Sign in to follow this  
cowbwoy

Cheese!

Purple Haze rocks...I don't care for goat cheese in general, but it was tasty. I got it for SWMBO 'cuz it just was just so "her." Fave color: Purple. Last name: "Hayes" and she loves goat cheese. Total win.

Got a hunk o' Chimay Grand Cru at the same time. Nummy.

Agreed with the Cambozola...it was my gateway drug to blues :)

Vile. I'll take a pass on anything boring holes through my innards, thanks. Diverticulitis is enough to deal with, without having a gut full of maggots. :puke:

I can completely empathize on that score, Precenphix.

If it's an intestinal "itis", I'm plagued by it, and the last thing I'd choose to do is to play host to some potential parasitic invaders.

If any of my aunts, and uncles are still alive, I didn't mean anything personal by that remark...maybe. :devil:

Humbolt Fog is one of my faves. I love cheese. And I also love the cheese guy at Hi Times. I think he and I could go live in a cheese house somewhere and be very happy.

Oh yeah, I got to try Humbolt Fog recently, it was awesome. I dig me some Brie and some Roquefort also. I just wish I could get away with eating more of it.

I haven't been PTFAing to this thread, but multiple folks talking about Humbolt Fog deserved a late chime.

Just made myself a lovely cheese platter which I plan to murder without abandon.

Dill havarti, Danish bleu, hickory smoked gouda, applewood smoked cheddar, Dubliner, French goat cheese, and some brie that is fabulously NOT runny.

...hickory smoked gouda, applewood smoked cheddar...

:dribble:

I would be dangerous around any assortment with these two on the plate...

Ya think? :blowup: :blowup: :blowup:

Butt, of course, I don't let a thing like that stop me from indulging...

I love cheese (particularly really aged, stinky cheese), and also, I 'm way too much of a misanthrope to quit. :devil:

Are there other cheese fans here? I'm sure a few.

My favorites tend to be on the sharp, funky, earthy side of things.

Tonight I had a nice slice of King Island Roaring Forties Blue. Quite tasty!

My first love, where to begin?

Bleu D'Auvergne- a classic French laid back blue

Epoisses- A delectable pungent (o.k. one of the stinkiest) washed rind, cow- enjoy with friends...

La Tur- I believe this was mentioned earlier (?) but well worth repeating- a taste sensation, creamy layered flavors with (Cow, goat and sheep milk) had a similar one from same area & perhaps same maker in Italy but with just goat/cow and it paled to this beauty.

Cambozola is our cheese of choice for most events.

Our love affair began many years ago .... we would go wine-tasting in the Yakima Valley or Oregon, and picnic lunch would consist of cambozola, sour-dough bread, summer sausage, pickled asparagus, and of course wine.

Need a cheese-eating emoticon!

I had it with some of those mini-toasts and a blood orange...sadly I ran out of toasts.

I'm resurrecting the thread cause I'm hoping to go on numerous cheese-adventures in the months to come, due to extra disposable income...there are lots of good ideas of things to try here.

Two words...

"Humbolt Fog"

Probably my all time favorite. It is a goat cheese with an edible ash layer in the center like Morbier, a soften rind which is almost like a runny brie, with a sharp and crisp goat cheese interior.

Mmmmmm.....

In the north Seattle area we have a great little cheesemonger shop in Edmonds:

http://www.residentcheesemonger.com/

I find it always good to have someplace you can go into and know there will be somebody to chat with and find out what new/interesting cheeses might have arrived.

I'm also fortunate in that the Thriftway near me has a wonderful cheese selection, perhaps even more then are at the cheesemongers, just nobody handy to chat with. I regularly stop in and just see what soft/stinky cheeses they might have handy.

My biggest problem, is that the names of the cheeses are so "uncommon", that it's hard for me to remember from one visit to the next which one I've had. I need to start keeping notes :->

(would have deleted a lot, but.... Stupid tablet...)

Humbolt fog is an excellent cheese. Frankly, I lucked out. I was a cheese madman before I moved to 'cheese country USA'. Q

One of my favorite local cheesemakers did their own version of the Fog, and it seems like I bought a round and ate it all myself. Luckily the mister doesn't like cheeses with blue flavors...more for me!

If you want a rather strange cheese, Trader Joe's has a cheddar with dark chocolate.

Two flavors I love by themselves, but the combination is very odd. You'll probably love it or hate it, or be like me and change your mind between loving it and hating it each time.

Bleh...I accidentally bought that once. Never again. :puke:

Like the "cheese cutter" at Murray's Cheese Shop on Bleeker Street says.."wutzamattuh, too steenky fodayou? :laugh: Throw in some Carr's original water wafers & let everyone else have the pate. :thumbup:

Edited by redwun

My favorite is still Rogue River Blue:

"Rogue River blue cheese is wrapped in grape leaves that have been macerated in pear brandy. Its forward, well-aged flavor tastes of brandy, fruit and burnt cream. A creamy, crunchy-smooth texture conjures specks of rock candy dissolving like divinity. The antique linen-hued paste features random tôile-styled patterns of green blue veins and the rind is gracefully imprinted by its grape leaf wrapping. The flavors of our signature terroir include hints of sweet pine, wild ripened berries, hazelnuts, morels and pears."

I used to special order it by the wheel.