#1 Absinthe Rabbit

Absinthe Rabbit

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 04:55 AM

Hey Guys

First off i'd like to say i love your forums, i have lurked here many times. Its only now i have been bothered to sign up. Sorry if this is the wrong section, but it is more about Tea than absinthe. So i assumed this would be a good place to post.

I read about Wormwood Tea, and i am curious to try it out. But i need to know how to measure the thujone. Plus, I am pretty curious as to how commercial brewers work out their thujone content. Even if it is different to how the everyday person would do it.

Has anyone tried making Wormwood Tea? What was it like?

I have read the rules, and to clarify i dont want to know how to make Absinthe, or do i want to know anything about distilling... (I'll leave that to the professionals). I am just interested in the methods used to ensure that the limits of thujone dont exceed recommended amounts.

And just curious on how the brewers do it. I know how Absinthe is brewed without going into detail, but it just has me stumped. I am going to be growing A.A Wormwood in a hydroponic setup as soon as i get my seeds.

I look forward to being an active member of this site. Thanks for having me. :cheers:

Ciao!
Absinthe Rabbit

PS: If i have written something wrong, or have mistakingly broken a rule, i apologize.

#2 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,988 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 05:10 AM

Keep reading. Wormwood Tea (Grand Wormwood steeped in hot water) is going to be brutally bitter. Try a nice big tablespoon of Wormwood in a cup of hot water. Mmmmm.

Seriously, why would you want to drink that crap? Got wormz?

Now, head over to the newcomers' section and introduce yourself.

#3 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,181 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 05:55 AM

I use a quarter cup of dried wormwood per cup of tea. *devil grin*

The stronger the better.

Sarcasm is one of my character flaws. *smile*
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#4 Gypsy

Gypsy

• PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 07:08 AM

Actually, my herbalist had me drinking artemisia in the early 90's. I thought that I had chronic fatigue syndrome. Turns out I was just working too many hours, had little kids and a failing marriage, no wonder I was always tired. But, it was one of a few different herbs he had me taking. I believe it was to help with the liver, because he had me drinking chlorophyll and milk thistle as well.

In fact, I had it growing in my medicinal herb garden.

Yes, it was N A S T Y bitter. blech.

But here is a webpage on it's healing benefits, as well as how to prepare it as tea.

It's actually an herb used for many different things.

It's a stomach herb, as most bitters are, used for intestinal gastritis, digestion, liver disorders, anemia, fever, loss of appetite, bloating, hepatitis, jaundice, fungus, and yes, parasites.

"So I rise to the hill tops, I ride the night winds, I make love to the darkness and laugh at man’s sins" Cowboy Junkies

#5 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,988 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 07:21 AM

I would have made my herbalist drink it with me. I ingest enough A.a. during harvest and processing to serve me just fine. I have to question the mental stability of anyone that drinks or eats it willingly. "My GOD! That shit is bitter!" :twitchsmile: I'll take my wormwood in a glass of absinthe with one sugar cube and a nice ice water drip.

I thought that I had chronic fatigue syndrome. Turns out I was just working too many hours, had little kids and a failing marriage, no wonder I was always tired.

No doubt. I think your herbalist had the unique ability to miss the obvious. ;)

#6 Gypsy

Gypsy

• PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 07:37 AM

ha...well, I think it was more ME not telling him the entire truth. I was complaining of falling asleep at 8 each night, we ran down my symptoms and he suggested this regimen would not hurt for a short duration. I had also in the past had issues with anemia.

I was not wanting to look at my lifestyle OR my failing marriage so I didn't even bring that into the equation. heh

He was the type to not bat an eye at drinking something nasty, as long as it helped...he definitely took his own medicine. ;) He was an amazing man, had an incredible herb garden in his back yard, over 200 medicinal herbs growing back there.

He wanted me to apprentice under him. It is my one and only regret in life, not making time before he passed. I did learn alot, but not like he wanted me to.

"So I rise to the hill tops, I ride the night winds, I make love to the darkness and laugh at man’s sins" Cowboy Junkies

#7 baubel

baubel

Hued-pottymouth

• 7,724 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 09:23 AM

I've kind of always thought absinthe proper was in a perverted way wormwood tea. ;)

And I hear a little bit of absinthe does well in regular tea. :wave2:

A little technological fix to a spiritual problem.

