45 replies to this topic

#1 Alan Moss

Alan Moss

absinthe-suisse.com

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 09:50 PM

Here.

I hate it when, after all the good work put in by people here with the likes of Mutineer, the mass media has a bad article like this. The only trade person the journalist contacts is the Pernod brand manager who is quoted as saying:

"The reaction is often 'It's not as bad as I thought it would be.'"

Of all the great ambassadors for the business the WSJ could have contacted ... :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

At least G Stone's Marteau got a mention.
www.laclandestine.com: Hand-crafted in the birthplace of absinthe.

#2 Ron

Ron

Blind Eye McGee

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,136 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 10:07 PM

Thanks, Alan. The author spends the whole time perpetuating the "absinthe will make you go crazy" myth, and then offers his own product reviews such as this:

Lucid, in particular, tastes to me like an herbalist dumped his collected pharmacopoeia into a blender with Everclear and olive oil.

Kübler is also reasonably approachable, with Alpine meadow flavors balanced against the licorice.

And that's despite the fact that he had this to say of his own legitimacy to judge:

I am neither particularly fond of absinthe nor the least bit acclimated to it, which makes me an imperfect judge

Bleh. Tripe.

Anyway, it's good that he gave Marteau the shoutout for being the drink of "hard-core absintheurs." It's amazing we're not all smashing furniture and writing poetry.
Every hour is green hour. -Hedonmonkey

Sometimes bad just gets so bad that it breaks thru to the other side and becomes good. - Phoenix

#3 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,995 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 10:25 PM

Screw that.

#4 baubel

baubel

Hued-pottymouth

• 7,730 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 11:02 PM

Thanks Joe. I didn't bother reading the article, but your post there made me chuckle.

A little technological fix to a spiritual problem.

#5 Alan Moss

Alan Moss

absinthe-suisse.com

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 11:38 PM

Screw that.

I was thinking of sending him to the Lounge for real enlightenment ...
www.laclandestine.com: Hand-crafted in the birthplace of absinthe.

#6 Absinthe Ben

Absinthe Ben

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 11:59 PM

Wonderful idea, Alan. :devil:

He also describes t-jone as a "wormwoody compound". Sounds like he just spent houuuurs of research for this article...

EDIT: Are you kidding me? I just realized I have this guy's book. Still a moron, though...

DOUBLE EDIT: Changed effing moron to just "moron"
At least it's not Le Tourment Vert...

15 minutes of reading could save you $50 or more on shit absinthe:

www.absinthe-review.net

#7 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,274 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 09:25 AM

While I couldn't agree more about the quality of the journalism and the preposterous notion of WSJ allowing someone who openly admits his distaste for a product to then presume to evaluate it, we frown on personal attacks here fellas.

And I just want to get a shout out to all of you HARD-CORE ABSINTHEURS!!

(Now where did I put my straight razor??)

Maker of Marteau Absinthe and Foxtrot London Dry Gin
Distiller, Stone & Szilard Distilling Co.
www.absinthemarteau.com

#8 Ron

Ron

Blind Eye McGee

• Content Team
  • 4,136 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 09:37 AM

Yeah. I thought about editing my comment earlier. Good call on keeping it professional and not personal.

Sometimes bad just gets so bad that it breaks thru to the other side and becomes good. - Phoenix

#9 buddhasynth

buddhasynth

Unseemly and Obtuse

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,647 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 10:09 AM

pretty straight-up evaluation of LTV, I notice.
What part of Klaatu Barada Nikto don't you understand?

...because shoddy absinthes will be flavored with the lubricator of take the lead anise.

#10 pt447

pt447

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 10:19 AM

Goes to show the state of journalism in America: find long-standing myth, do no research at all except for finding ways to bolster said myth. And then proclaim hatred for the subject outright and then have legions of ignorant morons take your word as gospel, further perpetuating the myth!
Life is moist and stinky

#11 Ron

Ron

Blind Eye McGee

• Content Team
  • 4,136 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 10:21 AM

I mean, it's not like the WSJ has a small readership. It's really detrimental to publish something like that which will end up getting huge exposure, and get picked up, syndicated, quoted, etc. Shame indeed.

#12 pt447

pt447

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 10:33 AM

I'd love to have a conversation with the editor who thought it was ok for a journalist to declare in the article that he has not only no affinity for the subject of his article, but an obvious bias against it. And people are confused as to why print media is dying a slow and frankly welcome death???
Life is moist and stinky

#13 Absinthe Ben

Absinthe Ben

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 10:51 AM

Oh, if you guys haven't noticed yet, Joe has stepped up to the plate and left them a comment. Well done! :cheers:

Mr. Stone, you're just no fun at all! ;)
At least it's not Le Tourment Vert...

15 minutes of reading could save you $50 or more on shit absinthe:

www.absinthe-review.net

#14 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,995 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 11:45 AM

It is a distinct possibility I was drinking. I may have been drinking absinthe, even.
I was just happy to see I didn't resort to namecalling. I have been known to do that after
a few beverages.

#15 sardonix

sardonix

C30H40O6 aficionado

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,203 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 12:35 PM

What a hack-job. I envision Mr. Felten's editor saying, :g: "Heard some buzz about this here 'absinthe' stuff...get something on my desk by deadline." :huh:
I think, therefore I am. Or am I over-thinking? I am thinking it over...

#16 scuto

scuto

Taste sensation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 08:11 PM

Good, simple, straightforward comment, Joe. I wish the comments would show up on the original page instead of having a separate page/tab.
"The Saint when he is drinking/Is also pleasing God/As if he were praying and singing." - Angelus Silesius, quoted in Simmel's On Individuality and Social Forms, p.391. (Yay for classical sociology!)

"Full bottle in front of me/Time to roll up my sleeves and get to work/And after many glasses of work/I get paid in the brain" - They Might Be Giants "Your Own Worst Enemy."

"I've an absinthe factory in my head" (jcbphd, 2009). [Liberties taken. -ed.]

#17 Steveski

Steveski

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 05:04 PM

OK, so I'm a bit biased, but Eric Felten authored a great story in the WSJ Saturday, May 9 which had a color photo on the cover page of the print edition, and also on the home page of the online edition. Clearly, he's not a fan, but I think the publicity will do a world of good for the category. Our past experience is that when he writes a story, things sell in stores across the country.

Eric reviewed Mata Hari, Lucid, Pernod, Kübler and Le Tourment Vert.

The article can be viewed at http://online.wsj.co....html#printMode

#18 Phoenix

Phoenix

Advansed Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 05:07 PM

http://wormwoodsocie...?showtopic=4969 ;)
"He's a politician. It's like being a hooker. You can't be one unless you can pretend to like people while you're f***ing them."

#19 Ron

Ron

Blind Eye McGee

• Content Team
  • 4,136 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 05:27 PM

Clearly, he's not a fan, but I think the publicity will do a world of good for the category. Our past experience is that when he writes a story, things sell in stores across the country.

Eric reviewed Mata Hari, Lucid, Pernod, Kübler and Le Tourment Vert.

See, that's just the problem, innit. By means of the large readership of the WSJ, his "contribution" to the community will be questionable at best, and might end up making the wrong product fly off the shelves. If people think that the hard core Marteau is one of the types that will have you mad and smashing furniture, then perhaps they'll go with his Mata Hari recommendaton, or even worse...

There's no way to get around the the effect of his article on the reputation of absinthe is negative, if not detrimental to the work of awareness organizations such as WS.

#20 pt447

pt447

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 05:35 PM

Hack journalism leads to hack "common" knowledge, which always leads to problems in perception vs truth. This article can only either further the mistrust of absinthe, or promote inferior product that happen to have a higher budget for more clever marketing!
Life is moist and stinky

#21 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,818 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 05:37 PM

Honestly, I understand the whole 'even bad publicity is good publicity' thing, but I don't see how his opinion on how absinthe tastes will make anyone want to go out and buy it.

Also, not to be heavyhanded or anything, but when you (everyone) have an article to post, please make sure to do a quick search to see whether it hasn't already been published. Also please make sure to post it in the correct area (Absinthe in the Media). We have a lot of people on the forum who have auto-updated searches that email them all absinthe articles posted each day. We've seemed to have had to merge and move lots of these kinds of threads recently. Thanks! :)
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#22 pt447

pt447

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 05:42 PM

Whoever started that abominable phrase should be brought back from the dead and suffocated! How can bad publicity be any good for anything that isn't already an "outsider" product? Absinthe has had bad publicity for over 100 years and it didn't help all that much. In fact, if I know my absinthe history, it was bad publicity that partially lead to its prohibition...
Life is moist and stinky

#23 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,818 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 05:46 PM

But technically it was also bad press that allowed the Czech absinthe community to lure in tourists who wanted to try something taboo. That helped to kick start the absinthe renaissance, while simultaneously making our education jobs harder.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#24 pt447

pt447

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 05:55 PM

Excellent point. Very true. It's a double edged sword really, because now we are stuck trying to fight the Cezchsinthe revival that lead to the true absinthe renaissance. And With brands like LTV having a much better marketing budget/team than any other brand--which article was it that said it was not being served on an airline?--faux absinthe may not just vanish and disappear. There has to come a point where we resist and nip in the bud every perpetuation of falsity and slander, no matter how slight--pun in tended.

It is ironic that Czechsinthe helped facilitate the rebirth of traditional absinthe, but it is that very Czechsinthe perpetuation of century old myths that is still haunting absinthe today. That goof who wrote the article has way more negative press to draw from than positive. We're in the vast minority. Our battle is uphill because of the very thing that allowed us to even have a battle...
Life is moist and stinky

#25 Ron

Ron

Blind Eye McGee

• Content Team
  • 4,136 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 06:10 PM

So, in a perverted way, we should be grateful for the author's contribution to the awareness and revival of absinthe? :puke:

I think in cases like this, however much we want to believe that bad publicity is still publicity, I do believe that we could have done without this article. Lord help us if we need LTV's marketing department and the WSJ to inform us.

#26 scuto

scuto

Taste sensation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 06:58 PM

Edit: In response to Brian's last post:

That's one of the most (non-hipster-definition) ironic things about absinthe these days, and if I sit thinking about it too long my cheeks puff out and I start walking on all fours.

I'm glad we get to drink the good stuff! :cheers:

Edited by scuto, 10 May 2009 - 06:59 PM.

"The Saint when he is drinking/Is also pleasing God/As if he were praying and singing." - Angelus Silesius, quoted in Simmel's On Individuality and Social Forms, p.391. (Yay for classical sociology!)

"Full bottle in front of me/Time to roll up my sleeves and get to work/And after many glasses of work/I get paid in the brain" - They Might Be Giants "Your Own Worst Enemy."

#27 Steveski

Steveski

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 02:57 AM

Honestly, I understand the whole 'even bad publicity is good publicity' thing, but I don't see how his opinion on how absinthe tastes will make anyone want to go out and buy it.

Also, not to be heavyhanded or anything, but when you (everyone) have an article to post, please make sure to do a quick search to see whether it hasn't already been published. Also please make sure to post it in the correct area (Absinthe in the Media). We have a lot of people on the forum who have auto-updated searches that email them all absinthe articles posted each day. We've seemed to have had to merge and move lots of these kinds of threads recently. Thanks! :)

Mea culpa...I actually did wander around the site to figure out where to post this(the first time) and ended up in the main thread. Then when I didn't' see it this morning, I figured I must have posted it wrong so did it again. Sorry. Oh and btw...GREAT interview with Gary Vay Ner Chuk!

#28 tayker

tayker

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 05:06 AM

I saw the blurb about it on the front page and didn't get to read it until yesterday. One thing I learned about the WSJ, after having had the sub for close to a year, is that the quality of their journalism, outside of money, isn't top notch.

Oh, just an FYI, the WSJ has a wine service - which I've admittedly acquired some through. However, I hope this isn't something to keep the wine service going.

Is there any reputable news agency in this country anymore? I'm really tired of the sensationalism and extreme slant of every damn bit of news.
When a person who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, they will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest.

#29 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,818 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 05:13 AM

One thing I learned about the WSJ... is that the quality of their journalism, outside of money, isn't top notch.

I'd even take exception to the money section. They employ quite a bit of misinformation. The only problem is that most people can't distinguish between truth and misinformation in the finance sector because most people don't have the resources to fact check.

Media is inherently biased in regards to their finance section. Why? Because the only way to get people to keep reading their finance section is to prey on fear, greed and the prevalent 'do-it-yourself' mentality. If a magazine or newspaper ever told people to do the right thing (Work with an unbiased advisor and ignore the fear mongering media), they'd go out of business.

/rant off

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#30 scuto

scuto

Taste sensation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 10:35 AM

:cheers:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association