Bradi

Perfect absinthe glass, or self-delusion?

I was visiting my local World Market picking up some wine over the weekend, when I stumbled onto what I BELIEVE to be a legitimate absinthe glass. It has that same shape. My wife and I bought four of them. I want the real thing, but I hate over-seas shipping costs.

Here's a link to World Market's website.

http://www.worldmarket.com/costplus/action...&page=1&id=2333

Alright absinthe aficionados. Is this a proper glass, or am I just a chump, deluded into buying a strange wine glass?

camile_glassware_lg.jpg

In case you didn't go to that website. I got the clear ones on the left here. Now don't those look like the spitting image of an absinthe glass?

Looks like they'd make good ones, but I've never seen one with a flared lip like that. If it didn't have that it would be close to an "egg" type glass. Have a look over at Oxygenée's site at the contemporary catalogs.

Also, note that in much of the art and posters of the time, absinthe was shown served in the same glasses as water, lemonade, iced tea and wine.

Here is a page that is no longer linked to on the site, but which shows some of the things I came up with in my search for local absinthe-worthy resources.

Nice looking glasses. Seems like a good absinthe glass to me.

Speaking of online resources, JsAngel on FV posted a link to some glasses on amazon,

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-h...4955582-3915126

They seem to have some good looking absinthe glasses. It was also mentioned on FV that the "absinthe goblet" is just rounded on the bottom and doesn't provide an accurate dose line. For that you need to buy the handmade reproductions, which you can get from the wormwood society (Plug :) )

Bradi, I think those glasses look cool and would make great Absinthe glasses. I looked for weeks and did not find anything that nice to start with. I think the large opening is ideal for non splashing etc.

I have a set of two Pontarllier glasses that my wife got me from France and that is all I use now.

Ok... I give...

So what is it that we actually look for in an Absinthe glass, and why? I understand wine glasses up one side and down the other, and the Riedel glasses really do make a difference. (Hmmm.... wonder if we could talk -them- into making the perfect Absinthe glass).

Cocktails can be served in almost any type of glass, and in their "prime" (ie. before prohibition) in fact were. I'm currently quite fond of using my Pontarllier glasses for cocktails.

When I think of Absinthe glasses I think of them as having some sort of noticeable marking to show where to pour the abinthe to, perhaps another water-line indication, and to provide a proper "fit" for an absinthe spoon, both across the top, and for stirring. (assuming of course you are doing the whole sugar thing).

The glasses I'm seeing people picture appear to simply have the general profile of what we see authentic absinth glasses use, but without the dosing line.

Or am I missing something?

-Robert

...and heck, the Pontarllier glasses are cheap enough (relatively speaking) that I can't think of any reason not to get some of those.

For completeness sake, here is the link:

http://www.wormwoodsociety.org/support.html

The Pontarliers from Phil are beautiful glasses... composed drinking, exhibiting the finer delectations of one who is ému; "lively under the influence of liquor, and in such circumstances... expansive, persuasive, and singularly eloquent." Introduce me to this guy sometime, so I can jab him.

The vintage reservoir glasses are pricey... good for proper dosing and being snobby. Sitting at an arranged table outdoors -- a dosed topette (complete with original bouchon), a Les Losanges 36 and a notepad for making comments about "grass clippings" and "Rolls Royce." ;)

Swirl glasses are my choice... rugged, good for combating for elbow-territory during loud conversations at tables scattered with ashtrays, sturdy against dead-on drops onto wood floors, linoleum, lawns... another person.

The folks over at Saxon Gifts have a decent selection of absinthe accessories.  They even have the glass that you are thinking about:

Okay gang...

so explain to me the difference between the 'tribal' and the 'Pontarlier' glasses, besides the 7 bucks?

:huh:

I was visiting my local World Market picking up some wine over the weekend, when I stumbled onto what I BELIEVE to be a legitimate absinthe glass. It has that same shape. My wife and I bought four of them. I want the real thing, but I hate over-seas shipping costs.

A very good friend of mine (also an ex) is a GM at a World Market.

'Maybe' I could talk her into a WS discount? ;)

The folks over at Saxon Gifts have a decent selection of absinthe accessories.  They even have the glass that you are thinking about:

Okay gang...

so explain to me the difference between the 'tribal' and the 'Pontarlier' glasses, besides the 7 bucks?

:huh:

About 1/2 an inch, but I hear that makes all the difference.

I used to put it in a nice art nouveau styled ice coupe (don't laugh!) because I thought the glass was pretty. Repro glasses are nice and all, but like Hiram said, it's the Absinthe that counts!

Derrick:

Looks to me like they mistakenly used the same photo for both the Tribal and the Pontarlier style glasses...

I don't see any tribal logo on the former, and that image that looks like a small chip on the front/center of the base appears on both of them.

Okay gang...

I believe they used the wrong photo for the item. Alandia sells what they call a tribal glass. Even then it's not a tribal design it's just victorian flourishes; but I think they wanted to market to the hard-core contingent.

Edit: What Absomphe said. That's what I get for making coffee while posting.

Sara: "You know Jane, I really love to drink it, but coffee just takes too long to brew."

Jane: "I know what you mean Sara, These days I just crack open a Rock Star. Now, I end up missing much less on the Absinthe forums!

We now deliver you back to your regular programming session.

My first absinthe glass was the La Fee crystal glass.

It's a fine glass, but expensive and delicate. Since absinthe was served in public taverns, fine crystal and silver spoons were probably not used. The accessories most commonly used were probably sturdier & cheaper.

post-32-1127844260.jpg

I generally prefer vintage glasses, although I enjoy the two Pontarlier replicas that Phil released, as well as the cut Tarragonna glasses & drippers.

One sentimental favorite in a vintage dose cut SL glass, which is a variation on the Chope Yvonne type, this was the first nice vintage glass I picked up a number of years ago.

post-35-1128049466_thumb.jpg

I actually have the green Cost Plus glasses.

I use them for water, but I keep them in my absinthe room.

Those who know me, know "the room."

Those glasses look as if they have a reservoir, but it's solid glass.

I'd pop for some swirl glasses or buy one of those sets from LdF that have glasses and spoons. A good investment for a newbie.

AT? feces, the 2 times I have run into thim, he was the ONLY person I NEVER saw sleep.

I had always thought he was some sort of 'Perpetual Motion Experiement' on the verge of success.

I'm wrong?