pt447

Absinthe information flyer/pamphlet

I'm almost finished with the reverse page. I'll post it here shortly, then you all can hash out the copy, or perhaps Brian can offer up the text he would like to see on it. I didn't want to just copy and paste, so I did up some quick-ish history and preparation info. It's written in a way for a first time buyer in a store can ask some of the right questions and also know how to drink it properly.

Okay, here's the current front and back, with links to larger jpegs.

wormwood_poster_front_small.jpg

wormwood_poster_back_small.jpg

Edit: Whoops. I found a couple errors already. Fixed in the original source.

Edited by Ron

Excellent work!

When this is all final and approved I will certainly print some good quality copies and hand them out to the nearby suppliers.

A local ColdStone Ice Cream close by shut down and I am currently trying to find out what all would be needed to turn it into an Absinthe Bar. There is a Mexican food restaurant that is in the same area that serves alcohol, so that part I am pretty confident about getting. The fliers are AMAZING!

A few points:

1) Personally, I think it might be 'too many werdz'. We risk having people lose interest halfway through.

2) The last paragraph on the left column is incorrect, in a sense, since the first two absinthes to enter were Lucid and Kübler. While there were a couple of artificially colored or compounded products that came soon after, by using that passage, we risk alienating the tradional brands that helped pave the way.

3) Regarding the fire ritual, I'd recommend staying away from terms like 'nonsense', as it lends an air of editorializing. I'd recommend something like 'This ersatz tradition was created in Eastern Europe during the 1990s to fit in with the hard core party scene.

4) I'd also recommend taking out 'laughable' and just use the safety and taste as points.

Looks fantastic though!

I'll be sending these proofs to a printer friend of mine to get an estimate. IF this is what we decide to do, everyone can get them from her. Getting them all from one place will probably help get us a discount on quantity. She'll also mail them to each location.

Brian, good call. I knew that Lucid and Kübler blazed the trail and were really the primary reason that the TTB finally acted on the COLA thing, so that last paragraph should have mentioned that.

On the fire, I almost left it off completely as I didn't even want to mention it, in the same way I didn't mention t-bone. I may just remove most of that paragraph, or all of it, because I don't want it to sound at all like grandstanding.

I'm going to make the changes right now and replace the jpegs straight away.

I think I'll play around with it after that in order to pare the info down.

Thanks for the input.

A local ColdStone Ice Cream close by shut down and I am currently trying to find out what all would be needed to turn it into an Absinthe Bar.

A Coldstone cloed!? Balls. That sucks. Sign of the times I suppose. But good for us if you manage to score it and turn it into an Absinthe bar.

I'd say leave the fire thing off. Don't need to insult people off the bat--although I know that wasn't your intent. I think less info is better, overall. Nobody is going to sit around and read all that in the middle of a liquor store. It's a great flier, but it's like marketing; get 'em with flash and make 'em go back home and log on!

Having conducted consumer tastings, I can tell you that questions about fire rituals are one of the most common (and surprising, to me) that I have had to field. In fact, the night after the last consumer tasting I conducted, I attended one of the Morton's Steak House "Green Hour" events as a consumer. During the presentation one of the attendees graced us with a description of the "Traditional Czech Fire Ritual" and the uninformed local sales rep, hosting the event, had no response other than to accept it as legitimate. As much as I was squirming inside, I would never do anything to usurp the hosts' authority.

I think questions about these kind of "ersatz" preparations need to be addressed factually and dispassionately, otherwise the obvious omission to respond can serve to make the practice seem provocative and alluring.

A local ColdStone Ice Cream close by shut down and I am currently trying to find out what all would be needed to turn it into an Absinthe Bar.

Had to look it up, you are nearly 3 hours away. :(

BUT, I will certainly try to make it down there if you do open!

Having conducted consumer tastings, I can tell you that questions about fire rituals are one of the most common (and surprising, to me) that I have had to field. In fact, the night after the last consumer tasting I conducted, I attended one of the Morton's Steak House "Green Hour" events as a consumer. During the presentation one of the attendees graced us with a description of the "Traditional Czech Fire Ritual" and the uninformed local sales rep, hosting the event, had no response other than to accept it as legitimate. As much as I was squirming inside, I would never do anything to usurp the hosts' authority.

I think questions about these kind of "ersatz" preparations need to be addressed factually and dispassionately, otherwise the obvious omission to respond can serve to make the practice seem provocative and alluring.

Totally agreed. But that's why we want people to come to the site. The flier is not the place to address every issue and misconception. It's just got to entice people to come here. And I totally would have spoken up at the tasting!!!

I do not believe the host will be doing any more absinthe events. In his defense, he was unexpectedly stuck with this event when Pernod Ricard all but abandoned the event due to lean advance reservations. His real interest is wine, and I have the utmost respect for him in that area. Ultimately, I think he was as uncomfortable conducting the event, as I was listening to it. Still, unless asked, I would never interfere. It would not have been respectful of him, nor sensitive to the enjoyment of the other attendees.

