58 replies to this topic

#1 JohhnyJohhny

JohhnyJohhny

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 11:06 AM

I just saw this at my local Party Source. It is made in Kentucky according to the bottle. They claim a blanche that is then colored with hibiscus flowers (it looked rather like very pale white zinfandel).
Anyone heard of it?? It was going for $33 for a 500ml bottle I think (sorry I was in a hurry).

#2 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,818 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 12:01 PM

He's a member here. I haven't yet been able to try it.
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#3 seeker of truth

seeker of truth

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 10:01 AM

Nope, sorry never heard of it. Say, my wife says that rose hips would make a nice rouge during coloring, any thoughts on that?
I talk like a drunk man walks, in every which way but where he is headed.

#4 pt447

pt447

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 10:14 AM

If you look around on, I believe, the Rue Verte site, you'll find a few absinthes from Germany that are red, one colored/flavored with hibiscus, the other with roses. I was seriously considering ordering the rose one. I've had Maitresse--hibiscus colored/flavored--and I find it essentially undrinkable. So I'm excited to try other coloration/flavoring methods such as roses.

Well, I just looked and it's not there anymore... here's the other two from that distillery.

The one with hibiscus

The "Verte"
Life is moist and stinky

#5 Antoine

Antoine

• PipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 02:34 AM

Well, I just looked and it's not there anymore... here's the other two from that distillery.

The one with hibiscus

The "Verte"

The two other absinthes from this distillery are temporary sold out but I should be able to offer them again. I'll let you know as soon as they are back in stock !
Absinthe : Go travelling through its universe and (re)discover its many treasures !

#6 pt447

pt447

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 03:28 AM

Do you plan on working with Paypal anytime soon? I'm not familiar with the specifics of how people use them on their sites, but I know I much rather use paypal for online purchases.
Life is moist and stinky

#7 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,187 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 03:36 AM

I much rather use paypal for online purchases

Me also!
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#8 Antoine

Antoine

• PipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 03:44 AM

Do you plan on working with Paypal anytime soon?

I wanted to work with paypal but they told me it wasn't possible beacause of "alkohol selling" to the US. It was 2 years ago and it might have changed. I'm going to call them to see what they can do. I'll let you know.
Absinthe : Go travelling through its universe and (re)discover its many treasures !

#9 pt447

pt447

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 08:12 AM

Sweet. I only ask because DUNY uses PP and it's awesome, but there's so many different brands on your site that could be very interesting to try--namely those german ones!
Life is moist and stinky

#10 seeker of truth

seeker of truth

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 08:46 AM

I'm not so worried about using paypal, I just use a secured credit card for online purchases.
I talk like a drunk man walks, in every which way but where he is headed.

#11 Antoine

Antoine

• PipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 07:38 AM

The two other absinthes from this distillery are temporary sold out but I should be able to offer them again. I'll let you know as soon as they are back in stock !

I've just received The Neuzeller Neue Liebe and the Neuzeller Calendula. :thumbup:

@pt447: I haven't forgotten for Paypal and I'm still working on it.

#12 pt447

pt447

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 08:07 AM

Sweet! Once I rebuild some funds I'll most likely be placing an order!!!
Life is moist and stinky

#13 Absinthe Ben

Absinthe Ben

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 11:18 AM

I was talking with Resiakk (newest member introduction) in the TARN forum last night and learned that he is fortunate enough to have it sold under an hour from his house. He's agreed to venture back and pick up a bottle soon, so I'll make sure he posts some info here too.

The mystery will soon be solved, ha ha.
At least it's not Le Tourment Vert...

15 minutes of reading could save you $50 or more on shit absinthe:

www.absinthe-review.net

#14 Wolfish

Wolfish

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 03:27 PM

I just saw this at my local Party Source. It is made in Kentucky according to the bottle. They claim a blanche that is then colored with hibiscus flowers (it looked rather like very pale white zinfandel).
Anyone heard of it?? It was going for $33 for a 500ml bottle I think (sorry I was in a hurry).

Yup, that's me. We're a south Kentucky distillery, Bowling Green to be exact.

Cheryl (Delaware Phoenix) let me know a long while ago that cochineal is a more correct colorant than hibiscus. We use organic herbs (though don't say so on the bottle due to TTB funniness) and I couldn't source organic cochineal - ground up cactus bug isn't high on the priority of organic agriculture I suppose.

The formula came about when, just for fun and to be a contrarian, I added hibiscus to a blanche we'd made fooling around and it added a tang and floral note I really liked and we stuck with it. An accidental recipe, and not a true rouge. Worth a try, however, though I may be biased.

-Andrew
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. - H. L. Mencken

Corsair Artisan Distillery

#15 Absinthe Ben

Absinthe Ben

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 08:21 PM

You're pretty modest for a producer, you know that? :) Hopefully Jason (aka Resiakk) will get that bottle soon.
At least it's not Le Tourment Vert...