#8 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,274 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 09:34 AM

I read about Wormwood Tea, and i am curious to try it out. But i need to know how to measure the thujone. Plus, I am pretty curious as to how commercial brewers work out their thujone content.

... I am just interested in the methods used to ensure that the limits of thujone dont exceed recommended amounts.

And just curious on how the brewers do it. I know how Absinthe is brewed without going into detail, but it just has me stumped. I am going to be growing A.A Wormwood in a hydroponic setup as soon as i get my seeds.

First, absinthe is distilled, not brewed.

Do a little more reading Rabbit, and you'll see that you're barking down the wrong hole. Thujone isn't a drug, and wormwood tea has no recreational potential, unless you consider drinking horribly bitter things fun.

I know this goes contrary to the hype of the last ten years and it may be disappointing, but it's true. You can thank the marketers of fake absinthe for creating that expectation.

Modern distillers—like their 19th century predecessors—don't need to measure thujone because it's not an issue. One cannot work out thujone content prior to distillation, because levels change from harvest to harvest, and from source to source. I don't believe any one source can be expected to be consistent with regard to thujone levels.

It's not the thujone that matters, it's the flavor and aroma, neither of which come from thujone. Good absinthium wormwood has an amazingly refreshing flavor and bouquet that blends harmoniously with anise—that's the reason for absinthe's great popularity.

But since you asked, once an absinthe is formulated, a sample is sent to a lab that is certified to do thujone analysis.

Maker of Marteau Absinthe
Master Distiller, Gnostalgic Spirits Distillery
www.absinthemarteau.com
Confessions of an Absinthiste

#9 buddhasynth

buddhasynth

Unseemly and Obtuse

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,647 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 10:32 AM

I thought Hops were bitter before I had wormwood tea. The stuff makes the bitterest of hops taste like tangy citrus. I've ingested Psychedelic potions made from things you don't want to know about that were far less nasty. Have fun!

A friend of mine likes to make licorice tea and throw a shot of Absinthe on top and add some shaved dark chocolate. I asked her to not tell me these things.

Growing wormwood in a hydro setup sounds like assembling a jungle gym in a phone booth. Just my $0.02
What part of Klaatu Barada Nikto don't you understand?

...because shoddy absinthes will be flavored with the lubricator of take the lead anise.

#10 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,988 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 10:36 AM

A hydro set-up for wormwood? I'm curious how that will work out. I just throw lots of seeds in the dirt. It's easy and they're happy.

Jules frequently adds a taste of absinthe to her tea. I like a splash in my coffee, especially when I'm camping. It really chases the chill off of a cold mountain air morning.

#11 baubel

baubel

Hued-pottymouth

• 7,724 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 10:48 AM

A friend of mine likes to make licorice tea and throw a shot of Absinthe on top and add some shaved dark chocolate. I asked her to not tell me these things.

Sounds pretty good to me. Whenever I have licorice tea, I'll usually enjoy dunking chocolate chip cookies in it. No absinthe involved, the thujone in my chocolate chip cookies is high enough already.

Makes me trip chipz like a crazy mofo.

Mess you up.

First one's free.

#12 dakini_painter

dakini_painter

Delaware Phoenix Distillery

• 3,825 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 02:51 PM

I thought that I had chronic fatigue syndrome.

Once reason for feeling tired all the time is not enough water.

I was at a store amd someone noticed my cards there. Wow. Someone is making absinthe in Walton. They really wanted to believe that something, some special effect, would happen when they drank absinthe. Even though "Nothing has happened when I drank it before" they said. Explained all the usual stuff. Even as they were leaving they were saying things like "But don't you wish it would do something?". No. was my answer. I probably could have sold a couple bottles if I'd admitted that there was some effect, but I'm sure he's convinced that I don't make "the Real Deal™".

And the disappointing thing is this was a normal person with wife and 1-year old child, didn't look like a stoner, or whatever. But he really wanted the myths to be true. Do normal people have some hidden self-destructive component of their psyche that makes them want to believe the myths that would take them down the road to drunken depravity and ruin?

