55 replies to this topic

#31 baubel

baubel

Hued-pottymouth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,716 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 08:31 PM

Posted Image

That's tasty stuff and it's been ages since I've had any. We've got a decent import shop here in town that usually has it and I've been meaning to go. Now I have a legitimate reason to do so. :cheers:

A little technological fix to a spiritual problem.

#32 mgs

mgs

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 10:46 PM

Nice that you know this ! Guaraná Antartica is the best brand....... try to find the "guaraná in powder" ..... it does not taste good, but it is energetic...... cheers !!!

- Marcelo

#33 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,246 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 11:01 PM

Of course it's energetic, it's loaded with caffeine! I used to make a "tea" from kola nuts and palmetto berries.
Kola is nice because it contains theobromine as well as caffeine. ;)

Maker of Marteau Absinthe
Master Distiller, Gnostalgic Spirits Distillery
www.absinthemarteau.com
Confessions of an Absinthiste

#34 mgs

mgs

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 11:23 PM

I just found some information in English.. nice ... I never read this information in English.... click here guaraná information

- Marcelo

#35 baubel

baubel

Hued-pottymouth

• 7,716 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 01:38 AM

:cheers: back at ya. I used to know a guy who had spent some time in Brazil. The locals told him to wash his hands after handling a cashew apple. I'm relived to know Guarana Antarctica is the preferred brand, even though I've never really felt much of a "buzz" from it. I have some guarana pills but I haven't taken them in over a year. Felt like I was a half step away from insanity when I took one once. But then again...that could have been a result of my job back then...

#36 Quartermaster James

Quartermaster James

• PipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 03:18 PM

I wish I could fly like Superman.

Just like all those other kinky bastids out there.

No, the kinky bastids are wishing for invisibility...
A Pox on the OLCC!

Y.M.H.S.
Quartermaster James

#37 Mephistopheles D. Grimm

Mephistopheles D. Grimm

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 06:37 PM

might be off topic by now, but oh well.
I prefer mugwort (Artemisia Vulgaris) tea to wormwood tea, it's a cousin of our gracious herb and not that bad of a smoke either if you're trying to kick tobacco. Both are horrendously bitter, like, scrape your tongue with a hot coal to get rid of the taste kind of bitter.

It's an acquired taste, and has a lot of health benefits actually.
It is my firm belief that Chance is the fairest thing in the world. She can never be fully swayed in ones favor, else she'll become Certainty, who is another- more vengeful- woman entirely.

"A man of wisdom knows his words will be ignored by most, but he still speaks for those few blessed hearts who will listen."

#38 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,958 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 07:52 PM

scrape your tongue with a hot coal to get rid of the taste kind of bitter.
It's an acquired taste

Award for most descriptive phrase or most ironic? :laugh:

#39 Mephistopheles D. Grimm

Mephistopheles D. Grimm

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 08:49 PM

scrape your tongue with a hot coal to get rid of the taste kind of bitter.
It's an acquired taste

Award for most descriptive phrase or most ironic? :laugh:

I was shooting for both. I'm skilled like that :thumbup:
It is my firm belief that Chance is the fairest thing in the world. She can never be fully swayed in ones favor, else she'll become Certainty, who is another- more vengeful- woman entirely.

"A man of wisdom knows his words will be ignored by most, but he still speaks for those few blessed hearts who will listen."

#40 nerologic

nerologic

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 09:57 AM

Rabbit,

Don't let other folks discourage you. I mean, if you believe hearsay, then you'd think that absinthe will make you hallucinate. I wonder how many folks taste wormwood with the preconception that it will be gross, only to "verify" their already-formed opinion once they actually taste it. After all, taste is so subjective that I rarely recommend discounting something until you've given it an honest chance. It sounds like you're interested for honest reasons, not because you're trying to get high, and I assume your concern with thujone content is to avoid poisoning yourself with the tea. But the tea IS bitter an isn't for everyone.