As a producer I can sadly tell you that the "fire question" comes up often and repeatedly. The depth of market penetration that this perverse ersatz "ritual" has accomplished is very profound on the average American who begins thinking about absinthe.

Agreed. If nothing is said then it is we who are almost giving tacit approval to this type of foolishness.

Well, I've pared it down quite a bit. But now there's a tremendous amount of dead space. I can change some sizes and rearrange a little, but I basically have a section left over now which could be a useful space for a little Q&A? It sounds like the fire issue should be placed into this section. Thoughts?

I'm also okay with a complete rewrite if anyone can think of sexier copy. PM me thoughts and ideas, or suggestions for the Q&A. I can probably fit 4 or 5 questions in.

Keep in mind that the goal is to drive the traffic here to the WS website in order to correctly educate, but also answer questions that a first time buyer might have in the store.

Edited by Ron

Well, I've pared it down quite a bit. But now there's a tremendous amount of dead space. I can change some sizes and rearrange a little, but I basically have a section left over now which could be a useful space for a little Q&A? It sounds like the fire issue should be placed into this section. Thoughts?

Hmm. How about a 19th century style monochrome photo or illustration (that fits with the design theme, naturally) of the proper louching method? The whole "a picture is worth a thousand words" thing. After all- not to look down my nose or anything- the target audience is about to buy some LTV, maybe fill a replica fountain with it and light it on fire as it comes out the spout.

I've seen cool engraving looking illustrations of the big fountain in the Old Absinthe House. For other examples (though I'm not aware of their copyright status for direct use), I know the WS site, Oxy's Virtual Absinthe Museum, or WS members themselves might yield good examples.

now there's a tremendous amount of dead space.

How large is this going to be? 8.5x11? I'd think something around the size of a postcard would be ideal. That's the size of most flyers up here anyways.

Late edit: It also seems to me that one of the first things said about absinthe on the sheet should be what it tastes like. That's the most common question I get anyways.

This is intended to be an 8.5x11, but can really be printed at any size less than that (and in the same proportions). I like your suggestion for the "what's it taste like" question, but that may ignite debate since that's a combination of individual tastes and palates, brand recipes, etc. As most people have never tasted wormwood, that flavor will escape them.. but the anise with it's licorice-like flavor will definitely be one of the first tastes they recognize. I like the question though, and I think it's probably the first question someone would logically ask who has never tried it before and are in the store considering a bottle.

Hmm. How about a 19th century style monochrome photo or illustration (that fits with the design theme, naturally) of the proper louching method? The whole "a picture is worth a thousand words" thing. After- not to look down my nose or anything- the target audience is about to buy some LTV, maybe fill a replica fountain with it and light it on fire as it comes out the spout.

LOLs. I'll work up a version with an image to fill the dead space.

Changed the name of the thread to better reflect the topic.

Also, I'd like Gwydion to jump in to this discussion. Since this place is his baby, I want to make sure we're on the right page. One thing I'm thinking is that we should incorporate the WS seal as part of the flyer.

Agreed. This is his baby. And putting the WS seal on the document wont' be an issue. Perhaps he's got a b&w proof of it that I can use.

Image came from an old anti-absinthe propaganda poster. I think it's fitting to put it on a pro-absinthe propaganda poster. :devil:

wormwood_poster_back_small_lite.jpg

Looks great, but I still think the website name needs to be larger/more prominant! But I'm loving the artwork! I can't wait to print some out. Also, I agree with the seal having a place, but only if it isn't a squish!

These are really turning out amazing! I can't wait til they are completed, because (with your approval of course) I plan on using them to present this to the city of Gilroy to show that there is nothing wrong with Absinthe. I plan on making the bar Bella Epoque themed with a nice relaxing atmosphere. The fliers will also help with the bank loans ;)

I applaud your efforts! :cheers:

I would point out that not all traditional distillers used distilled grape spirits. We do know that PF and others did use it, but I'm sure many other traditional distillers used grain or beet spirits. Keep in mind that during the height of absinthe's popularity, wine (and thus wine spirits) were a precious commodity due to phyloxera. All the pre-ban distilling manuals only specify "alcohol at 85 degrees."

Truth be told, Zman. I guess I was only highlighting some of the differences to some of the modern recipes. But you are correct. if this is a flyer for a historical and informational society, we should have historically factual info on the handout. So I'm going to change it to say "high proof distilled spirits" instead.

Looks great, but I still think the website name needs to be larger/more prominant!

Well, the only verbiage that is larger or more prominent than WS is ABSINTHE. Given that this Society is founded around this product, I'm not sure that WS should overtake the actual absinthe as the primary focus!

because (with your approval of course) I plan on using them

Well, there's definitely nothing binding in my creating this handout. Gwydion isn't required to use it; it's just something I came up with in response to pt447's original post. It's great that people like it, and if Gwydion decides he wants to use it, then I'll just turn over all rights to him (as it represents his organization). I'm sure he'll let everyone know how to use it properly.

When it comes down to it, scraps of tree bark with "Don't buy LTV" scratched into it could be just as effective, but that's my own personal opinion and not representative of WS or GStone :D

Edited by Ron