"Good is the only investment that never fails." Thoreau.
"Don't you push me baby cause I'm holdin' low / and you know I'm only in it for the gold" Grateful Dead
Distiller and Proprietor, Delaware Phoenix Distillery, Walton, NY. DSP-NY-15019. www.delawarephoenix.com

#13 White Wolf

White Wolf

• PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 03:23 PM

Danki it's just human nature. Sorry to say we all seem to have some ellement of self destruction. Also there is an element in all of us seeking to throw off that which we see as repressing us. The freedom that is sought thrills and terrifies, so some want it in a temporary form. A little green glass of temporary freedom. No I didn't say it was healthy just not very unusual. Hey they told people the devil was in rum, mabe you should have pointed him over to see Captian Morgan.

Really it's his problem don't let it get you down.

Jim
"No matter where you go, there you are"

#14 baubel

baubel

Hued-pottymouth

• 7,724 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 03:51 PM

Don't you wish there was a secondary effect?

Don't you wish you could go back in time with the knowledge that you have now?

Don't you wish trilobites were still around?

Don't you wish your wishes would come true?

Don't you wish I'd shut up already?

#15 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,181 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 04:28 PM

I wish for whirled peas!
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#16 scuto

scuto

Taste sensation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 07:24 PM

I thought that I had chronic fatigue syndrome.

I can attest to this.

Thanks for educating that person, Dakini. It may have planted a seed, however distasteful he may find it at first.

My take on it is the lure of mystery/danger/a new high is strong for some, because they invest their imagination and hope in it--wrong place, IMNSHO.
"The Saint when he is drinking/Is also pleasing God/As if he were praying and singing." - Angelus Silesius, quoted in Simmel's On Individuality and Social Forms, p.391. (Yay for classical sociology!)

"Full bottle in front of me/Time to roll up my sleeves and get to work/And after many glasses of work/I get paid in the brain" - They Might Be Giants "Your Own Worst Enemy."

"I've an absinthe factory in my head" (jcbphd, 2009). [Liberties taken. -ed.]

#17 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,988 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 08:43 PM

I suggest moving your dilution ratio to 4-to-1. ;)

I wish for whirled peas!

Next time you're in Montana, I got yer side dish prepared. :cheers:

#18 baubel

baubel

Hued-pottymouth

• 7,724 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 08:52 PM

I wish I could fly like Superman.

Just like all those other kinky bastids out there.

#19 Gypsy

Gypsy

• PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 09:06 PM

another is staring at this computer day in and day out...you'd think since I had to work on it all day long I would leave it alone at night. gah

I don't own a tv, but I have 3 computer monitors up here in my office. heh

>junkie<

#20 Absinthe Rabbit

Absinthe Rabbit

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 12:04 AM

A hydro set-up for wormwood? I'm curious how that will work out. I just throw lots of seeds in the dirt. It's easy and they're happy.

First attempt at a Hydro garden. I have had the stuff to do it, but i have been putting it off. If/When i ever get around to it, i will post the results if people are interested.

First, absinthe is distilled, not brewed.

Was tired when i wrote it. I know a decent amount about brewing and distilling. Mind you i only occasionally brew beer (Its legal here).

Do a little more reading Rabbit, and you'll see that you're barking down the wrong hole. Thujone isn't a drug, and wormwood tea has no recreational potential, unless you consider drinking horribly bitter things fun.

I wasn't looking for a high :tongue: . I am just interested in Hydroponics, saw some seeds and figured i could grow them for practice and sell the seeds and what not. I have never had Wormwood Tea, so i assumed it would be worth the try while i grow it. But now i am thinking i don't want too :laf: .

I know this goes contrary to the hype of the last ten years and it may be disappointing, but it's true. You can thank the marketers of fake absinthe for creating that expectation.

I am still waiting on a bottle of Absinthe! I had some a while ago but i had a lot of beer and i got lucky on the pokies (I never usually play) so i was doing jagerbombs with friends. I know Thujone doesn't have a 'high' but wine makes me feel head heavy, and few other alcohols have different effects on me. So if anything really (in the 'effects' department) i would be looking only at that. But my interest is just in drinking.

