GrayWolf

Hallo Hallo!

Well, I've been watching the 'AbsintheLovers' community for a while now on Livejournal (ever since I found out there was one) and recently found a link posted by Hiram to this place, and I thought why not?

So, a big hello to everyone from this merry corsetiering taxidermist in the Netherlands!

Hi Greywolf. Wecome to the forum (I am sure Hiram will move this thread to Newcommer intros)

Tell us about yourself and your Absinthe experience

Wecome!

Corset making and taxidermy? Seems like a most unusual pairing. If I recall correctly, whale bone was used in early corsets. I am guessing you use synthetics?

The green corset is divine!

(I hadn't thought much about corsets until I read about Fakir Musafar in "Modern Primitives", but I am nothing if not astonished by the ingenuity of the makers and the incredible discipline of those who wear them...)

Derrick: Glad to have arrived! and many thanks for the kind compliment! Soon to come is a 20" red edwardian, but this green one will stay as a avatar since it's fitting

ShaiHulud: Woops! I seem to have overlooked the newcomers thread... sorry about that!

Well, a bit about myself. Phew. I studied at the art academy here in the Netherlands, where I soon decided to stop my study since I realised you don't need a piece of paper to prove you can draw or paint. Besides that orders were rolling in and I decided to start on my own.

Next to arts I've been a professional 'tight-lacer', and altered my waist more then 6" within 2 months (Nowadays sporting between a 20"and 18"waist line). The only downside of it was that custom made corsets are oh so very pricey. I decided to make a little study out of period corsets and the construction of those and ended up making them for myself. Receiving so much comments about them, I eventually made a business out of it.

Taxidermy.. ooo.. I guess I kinda rolled into it.A bird hit the window one day when I was younger. I was still studying biology at that point in time and, well, everyone knows the godawful taxidermy works that are presented in a school. The bird was very pretty, and I didn't want to let it go to waste.. so I picked a knife and..erm.. well, just started. Later on I improved on techniques and stuff.. and nowadays I provide high quality work. November will be the championships. let's see if I can get all the masterpoints I need for a title!

Absinthe. It was at one of the fairs where I ran into a moving stand called 'the green fairy'.. basically two people dressed up as green faeries selling glasses of it. I guess that's where I had my first glass of some Spanish 'crapsinthe'.

It wasn't long before I started reading up about it, and I bought Un Emile.. now that was a world of difference to me. I actually liked the stuff. From there on it soon went to the Jade series, of which I still love the Edouard best.

Hiram: Ben je nou nederlands? woon je in nederlands of ken je het gewoon? Maar in ieder geval bedankt voor de link, zal me hier reuze vermaken!

Ari: Thanks! It's based off the 1910 styling of corsets, and this one has a 21" waist line.

G&C: Thank you

Desertwolf: Thanks! Yeah, I had to make a wolves corset for meself. Also made a brown tight-lace one with wolves which was for the summer.

Grey Boy: Thanks! And not to worry, it happens a lot.. but then again both kinds of spelling are possible ;)

Monsieur Grim: Thanks! And I will indeed!

Auguru: Hiya! Well, in the really early days whale boning was used.. but it soon switched over to steel, which is still being used to this day and which is also what I use for my corsets.

And you think corsetry and taxidermy is a odd combo? You should have seen the faces when a young female walked into the Dutch Taxidermy Federation.

And yes, the discipline for tight-lace corsets is needed. It takes a bit of training to get it down by a lot of inches, and requires 23/7 wear sometimes. But for those that love it there's nothing else that comes close to the style and elegance of it.

Absomphe: I hear that a lot XD Thanks!

Derrick: In fact I do. I just openend it up this year, and I've been trying to get in contact again with the corsets I've done in the past.. but so far only newer corsets have pictures on the website. As soon as pictures from more of my work comes in I'll be sure to post them, until then it's only the newer stuff:

http://www.graywolf-corsets.com

Basically customers get to design the entire corset themselves and have me worry about the professional construction and what not. Wheter they draw it themselves or want a reproduction from for example a painting I will look into the possiblities of it.

Graywolf: No I'm not Dutch. My wife, who is originally British, grew up in Holland for 27 years. She lived in Lisse until she came here to Seattle a few years ago. I pick up a few things from her now and again.

Hiram: Ben je nou nederlands? woon je in nederlands of ken je het gewoon? Maar in ieder geval bedankt voor de link, zal me hier reuze vermaken!

Nederlands gebabbel - heeft 'ie van mij : )

Ik ben van origine Brits, en heb 27 jaar in NL gewoond (ben nu 3 jaar in Seattle en getrouwd met Hiram). Ik probeer zoveel mogelijk bij te blijven met m'n Nederlandse taal, en aangezien Hiram pienter en snel van leers is kent hij ondertussen ook een beetje Nederlands.

Ik ben hier niet echt actief, LJ is meer mijn ding.

ようこそ!面白き人に出会えるのは珍しい事だよ。

ええと…ネペンセスしかこれ分かれないかな…

Sorry, got a bit carried away there. Welcome!

And I think everyone's avatar here is pretty cool. But maybe that's just the anise talking.

Bradi: Thank you!

Hiram: Ahh! That explains it! I've been wondering about that since your reply post to that Decod guy on LJ!

Gertz: Hiya Hiya! We're the only ones so far?

TheGreenOne: Thank you very much!

Mrs. Hiram: Ik ken het gevoel. LJ is redelijk verslavend (mijn usernaam is "_graywolf_") Ik hoorde dat je in Lisse had gewoond? Ken daar eigenlijk het kasteel waar ik een aantal keren heen moest voor tekenen :) Leuk dat je Nederlands aan Hiram leert!

*translation for those wanting to follow* I know the feeling. LJ is pretty addictive (my username is "_graywolf_". I heard you lived in Lisse? I only really know the castle there were I had to go to a few times for drawing. Nice that you're teaching Hiram Dutch!

ShaiHulud: Agreed, the avatar image is gorgeous!

Larspeart: Best netjes toch! In de foto is hij nog op 22" maar tegenwoordig wordt hij helemaal dicht gedragen, op ongeveer 20" dus.

*translation* You did pretty good! In the picture the corset is worn on 22" but nowadays I wear it fully closed, which is about 20".

AndrewT: All I got was a bunch of blocks.. but I'm guessing it probably was some kind of chinese lettering? But Thanks! And it's not just the anise talking, all avatars are great around here!

Yes, the Dutch are sexy.

Gray, that is a result of my time as a photographer. I learned more then I ever thought I would about fashion.

I'm just glad I called the size right, :)

Welcome if I havn't already said so!

Going by the rules of the forum, is it alright if I pass on part of your post (your website) to a friend of mine into (pun intended) corsets? Your site is pretty impressive.