Photo

Waldorf-Astoria Bar Book (before prohibition)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Gil

Gil

• PipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 02:06 PM

If there has already been a reference to this book please forgive me, if not I will be happy to share the Absinthe cocktails mentioned. Gil

Posted Image

Edited by Gil, 30 April 2009 - 02:21 PM.

"It's not that we don't have enough scoundrels to curse; it's that we don't have enough good men to curse them."
--G.K. Chesterton

#2 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,805 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 02:47 PM

You may or may not have looked through the main site. There is a section on absinthe cocktails where, from what I know, all of the Waldorf recipes are listed, as well as those from the Savoy, etc.

Good find though!
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#3 Gil

Gil

• PipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 03:10 PM

You may or may not have looked through the main site. There is a section on absinthe cocktails where, from what I know, all of the Waldorf recipes are listed, as well as those from the Savoy, etc.

Good find though!

Found them ---- Sorry, I ran the name Waldorf through the search engine with no results. I suppose that is for the forum pages only.

Do you have any information from The Gentleman's Companion / Derrydale Press 1939 - Vol II Exotic Drink Book . 1250 copies printed - I have a few Absinthe items from that book as well.

"It's not that we don't have enough scoundrels to curse; it's that we don't have enough good men to curse them."
--G.K. Chesterton

#4 Robert (DrinkBoy) Hess

Robert (DrinkBoy) Hess

Advanced Member

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 03:13 PM

What info do you need on the Gentleman's Companion? There is a reprint of it available which is titled "Jigger, Beaker and Glass: Drinking Around the World"

Posted Image
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1586670506/

#5 Gil

Gil

• PipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 04:02 PM

What info do you need on the Gentleman's Companion? There is a reprint of it available which is titled "Jigger, Beaker and Glass: Drinking Around the World"

Thank you, Robert

I am very glad to see this book reprinted. I am going to share that information with a few of my friends who have been looking for copies of the original. I strongly recommend it to those who enjoy reading (and using) the old bar books.

It was first published in a two book set by Charles H. Baker Jr. --- Vol. I being worldwide exotic cookery, Vol II worldwide exotic drinks. Both are fantastic. I have the original set from 1939 and have enjoyed preparing food and drink from both ---

I'll stick my neck out here (hoping I am not duplicating a previous post) and share some of it's pages. I have searched the cocktail section on this forum and see no absinthe recipes identical to these. Similar, but a few differences in both ingredients and preparation---

Plus C.H. Baker adds a little personal flare to his cocktail stories !!!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

For those who have not seen this before, I hope you enjoyed it.

Edited by Gil, 02 May 2009 - 06:40 AM.

--G.K. Chesterton

#6 MMarking

MMarking

Resident Francophile

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 10:11 PM

Please define pony as a unit of measure. (Sorry for my ignorance.)
Good friends are the family you wish you had been born into.

War is not the answer, for only love can conquer hate.
Marvin Gaye

#7 Gil

Gil

• PipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 04:15 AM

Most common Jigger - large end 1 1/2 oz. Pony end - 1 oz.

but, the definition is still unclear

It's the "small" end of the Jigger

It can be - (2 oz. /1 oz.) - (1 oz. / 3/4 oz.) (1 oz / 1/2 oz.) --- etc.

Edited by Gil, 06 May 2009 - 12:40 PM.

--G.K. Chesterton

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association