Sign in to follow this  
Ari (Eric Litton)

Absinthe Art

Looking around for a bit on the web and I can't find many good original/modern absinthe art. I keep finding the exact same picture of a fairy humping a bottle of Mari Mayans or someone smiling as they light their sugar or glowing blue-green shotglass on fire.

With what seems like an artistic group I would assume at least a few people have absinthe art or absinthe inspired art. So... anyone?

I think that for the most part there just isn't a lot of art of that sort happening now. Most of the art listed in places such as ebay tend to be either unrelated to absinthe and are simply being pushed as such in hopes of gaining a bit more profit, or just plain aren't all that good. When I think of "absinthe art," I tend to think of things like the old publicity artwork that was done. While photography and modern ad campaigns have sort of sidelined publicity art, it would be nice to see the same kind of inspiration applied to modern absinthe advertising, and I think that doing so could possibly produce some wall-worthy work. I saw a very recent campari ad done up like the old publicity artwork and wish that there were more of that sort of thing being produced.

Whyte, I agree, they just don't make ads like they used too.

I'm quite surprised with absinthe's artistic history that it hasn't again picked up artistic work arround it besides Manson and fire.

Gertz, those are very nice, what medium are they in?

Three stages of "La Pontissalienne", a work in progress. Not finished yet, it still needs a few finishing touches. The gate isn't right, but I'll see the original within a week.

billede0223zy.jpg

billede0237lt.jpg

billede0243ad.jpg

Impressive Gertz! I've always wished I could paint

My husband and I have a few small prints like the Robette. I have a resident in the apartment complex I work at who has a huge print of the Edouard with the orange background. It's about 6' by 5', he claims that it came from Paris and is worth $14,000.... :no2: whatever makes him happy.

It would be fun to have...He forgets that I have keys to his apartment :shifty:

Nice work, Gertz. My wife is thinking about doing some absinthe themed stuff.

I'm quite surprised with absinthe's artistic history that it hasn't again picked up artistic work arround it besides Manson and fire.

The only reason absinthe really has an association with art is because those are the people who became famous. If the any Belle Époque carpenters had reason to become famous, chances are pretty good that absinthe would be associated with carpentry.
a huge print of the Edouard with the orange background.  It's about 6' by 5', he claims that it came from Paris and is worth $14,000...

Which poster does he have? While $14,000 may be an exaggeration, if it's an original poster, it's quite valuable. Check out the prices antiques can fetch.

The only reason absinthe really has an association with art is because those are the people who became famous. If the any Belle Époque carpenters had reason to become famous, chances are pretty good that absinthe would be associated with carpentry.

Damn you!. You've ruined my plans to corner the market on dining room furniture made by absintheurs! :harhar:

I think it is this one

post-43-1127770277_thumb.jpg

It is some young college guy who owns it. It is big as Pensieve says and nicely framed but I would not know how to tell if it is original. Is this the one you were talking about Oxygenee?

That's it.

Wasn't there a guy in Australia who was showing off some of his absinthe paintings on FV, kevingogh?

Edit: Got it.

jade.jpg

It's kevangogh. He was posting out of Japan.

As far absinthe-inspired artists:

Andrew T is a helluva musician (and despite his culture, he burps and vomits like one of the guys). Might be wrong, but I think our Noztrilla retard retard retard brother (<--- grait filter), Deluge, is a bad-ass musician too. Nepenthes does some amazing Japanese calligraphy. eric is an amazing blues musician. Abby can make fart noises with her mouth.

If any of the artists out there want some incidental music composed for their works, a la Pictures at an Exhibition, let me know. I'm always up for a good project.

I wasn't so much amazed that he was a good violist.

what amazed me was how he was good after MANY drinks, and at 3am.

I know my drumming goes to total feces after 3-4 drinks.