15 minutes of reading could save you $50 or more on shit absinthe:

www.absinthe-review.net

#16 Green Baron

Green Baron

Advanced Decomposition

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 08:46 PM

I really liked the other rouge I've had that was colored with hibiscus. Just IMO that's better than beetle juice in principle because you're using something not only to color, but also to flavor the absinthe.

Hope for a chance to try it one of these days.
This post has been edited over and over again by Green Baron

Chasing the green fairy in my triplane!

"A decorous absinthe will persuade your whisper away with its hooch essence..."

#17 baubel

baubel

Hued-pottymouth

• 7,728 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 08:54 PM

I was one of the perverts that really liked La Maitresse, although only when I was in the mood for it.

A little technological fix to a spiritual problem.

#18 pt447

pt447

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 08:10 AM

I really wanted to like Maitresse, but I find it nearly undrinkable. But I'll try it again some time. I'm just wary of any other absinthes with hibiscus as flavoring/coloring agents. I'd love to try one with roses--like the one on rue verte--and hopefully some other elements will surface. I just wish we knew what was actually used, or was going to be used for the Rosenette... Oh well...
Life is moist and stinky

#19 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,818 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 08:34 AM

I don't know about coloration with roses. I see it totally overpowering the flavors of absinthe. If St. George took flack for a non-traditional flavor profile, I can only imagine how much crap one colored with roses will get.
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#20 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,715 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 08:37 AM

I see it totally overpowering the flavors of absinthe.

Ditto.

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#21 Phoenix

Phoenix

Advansed Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 09:04 AM

I don't know about coloration with roses. I see it totally overpowering the flavors of absinthe. If St. George took flack for a non-traditional flavor profile, I can only imagine how much crap one colored with roses will get.

L'Italienne never caught flack for going off the beaten path. ;)

How L'Italienne got such rave reviews for being so unique and non-traditional, while the St. George gets beaten up on for being so unique and non-traditional, is beyond me.

Then again, I think I'm in the minority in that I'll always take a glass of St. George over L'Italienne.
"He's a politician. It's like being a hooker. You can't be one unless you can pretend to like people while you're f***ing them."

#22 Boggy

Boggy

Delusions of Competence

• Canned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 09:10 AM

Actually L'Italienne is more traditional than some of the absinthes considered very traditional. However, L'Italienne tradition is rooted in the early absinthe beginnings not "modern" drama or phenomenon (i.e. 1855 onward).
Surviving the attacks of mentally-deficient creatures of the dark and carrying on (since 1999).

[Ironically, 1999 is the year the Dunning-Kruger effect was first advanced. - Admin]=

#23 Phoenix

Phoenix

Advansed Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 09:15 AM

That's the first time I've ever heard the L'Italienne referred to as traditional. Anyone want to second that?
"He's a politician. It's like being a hooker. You can't be one unless you can pretend to like people while you're f***ing them."

#24 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,715 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 01:42 PM

L'Italienne never caught flack for going off the beaten path. ;)

Except from Joe, who enjoys it, but isn't sure it's technically absinthe. ;)

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#25 Belarmin

Belarmin

• PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 11:27 AM

I have been drinking absinthe for years now but still have an amateur's taste buds.

I was really looking forward to L'Italienne having read the reviews but could not stand it no matter how hard I tried.

I vowed never to drink again, saving it for the pros. :twitchsmile:

#26 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,993 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 11:36 AM

That's the first time I've ever heard the L'Italienne referred to as traditional. Anyone want to second that?

Nope. As Absomphe pointed out, I'm not too sure it even qualifies as absinthe. Traditional? Don't make me :laugh:

#27 precenphix

precenphix

Dreamer / Noise-maker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 11:40 AM

I still need to try the updated L'Italienne in order to make a judgement call on that one. The pre-release was waaaaay harsh on the cirtrus note. All I ever hear from anyone now is this constant "perfume" reference, which is honestly something I didn't notice the first time I tried it.

That said, in the one time I had St. George, I was taken aback by it! Non-traditional, I'll agree, but quite good IMHO. I need to get a bottle of that soon.

As for rose petals, I sincerely doubt that would be very good. Maitresse was something different, but I wouldn't buy it again. The hibiscus leaves an awful, bitter aftertaste on the back of my tongue. At first, it's almost like ripe red fruit, but that fades into what tastes like metalic plaque on the palate for a long time after your glass is empty.
Those with knowledge easily sense the truth of things. Those with egos built up on rumor and fancy, tend to maintain a hard line. - Tatan (Evan Camomile)

#28 pt447

pt447

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 12:54 PM

Is it possible that there was another coloration either used, or planned that didn't impart too much flavor? Just color?
Life is moist and stinky

#29 Stefano Rossoni

Stefano Rossoni

• Pip
  • 98 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 02:28 AM

Coloration with rose hips is something I experimented with a recipe I was working on before L'Italienne one (it was 2006), and the result was not good at all: the rose hips completely wasted the absinthe making it super-harsh and soapy. So roses in coloration are not a good idea in my experience.

#30 pt447

pt447

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 03:22 AM

Damn, damn, damn. Another option bites the dust...
Life is moist and stinky

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association