Sign in to follow this  
cowbwoy

Cheese!

Are there other cheese fans here? I'm sure a few.

My favorites tend to be on the sharp, funky, earthy side of things.

Tonight I had a nice slice of King Island Roaring Forties Blue. Quite tasty!

Try some Mimolet Veille

One of my very favorites. This just cries out for a Chateauneuf du Pape and I try to answer its cries... :worshippy:

Try a nugget of a strong Gorgonzola popped inside a ripe, pitted apricot. Yummmmm....

I’m a lay-cheese person. I had a delicious cheese sampler tray in this neat little French place just off of Pike’s Place in Seattle. Best cheeses I’ve had- to include while in Chamonix. Sadly, I don’t know too terribly much about cheeses to be a real aficionado.

My neighbor works in specialty at the Whole Foods right down the road, so I get samples of all kinds of cheeses but unless I buy it I have a hard time remembering the names.

My son(9) is a big fan of aged hard Spanish cheeses like Manchego.

I love manchego. Both young and aged. Young is fantastic on sandwiches as a replacement for something like cheddar.

Tetilla is another great Spanish cheese, which has just recently become available in the states. Damn, there are so many...

Try a nugget of a strong Gorgonzola popped inside a ripe, pitted apricot. Yummmmm....

I literally just went, "ooooo!" That sounds delicious!

I love most cheese, but a really vile, stinky Stilton rocks! :yahoo:

One of our fave desserts when we invite foodie friends over for dinner is a big block of Stilton, sliced pears, toasted almonds, and some fine Port.

For some reason, I couldn't get into that combination. Then again, I'm not a fan of port. I didn't think they complimented one another at all.

I'm a big fan of aged gouda. Some of the brands are Rembrandt and Old Amsterdam. Nice crumbly texture and caramel taste. There is a goat gouda as well that is much lighter and just as tasty! You can find that at Trader Joes.

I love cheese too. Just getting into some of the semi-soft cheeses. Had a lot of cheese platters on recent cruise. Kathy doesn't like blue cheese so advantage me. I had to trade off some of the camembert to get it some times. Trouble is, I gotta track down a good local cheese shop.

I'm not one for the bleus, but I've had some tasty cheeses from Whole Foods. Most of them I don't remember, but there was some iberico which was nice, unlike my spelling of it, and there have been some good goudas too.

There was one that I really liked...but I don't remember what they were calling it, it was very sharp and kind of like a swiss-gouda love child.

Oh well, get me on cheese and as luck had it I found myself in the area of a great deli one county over today. Sage Derby, Royal Windsor, smoked gouda, manchego, and parmigiana-reggiano picked up there. Had to get out of there before I spent too much. Failed to find some camembert, and totally blew if by failing to grab a good blue cheese.

Two words...

"Humbolt Fog"

Probably my all time favorite. It is a goat cheese with an edible ash layer in the center like Morbier, a soften rind which is almost like a runny brie, with a sharp and crisp goat cheese interior.

Mmmmmm.....

In the north Seattle area we have a great little cheesemonger shop in Edmonds:

http://www.residentcheesemonger.com/

I find it always good to have someplace you can go into and know there will be somebody to chat with and find out what new/interesting cheeses might have arrived.

I'm also fortunate in that the Thriftway near me has a wonderful cheese selection, perhaps even more then are at the cheesemongers, just nobody handy to chat with. I regularly stop in and just see what soft/stinky cheeses they might have handy.

My biggest problem, is that the names of the cheeses are so "uncommon", that it's hard for me to remember from one visit to the next which one I've had. I need to start keeping notes :->

Picked up some Ile de France Blue Brie, Roquefort Societe, President Brie and some havarti today. Damn, still can't find a camembert. WTF?

There's a great book from DK titled, "French Cheeses". While I am game for most cheeses (epoisse can repel the faint of heart...) the description of one of the cheeses stopped me cold. I will not even try one that has wriggling worms, no matter how tasty it is promised to be. :no:

Point Reyes bleu...nom nom nom

Also, Shropshire Blue (nifty hybrid of cheddar and bleu) with a 20 year tawny port makes me all wibbly inside.

Sadly, while in Spain, I went nuts in a deli and got all kinds of cheeses. One of my faves was one simply called "artisan." Little did I know of the weak American stomach and how it's not conditioned (generally) for un-pasteurized cheese. It had be bed-ridden for a whole day :( Tasty nonetheless, but next time, I'll have to work up to it gradually.

I have a friend in Italy that makes worm cheese

The larvae have powerful mouthhooks which can lacerate stomach linings or intestinal walls as the maggots attempt to bore through internal organs.

Um...no.

Went to a cheese festival this past Saturday at the Pike Place Market in Seattle. Cypress Grove, the folks who make the Humbolt Fog, had a table full of awesome cheeses, and we walked away with three that we hadn't seen before.

Purple Haze - a chevre with lavender added

Truffle Tremor - a chevre with truffle oil

Midnight Moon - a firm and aged goat cheese

All are distinctive and wonderful!

So many wonderful cheeses out there .... Prima Donna aged gouda, the Shropshire mentioned above, but if I had to pick an every day favorite it's probably Cambazola (with some sourdough and red wine, of course). :thumbup: