GrayWolf

Hallo Hallo!

1SubSailor: Oh thanks! I'd be delighted if she eventually orders something :) And thanks!

Absomphe: XD Well that's a new one on me.. The last time I heard someone mark a remark about Dutch as a language was that it was a excellent language to clear the throat!

Larspeart: ;) The benefits of being behind the camera!

TheGreenOne: Mostyly because it's a one woman show and I make everything to the wish of the customer. Off the rack corsets in standard size all look the same, and if used for tight-lacing there's a lot of damage that can be done to the floating ribs and the liver.

La Lanterne Verte: I'd be honoured! Thanks!\

Hiram: yay!

Gordon: Hiya Hiya!

:wub:

Right now Derrick is thinking, "How far from Oregon to the Netherlands??" :P

I have to say that the corset look IS tres sexy...but I still find myself cringing a little. Maybe it's sympathy pain or something.

Gertz: Hiya Hiya! We're the only ones so far?

No. For starters, look out for a certain goggle-eyed swede.

Peter of LdF, who lives in Paris, has also made a few appearances.

Rabelais is in Rome (and he'll be here for the next event).

Right now Derrick is thinking, "How far from Oregon to the Netherlands??"

Hey, it could happen. Mrs. Hiram moved from the Netherlands to be with me in Seattle.

... I still find myself cringing a little.  Maybe it's sympathy pain or something.

Try to visualize it from behind, that helps a lot.  :devil:

Very Nice Greywolf.

Reminds me of some I made, way back when I did costumes for the stage.

I ended up make 2 out of 3 that were needed for the show. We went through the whole process, muslin mockups for sizing and fitting, then finished ones complete with the mesh metal stays. Was a very enjoyable project, especially the fittings :P

La Lanterne Verte: It's not that bad actually. But then again, I've been a 'tight-lacer' for a couple of years now...

TheGreenOne: Depends on your Absinthe collection ;)

Gertz: Ah yes, seen that scary icon somewhere. For some reason it freaks me out a bit! Also saw Marcus from Absinthe distrubution I believe.

Hiram: Try to visualize it from behind, that helps a lot. Don't get me started on that. First time I ever went to a tight lacing corset for training I actually got friction burns from the lacing. nowadays I tend to always wear a corset liner.

DesertWolf: That's what I love about my clients.. they all come with their own designs, and each and everyone of them is just so unique! I don't think (or hope) I'll ever get tired of making corsets.

Hiram: Try to visualize it from behind, that helps a lot. Don't get me started on that. First time I ever went to a tight lacing corset for training I actually got friction burns from the lacing. nowadays I tend to always wear a corset liner.
I was just referring to the effect it has on the figure: corset + jeans + butt = :D

Ari: Oh man, I hate those.. they're overpriced and utterly useless as corsets

Hiram: Oh, this one especially.. since the complete outfit has a bustle!

Ari: Oh man, I hate those.. they're overpriced and utterly useless as corsets

What annoys me are the tanktop shirt thingies (Clothing names have vanished from my head right now) that are just one step up from being the corset equivalent of a tux printed onto a t-shirt. The sad thing is, I bet you could get a real corset for less than a designer label fake one.

When the boning isn't just tissue paper in seams but only a colour change with no bulging at all, it just looks tacky.

Ari: Ugh.. you're absolutely right.. the only right boning for a corset is steel..

Gertz: Czech stuff is 'registered' as 'Crapsinthe' in my book

Yow!

Off the rack corsets in standard size all look the same, and if used for tight-lacing there's a lot of damage that can be done to the floating ribs and the liver.

OK, I have to ask: Where do the ribs and liver go? After "adjusting" to a corset (as you mention getting down to a 18" to 20" waist), does the "change" persist when the corset is off? I guess I am wondering if you have to make sure to wear the corset on a regular basis to keep the form/figure or is the rib cage/peritoneal cavity rendered "malleable" or "flexible" after using the corset for a while? Ignoring aesthetics for the moment, there must be extremes of corset training that become unhealthy?

My other question has more to do with motivation. Is it the shape that is most desirable or is it in part the "confining" nature of the corset that is appealing?

Last question. I thought corsets were worn under other clothing (concealed), but nowadays they seem to be on display. Is this just modern usage or is my sense of history just quaint? Given your care and attention to detail, I'd rather the corsets be in plain view!

Auguru&Hiram: The ribcage moves upwards in a good corset instead of inwards (which crushes just about everything and hurt). This movement of upwards instead of inwards is achieved by the way the boning runs inside it. Stomach goes up, liver comes in the upper section as well, rest goes down. As seen in this illustration:

Click here

Corset training is taken gradually... so much so that people can reach extremes without much physical pains since the body gets time to adjust. I myself do not fo further then 'the golden rule' of edwardian times, that the waist should be no smaller (or just a little) then the upper leg.. which puts me in the 18"to 20" range.

normal skeleton

Corsetted skeleton

The bones of female are more fexible then those of males, and with training they can be bend in dramatic shapes. If you take a corset off everything gradually goes back again. HOWEVER, the ribcage DOES shrink over long time wear and doesn't go out again until the body feels the need for it.

A good example of long term effect can be seen in Cathie Jung's x-rays:

Before waist training

While waist training

After waist training

To me it is just the whole elegance of the flow of the torso that is 'tied down' to the golden rule. The whole 'style' in general of that era just appeals to me.. Love the looks.

Ofcourse that is a addiction part.. woman that want to get the tiniest waist size possible. For me personally I don't see myself doing this.. because anything past that golden rule just look deformed in my eyes. I do admire their spirit in the waist training (it's not nothing to be wearing a training corset 23/7 going tighter everytime the body has adjusted to it) and I applaud them for their hard work.. but it's not for me.

Some examples

Cathie Jung

Spook, world record holder (officially, there are a few that go smaller but don't look for the media)

Sylphide

Lacie (as you can see ribcage has already been long-term altered by waist training)

Annalai

Most of the times there was a simple undercorsets and a rather dramatic 'overcorset', which had no boning whatsoever but was the same size as the corset and thus fell over it perfectly. However, sometimes corsets were worn over the clothing, and only a simple jacket was pinned on top of it.

Nowadays.. well.. you can make it as crazy as you'd like.

Quite an interesting bit of info.

Body modification and society in different eras is fun to study, I'm sure the edwardian people would scream in fright at some of our rock stars.

I've noticed the waist training corsets all have the same shape, are the lighter curve corsets more for basic wear and the hour glass shaped corsets more for waist training?

TheGreenOne: Anything smaller than the upper leg looks deformed in my eyes.. but still, it took them a lot of work to get that far. So far I personally know a couple of them, and they have had no problems what so ever. Spook stopped at achieving the world record and nowadays she keeps it at 18" (her upper leg) which look a lot better.

I guess it all boils down to the gradual training of the waist. Give it time to move about.

Derrick: You and me both. The first time I actually saw Sylphide (before I got into traditional tightlacing) I couldn't believe what I saw..

Ari: Todays tightlacers go a lot further then most people back in 'the days'. Portraits were exaggerated, and there were only a hand full of tightlacers.

As for types. The one corset anyone can wear without any special training is a plain waist.. It's a natural shape but is very limited. This is the shape that goes for most common fashion type corsets (still the real things though).

I guess in that degree Both the vase and the stem waist are the worst to wear, and take training.

The stem waist take in the waist alone, and leave the ribcage and hips be. Althought they are better for the ribcage the stretch the skin in a bit.. and the curve they give is rather dramatic. Only professional tight-lacers wear them (Spooj got her record in it)

Stem waist example

The vase shape looks less dramatic, because it builds down towards the waist line, but a vase shape alters the ribcage. It does look a lot more 'natural' though, and it is the look I prefer.

Edwardian line (same as mine) but in ivory, and without the hips covered

I can see where moderation has it's virtues.  Don't the more extreme examples pose health risks?

I read a book about the history of corsets a long time ago. According to this book, the supposed "health risks" were mainly propaganda from German physicians. Germans felt their big women couldn't compete with little French. As a result of strong nationalism they did whatever they could to give corsets a bad name. This included exaggerating or lying about the effects of corset use. (For some reason I think of thujone while typing this. It amazes me how those nutty Victorians thought they could get away with fabricating scientific facts.)

However, as far as tight lacing, I think the only real complication would be the weakening of back muscles after years of use. The tighter you lace, the more your muscles rely on the corset to support you. The more you need support from a corset, the tighter you lace. An ongoing cycle of deterioration.

For those who didn't know this, there is big big difference between wearing a corset and tight lacing. It goes without saying that most women of the 18th century wore them or at least didn't think much of those who did. What was frowned upon was tight lacing. It's the equivalent of women today who diet, but think bulimia is disgusting. In my opinion, I see it merely as body modification. Not too distant from tattoos, scarring, implants, or stretching out your neck and lower lip.

If anyone is interested in that book, it's called The Corset by Valerie Steele. Numerous beautiful illustrations/photographs. I highly recommended it. Where's the smiley that has trouble breathing?

Oh, I can't believe I almost forgot. Hello, GrayWolf. Welcome to the forum.

And that book is very good recourse as well

there is big big difference between wearing a corset and tight lacing

Oh yes..

Tight-lacing indeed falls under the body modifications, and these kinds of corsets I do not make for under-aged woman (and men!).

And the breathing isn't too bad actually.. just don't expect me to run a marathon in it ;)

EDIT: And thanks!

I'm glad that health isn't an issue but I certainly agree that a waist smaller than the upper leg looks deformed.

BTW, this is one of the more interesting and informative threads I've read on an absinthe forum.

It amazes me how those nutty Victorians thought they could get away with fabricating scientific facts.

It probably shouldn't, it still keeps happening and happening.

GrayWolf, I agree; the extremes are interesting—in a conjoined twins sort of way—but the gentle curves are much more attractive.

Considering humankinds fixation on other, more dramatic forms of body modifaction, I see this one as harmless and, where it isn't taken to extremes, very attractive. Grey goes just far enough to pull of the look exceptionally well. A could of the examples shown are... 'a tad' too much for my taste. anything in the 14-16 range just looks dangerous. Luscious Oily Lesbians!!

Foot binding (China, s. america), neck extensions (central africa), and most of all, skull reshaping (Egypt), as well as lip plating, branding, forking of the tongue, 'posting'... any one of these makes a corset seem tame.

Lovely work, Grey, and Ilike the Edwardian style you embrace. If I ever get over to your neck of the woods, I'll bring a few home... for someone else of course!