In fact, I had it growing in my medicinal herb garden.

At first i read that as "Magical Herb Garden" :laf: Hmmm?
I have been thinking of growing a medicinal herb garden. Not a fan of drugs other than ibprofen, (That works wonders). Had some bad experiences with prescription drugs.

Growing wormwood in a hydro setup sounds like assembling a jungle gym in a phone booth. Just my $0.02

Mmm... Its either that or Tomatoes... Too be honest i am swaying between both. I think the tomatoes would be easier by far.

Thank you for the information, especially GStone :wave2: .

You have all convinced me... Normal Tea might be best to stick with. Or maybe Cammamile, I like that Tea.

Ciao!
The Absinthe Rabbit

#21 baubel

baubel

Hued-pottymouth

• 7,724 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 12:22 AM

Watch out for Danny. :twitchsmile:

#22 Absinthe Rabbit

Absinthe Rabbit

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 12:28 AM

Whose Danny? :blink:

Is that GStone?

#23 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,988 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 04:43 AM

Nope.
Danny Hawaii: insidious pillager of Australian absinthe stashes and WS member in excellent standing. :cheers:

#24 Absinthe Rabbit

Absinthe Rabbit

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 06:15 AM

I shall keep an eye out :pirate: .

A bit off topic: I was just looking at your site, Joe. I like the still.. Shiny :twitchsmile: !
I will be sure to keep lurking and and maybe buy a bottle when you open :laugh: .

That's if it's legal to transport it to Australia?

#25 MTgrayling

MTgrayling

Thymallus arcticus viridius

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 09:11 AM

Jules got me hooked on morning medicinals. A splash of a nice blanche in a cup of white tea is a favorite.
I had my taste buds amputated many years ago after an unfortunate toothbrush accident, any reviews or opinions I give are suspect and should be viewed as utterly useless.

Jeremy Bentham, the Pieta, and a Precious Few Grayling ; by David Quammen

#26 baubel

baubel

Hued-pottymouth

• 7,724 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 04:07 PM

A little blanche in white tea and everything's going to be all white.

I've never tried it, but it feel like experimentin'.

Pretty soon we'll all be drinking real herbal infusions. :twitchsmile:

#27 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,181 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 04:10 PM

On weekend mornings, I pour a splash of absinthe in my greeen tea. Good stuff!

#28 baubel

baubel

Hued-pottymouth

• 7,724 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 04:23 PM

Blanchee or veerte?

#29 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,181 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 04:54 PM

Usually a Red Derte Verte. *wink*

#30 mgs

mgs

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 04:59 PM

I was reading about this wormwood tea.... I never tried..... when I was in Colombia I was excited to drink the coca tea that everyone drinks there.... that was terrible, worse than old lettuce tea....

Now.... I know something that is energetic, very healthy if you take with caution. It is the "Brazilian Guaraná"...... guaraná is a seed and we have in Brazil a "pop" or "soda" made of guaraná that is the only brazilian drink that sells more than Coca-Cola..... yes, it is true, there exists somethings to drink as a beverage that is more popular than "Coke" or "Coca-Cola"...

anyway... the "guaraná seed" is a little ball that we can grind, or just buy the powder, mix with water and drink. It TASTES TERRIBLE, like mud or soil, but it DOES help in keeping you awake, connected and with some energy to study at night, or be awake for a whole night.

However, we have to be carefull. The brain needs actual rest. What we have in our brain is a battery that needs to be recharged with sleep. If we take guaraná to be awake, or have energy, we cannot continue to use for a prolonged time, because eventually the fatigue is worse.... I have experience with that... When I was in College I used to take guaraná to study, to go to parties and all that you can imagine... But I found myself complety tired after two or three days of using this seed.

Guaraná is natural...... you can buy in any Vitamin Cottage..... If you try the "soda Guaraná" the amount of actual guaraná is so little that it does not give any effect... Probably a cup of coffee is better in this case...

OK... just sharing my "knownledge" .... cheers........

- Marcelo

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association