I, obviously, am a big fan of wormwood tea. With good wormwood, the tea is bright, grapefruity, bitter, resinous, and a refreshing delight. Perhaps I'm just hardwired to love bitter flavors. I used to sneak into my dads liquor cabinet as a little kid.....I stole his Indian tonic water and left the booze alone! It was the best soda-pop ever. Grapefruit peels, hops, and cinchona bark are also pleasant to chew on. If that sounds up your alley, then you might be a big fan of the tea. And it's not about intensity, you can steep a small amount and still get a lot of nuance. Especially from a freshly picked sprig. A hint of bitter is still enough to taste pleasant and get your saliva, tastebuds, and digestion going before an extravagant feast. (Apparently bitter things make us salivate and get our digestive juices flowing because so many poisonous plants are bitter....your body is getting ready to do battle. Now we can harness the bitter to prepare for more pleasant battles, like Thanksgiving dinner)

Using fresh Artemisia absinthium, or very carefully dried stuff, is the way to go. Avoid commercially dried A.a. that's "cut and sifted" (tends to hide poor quality) or that smells cheesy or like earwax (duh). Growing your own is the way to go, as long as it is legal where you live. It is not illegal due to any "effects," but because it is invasive as all get-out in some climates. It's primarily banned in areas with a lot of agriculture. If A.a. invades corn fields, for instance, the whole crop might become useless. Livestock won't eat feed that has A.a. mixed in. Just scattering seeds on the ground will yield some aggressive plants. Hydro may be an interesting way to go if you're concerned about invasiveness. For anyone not interested in growing it, Kirk Burkett at Absintheherbs.com, based in Virginia, sells the finest A.a. available, and also has A. pontica. Pontica is softer, less bitter, but still has great resinous fresh flavor, and is still a great palate cleanser or digestive. Absintheur's frequently use it for coloring vertes.

If you grow it, know that A.a. needs a lot of sunlight to flower. The flowers are the most pleasant tasting part. They are like a bitter, grapefruity chamomile. If you want to dry some, wait until a branch flowers fully, then cut the branch at the base and hang it upside down to dry. Once dried, pick the leaves and flowers, trying to keep them as intact as possible, and pack them in airtight containers and store in a cool, dark place. You'll notice a silvery, downy fuzz developing on the leaves as the plant grows. That's where a lot of the flavor comes from (from what I've noticed), so you can also make harvesting decisions based on color of the leaves. After a heavy rain, for instance, the plant will need a few days to get some of its nuance back, and the rebound of the flavor seems to correlate to the re-silvering over of the leaves.

As for preparing the tea:
Simply pour boiling water over a few sprigs. Use the leaves and flowers but discard the stems since they are grassier tasting (look, I know that sounds like weed talk, but let's all be grown ups here, okaaaay?). I use maybe a tablespoon in a cup of water, but start small and adjust to your taste. Sometimes I'll add honey and a bit of licorice root. The earthy, resinous flavors go well together, and a bit of sweet never hurts the balance.

I reviewed some scientific literature (actual science journal databases, not just Google) a few years ago when I started drinking the tea on occasion and didn't want to die. The data out there is pretty dubious in some cases, but after a very conservative estimate, it looks like you'd need to use >1 ounce (by weight) of fresh plant material per day to have deleterious effects to your liver and kidneys over time. That is way more than you'll ever desire to use, even as a bitterphile. BUT I AM NOT A MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL, and like I said, it is hard to trust the data that exists since misinformation regarding thujone and other components in wormwood is so rampant.

All I know for sure is that herbalists prescribe it, and I've been sipping it on occasion for ~4 years and haven't died. Moderation is always the key, and it's not something that you're likely to overdo it with in the first place.

Happy tea-sipping!

#41 nerologic

nerologic

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 10:25 AM

So of course I had to go brew some after that post. I never bothered measuring dosage in a while, but I just did so I could throw some figures out. 3 grams of freshly picked leaves (again, no stems. They're grassy. If you use them anyway, know that they're a lot heavier than the leaves, so double the weight for the same strength tea) in a cup of water makes a pretty strong tea at the upper threshold of what I find enjoyable.

I also neglected to mention that wormwood plays well with mint in a tea. Hooray for invasive botanicals.

#42 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,246 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 11:17 AM

TLDR

Absinthe Rabbit posted this thread over two years ago, left two days later, and hasn't been back since.

I'm just sayin'.

Maker of Marteau Absinthe
Master Distiller, Gnostalgic Spirits Distillery
www.absinthemarteau.com
Confessions of an Absinthiste

#43 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• 3,303 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 12:16 PM

Don't even get me started. Bitterest f'n soup sold in the world.
(Yes, I know the lettering isn't arched. Sue me)!

Posted Image

#44 baubel

baubel

Hued-pottymouth

• 7,716 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 12:56 PM

Here's a recipe for ssukguk. :cheers:

#45 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• 3,303 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 02:25 PM

Yum! Artemsia Vulgaris soup! :shock:

#46 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 03:39 PM

Don't tell Jay.

#47 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,587 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 04:53 PM

Doesn't sound nearly as good as Da Bomb.

