity for art, music, and paraphernalia of the "golden age" of absinthe, i.e. the 19th century.

While that's all well and good (and I'll admit to a little bit of 19th century romanticism myself), it seems to me that anyone who is seeking to duplicate the true mindset of those times would attempt to bring their favored drink into their own modern world. Toulouse Lautrec, Oscar Wilde, Edgar Allen Poe, Claude Debussey -- none of these artists sat around romanticizing how life was in the 17th or 18th centuries; they lived their own lives and achieved artistic immortality as a result.

In honor of their spirit and accomplishments, I submit that we begin a thread of strictly modern art (let's say art created within the past 25 years) which we find particularly appropriate in states of "altered consciousness" (absinthe and otherwise).

Submitted for your approval, I submit the following (some of my personal faves plucked from the nebulous ether of my memory):

Music: Interpol - 'Turn On The Bright Lights'

Radiohead - 'OK Computer' or 'In Rainbows'

TV: Firefly (tv series) - 'Objects In Space' (the final episode)

Angel (tv series) - 'Timebomb' (season 5 episode)

Star Trek: Next Generation (tv series) - 'Cause and Effect' (episode 118)

Movies:

Blade Runner (the Final Cut) - yes, I'm cheating a little since the original came out in 1982, but come on -- it's Blade Runner

Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind

Lost In Translation

Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle (no one said you can't laugh in your altered state)

What are YOUR modern faves?

What is this TV you speak of?

Mmmm, Radiohead. Decemberists, too.

Too many musical theatre songs in my life right now. That changed as of TONIGHT!

Where to start...where to start?

Since I've joined as a member there have been several experiences pertaining to art that I can't quite shake, and are too numerous to mention.

For example, the three times I've driven up to Montana with my Bro and met up with Joe and Jules for drinks...have been filled with a shit ton of good music, both going and returning. To me, those albums qualify for this thread, but I won't list them all.

In fact I'll try to list very few, Weezer's Pinkerton, Sleater-Kinney's The Woods, and Kings of Leon's Because of the Times.

Believe me, there are many others that we listened to. The Arcade Fire's Funeral is another such album, although for me, it's only contextually related to the second trip.

I watched the film Big Bad Love for the first time two years ago sipping on a very, very delicious raspberry pyment from a fellow forum member. There was absinthe involved there too, so I guess that applies as well.

The show Black Books, from which I obtained this here avatar, and the patient help of my Bro as well. That's it for now. :wave2: :cheers:

What is this TV you speak of?

Mmmm, Radiohead. Decemberists, too.

Too many musical theatre songs in my life right now. That changed as of TONIGHT!

Wow, sounds like a great night for you, Joe!

I do enjoy The Decemberists, particularly the 'Her Majesty' album, though I find that it works best with rum, given the piratical themes. (I should start another thread for favored rums, ha).

One of my top ten concert nights was seeing The Decemberists play in 2005, followed by The Violent Femmes (with The Decemberists' violinist sitting in on a few songs). Since that was an outdoor festival, though, I had to settle for a few cans of Sparks to go along with a contact buzz of what Bob Marley would have referred to as the great ganja. High times indeed, Luscious Oily Lesbians!!

Hey Baubel,

I'll have to look into Black Books, as I'm not acquainted with it.

Sleater-Kinney's 'The Woods' is an album I would spin a track or two from back in 2005 while I was a DJ at a college radio station, although I was never in an 'altered consciousness' while working (you've gotta pick and choose your battles, of course). 'Pinkerton' is likewise another album I've only listened to straight, but I will say this:

Godda*n you half Japanese girls do it to me every time does sound like a lyric that absinthe could only expound upon ;)

I suppose this qualifies as absinthe in art: I'm going to Burning Man 2010 and my project is gong to be...

Absinthe Oasis!

I'm hauling down my fountain, spoons, glasses, etc. to have a tent dedicated to free absinthe in the middle of an uninhabitable desert environment. I'm think I'll just serve a cheapie like Charlotte as it's free - no money tendering. :devil:

Bohren and der Club of Gore. It's like a less-lounge version of Badalamenti's Lynch stuff. Gorgeous.

Oh, Pinkerton- how I love thee. Black Books- I love thee too. I'm a big Queens of the Stone Age fan and have a heavy-mellow mix that works perfectly for imbibing. If you've never heard the track they did for Heavy Metal 2000 (called Infinity) - it's brilliant. As for films... Dangerous Liaisons, Cool Hand Luke, Amadeus, Ravenous (loves me some cannibals), The Big Blue, I don't know... there are loads. Something I have yet to try watching whilst having absinthe is to watch Koyaanisqatsi. I saw it several times years ago but it might be perfect for this.

I also like to thumb through art books, read, sketch, and paint. If I can find a BBC art or music documentary, all the better (the recent one on Van Gogh called Painted with Words is amazing). A bit cliché, perhaps, but it's what I like to do. :laugh:

:thumbup: to the QOTSA, Absintheour! Check out the now-defunct Tea Party. And one of my all-time favorite bands, the Tragically Hip. They could be considered an "acquired taste", (not unlike absinthe, to some?); I think of their music as sonic surrealism. Which of course leads me to the works of Salvador Dali (it's much more than just melting clocks)... And Alexander Dunn, Burning Man is a concept I find fascinating...

My picks are listed below. An odd arrangement of favorites if you ask me but oh well.

Music: The Dear Hunter (all three CD's are amazing!), Dustin O'Halloran, NIN "The Fragile" or "Still", Circa Survive (all CD's are great as well!), As Tall As Lions, Frank Sinatra (does that count?), Michale Buble "It's Time"

TV: Mad Men, The Sopranos, Arrested Development, Band of Brothers, Entourage, Weeds, Cycling Races, and Football (European not the wussy American stuff)

Movies: The Assassination of Jessie James, Atonement, Accepted, American Gangster, Green Street Hooligans, The Hangover

One of the truly great and most unique bands ever...the Residents

I really need to hear more of their stuff.

Music: Boards of Canada, Cocteau Twins, They Might Be Giants, Sigur Ros, Autechre, Stereolab, Tortoise, Stars of the Lid, Giggle the Ozone, Extra Life, Stern, Zs, Giacinto Scelsi.

TV: Kids in the Hall, Ren and Stimpy, Loony Tunes, The State, FLCL...

Movies: not as front-and-center for me.

Oh man how did I leave out Sigur Rose AND FLCL! The first time I watched that anime it blew my mind! I'm off to put on some Sigur Rose and then later watch FLCL!

Some great stuff in this thread. A few things I'm going to have to check out for the first time, as well as a few things I need to dust off. Excellent!

Oh man how did I leave out Sigur Rose AND FLCL! The first time I watched that anime it blew my mind! I'm off to put on some Sigur Rose and then later watch FLCL!

:biggrin: The first time I saw FLCL on Cartoon Network, I had no idea what I was watching was the final episode in the series! Too funny. But it didn't make much difference because it made little sense in the best possible way. :twitchsmile: