britgeekgrrl

Absinthe & Twitter

A thousand apologies if this has been mentioned already - I've been away for quite a while.

Am I allowed to (metaphorically) punch in the mouth the next person on Twitter whom I encounter claiming to be an absinthe expert but proves, within two comments (sometimes even less!) to be almost completely ignorant on the subject?

Seriously. I've really had enough of those yahoos, now. I've resorted to doing occasional recs and comments but talk about needles and haystacks...

Hoping everyone has been well in the meantime.

- Johanna

Johanna, your help is needed on Twitter! Ben and I have our hands full already. We had an amusing tweet or two with the LTV guy there:

LTV to Ben: "LTV is a real French Absinthe containing Star anise, grand woormwood and fennel. You should do your homework next time."

Me to LTV (Tweet 1): Absinthe_Review Network DID his homework. Real Absinthe does not contain sugar.

Me to LTV: (Tweet 2): Re. Absinthe_Review comments: FD&C Yellow #5, Blue #1, and Red #40 are not ingredients in traditional absinthe.

LTV to me: Pernod the first commercial absinthe "certified certified colors and FD&C yellow #5 added."

I gave up at that stage ...

Gosh, Alan, you found the EXACT guy that set me off.

Today.

It was someone else, yesterday.

And someone else the day before that.

Hm. Maybe I'll create an absinthe-specific Twitter ID, rather than making my absinthe tweets amongst all my other ones (same username as here - blatant plug!).

I'm hardly an expert, but I'm certainly better off than almost everyone else I've seen proclaiming expertise.

Or maybe we could have a shared acct? Folks log in and make tweets/reply to #absinthe tweets as they're found?

- Johanna

PS - thanks for the kind words, OMGBill!

aww, to heck with it...

I've created absinthe_info on twitter.

I know, I know, the signal to noise ratio is so high, I might as well spit in a rainstorm for all the good it'll do but I'm a glutton for punishment.

If folks would like to take a collective approach, I'll share the p/word with whoever would like to join in the tweeting, just as soon as I've tweaked the email settings so they're not pointing to my personal account any more...

(a shame there's no 'team tweeting' setup like there is on blogspot/blogger for collective projects)

- Johanna

Seriously. I've really had enough of those yahoos, now. I've resorted to doing occasional recs and comments but talk about needles and haystacks.

Yahoo? I thought you said it was Twitter!

(a shame there's no 'team tweeting' setup like there is on blogspot/blogger for collective projects)

- Johanna

Yes, there is ...

I set up an Absinthe Twibe, which allows us to see each other's posts on absinthe (as long as the key words absinthe or absinthes are used in the tweet).

This may be easier than each of us searching absinthe: there are over 70 absinthe tweets overnight ....

It may seem a bit complicated to join the Twibe, but once you are on Twitter, it's not too difficult (Ben managed it :devil:).

I use tweet deck. It allows you to create a 'group' so you can see all posts from the members that you've put in the group. You can also add an automaticaly refreshing search using keywords. By doing both, it makes it quite easy to keep up with the Absintwitter scene. :cheers:

And I had seen you more as a Ping FM person.

"We post your messages wherever you want! That's right, we support over 40 social networking sites and we're adding more all the time."

Next week, I'll be announcing the top ten rated absinthes via Twitter, announcing one each day. Everyone should make sure to submit ratings over the next few days, so we get proper results.

I plan to only announce currently produced absinthes that have 4 or more reviews submitted.

I use Tweetdeck (and groupings) at home, yes, but it's a hell of a resource hog - and I can't install it on my machine at work. Curse my boss and his insistence I be *somewhat* productive!

Looking forward to the top ten list, Brian!

- Johanna

Huh. I only installed it a couple of weeks ago, but I"ll check for updates when I get home tonight because, yeah, a memory leak sounds about rigt. Thanks!

- Johanna

I've got it running right now along with my browser and still am only using 2% of my CPU. It's been running all day, so it definitely seems like the leak as fixed.

Maybe they can help Facebook get their resource hogging taken care of.

Alan, you're the team captain seeing as you actually know the obscure tricks of Twitter. I still don't quite understand some things. What does it mean when someone mentions several names, seemingly in the middle of a sentence? ie: "@girl1 I've been hangout out with @guy1 lately, he's pretty cool." Does that just mean you sent it to both of them?

aww, to heck with it...

I've created absinthe_info on twitter.

- Johanna

Following both of yours as well as both of Alan's. You're doing a very good job so far, Johanna. If we can get a few more people, we could be like the Seven Samurai, just, you know, without swords...

Next week, I'll be announcing the top ten rated absinthes via Twitter, announcing one each day. Everyone should make sure to submit ratings over the next few days, so we get proper results.

I plan to only announce currently produced absinthes that have 4 or more reviews submitted.

Brian, what is your Twitter page? You should really build up your followers for a while or this will not reach many people. Twitter updating is the same thing as MS bulletins and FB status updates; it will only reach as

many people as you befriend, though I suppose if you publish at an opportune hour, it may reach a few searching for absinthe. I'm just asking about this because you mentioned that you just began using Twitter recently.

EDIT: Never mind, I found the Twitter page. You may want to hold off a little while until you build a larger following, but that's just my opinion.

We're gaining 3-5 followers per day and I'm hoping that will just continue to grow as more of the well known tweeters re-tweet our information.

Absinthekits.com is flooding twitter with their fake blog entries. I keep trying to smack them down.

Here's a passage from the most recent blog entry, emphasis mine:

Replica Absinthe spoons and Absinthe glasses crapper be purchased online at AbsintheKit.com along with added items much as essences to make your very possess traditional wormwood Absinthe.

Done!

We've got nothing for love for WS :) I can most definitely make that happen, especially being that I just took over all social media for MM! Just linked you guys up, and on Facebook as well!!

Edited by odiedog52

I have you guys in Absinthe Review's Top Friends on Myspace and have been following on Twitter for a while. I don't think I have you on Facebook, though. Can you give me a link to your page?

Bit the bullet. I'm now on Twitter as Shabba53. Yet another internet thingy to spend time on. :twitchsmile:

Twitchsmile is right, Brian. I refuse, ADAMANTLY, to add more junk to my life. I'm a member on twitter but NEVER am there and hope to keep it that way. Facebook is bad enough and plenty for me and trying to make myspace go away, so..

Not on Twitter, not on Facebook, not on Myspace.

Don't have an IPhone, don't have an IPod, don't even have a cell phone.

If it weren't for Tish, I probably wouldn't have a 'puter, either, but I'm glad I do, just so I can touch base with the rest of you technology/absinthe addicts! :cheers:

Thanks, I have just added you. I see you weren't kidding after seeing the last update! Don't underestimate the potential of Facebook (or any other networking site) as a marketing tool. If you target the right people you can acquire some real momentum with not a lot of effort, all without shelling out a penny.

I wonder how many networking sites a human is able to cope with.

I my case, it seems to be one. Never really got to use LinkedIn, and I haven't really used my Myspace profile since Facebook came into the picture. I do not even dare to think about Twitter ... I think.

Oh, and hi, Johanna. Nice to see you around (from another slightly irregular poster).