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#48 nerologic

nerologic

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 07:27 PM

Mista baubel

Thanks for the ssukguk recipe. Half the people in the lab I'm working at are Korean. I have to have some friends over to make some soup one of these evenings.

Mista Stone,

Full disclosure: I may not actually care about that kid's interest in tea so much, but this did serve as a convenient soapbox to holler about the delights of a particularly herbal tea that gets a lot of hate. Also it served as a bit of a knowledge dump in a place where some folks might be interested. Yes, it has bitterness. It is polarizing, but the "I like it!" pole is exceedingly underrepresented. Polarizing flavors are some of the most enjoyable, after all. What is so enticing about Islay Scotch? It can taste like iodine, creosote, and kippers....on paper that sounds a bit repulsive, but on the palate it can be a different story. I'm just a fella what gots a story to tell.

On a side note: Have any of you folks growing wormwood taken notice of factors that affect its flavor?

Edited by nerologic, 23 July 2011 - 07:37 PM.

#49 Evan Camomile

Evan Camomile

Junkyard Dog

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,645 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 08:08 PM

I don't grow it but having sampled raw stuff straight off the plant in several distant places I can tell you that terroir can effect wormwood quite a bit. This also shows through to a distilled product (distilled wormwood by itself was used for this taste test not absinthe).

American Absintheur
Blog | FB | Twitter

#50 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,958 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 09:16 PM

For the last two weeks in August and much of September, we will be stripping wormwood. I do not believe there is a better way to ingest and inhale more freshly dried Artemisia absinthium. Within the first ten minutes, the whole world tastes very, very bitter. It doesn't go away but eventually, there is a bit of A.a. giddiness that takes over the crowd. Beers are bitter. Snacks are bitter. Colas are bitter. Forget absinthe. Or not. The wormwood bitterness is epic. Biblical, even.

Forget your wimpy teas. Come to a stripping party and take your wormwood like a good boy/girl.

Please. :twitchsmile:

#51 baubel

baubel

Hued-pottymouth

• 7,716 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 12:16 AM

Must be all them airborne thujonies making everything bitter. :pirate:

Seriously though, I'd love to partake in one of your pontica parties. One of these years I will, and that's a promise. :wave2: :cheers:

#52 nerologic

nerologic

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 07:33 AM

Been talkin' to you folks for less than a week, and already I've been invited to a stripping party.

Maybe absinthism really does lead to degenerate bohemian tendencies!

Joe, when do you decide to harvest? Are you in the "full florescence" camp that harvests each plant or branch only as they are at the peak of flowering, or do you find yourself doing something a bit more practical?

#53 Hedonmonkey

Hedonmonkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,681 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 07:33 AM

Me too....on the whole stripping party thing, that is. :wave2:

I pledge allegiance to Queen Fragg and her mighty state of Hysteria...     -Calvin

"Until you stalk and overrun, you can't devour anyone."    -Hobbes

#54 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,958 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 09:29 AM

Been talkin' to you folks for less than a week, and already I've been invited to a stripping party.

Oh yes. We are very friendly that way. :devil:

Joe, when do you decide to harvest?

We have so much wormwood, to even consider limb-by-limb would be crazy. At this moment, much of our wormwood is perfect. The flowers are beginning to form and the plants will start bolting any day minute. We harvest as much as possible now and continue until the drying shed is full. We purposefully leave plenty to completely mature for seed stock. Beginning with this harvest, we will till about a quarter of the wormwood field for replanting. We hope to continue rotating to keep grass and weeds in check while keeping the wormwood healthy. No one wants wimpy wormwood, rtight?

#55 Ambear

Ambear

Ermahgerd, Erbsernthe

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 10:50 AM

Speaking of seeds, a small, daisy-like flower was telling me one of their greatest wishes was to get a few.

You don't sell them by any chance, do you? :devil:

Edit: Sorry, a LARGE, strong, masculine daisy-like plant was offended by this wording.
Visita Interiora Terrae Rectificando Invenies Occultum Lapidem

Website | Blog | Twitter

#56 Bluewolf Pete

Bluewolf Pete

Multifunctional items are definitely favored

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 11:22 PM

Yup. it's certainly the time of year for harvesting. I have some Lambrook Silver growing at a friend's house, in optimal conditions. Driving home with a load of A.a. that's flowering is a heady experience. I adore the smell, but the intensity is a bit overwhelming. :heart:
If you want thujone, fuck off and go eat sage ~ Ron

"Let's louche these bitches up and party!" ~ Fingerpickinblue

Beware La Machine à décerveler! Oops, too late ...

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association