Sign in to follow this  
precenphix

caloric content of absinthe

I ran a search and came up with nothing on this topic. I was going to say "came up dry", but I really wanted to assuage the invariable onslaught of bad puns that would have come from you crummy lot. :sarc:

This answer to this question would obviously change from absinthe to absinthe depending on a great number of things such as alcohol content and possibly even the amount of particulate in an absinthe from more or less filtering. But in terms of comparison to other spirits, how does absinthe fare in caloric content?

I know aromatic bitters can be pretty high on the list when it comes to caloies, so I thought I would throw this question to the science wolves in here and learn a little more.

I'm going to guess that 99.9% of the calorie content of an absinthe comes from the alcohol.

The calorie content of some sea monkeys seems, faiap, zero.

faiap="for all intents and porpoises"

1 fl oz of Bacardi 151 (75.5 degrees)= 124 calories.

I'm no biochemist, but my guess is that 1 ounce of absinthe is probably a little bit less.

One of my coworkers is addicted to Calorie King.

:cheers:

Still better than pounding a bunch of dark, sugary craft beer, by far. Three or four absinthes ≠ three or four pounders of Schlitz, helping me maintain my girlish figure.

Though I will say that I tend to snack more when I've had two glasses of absinthe versus 2 glasses of a dark beer... perhaps it's because the dark beer (loaded with malty calories as it is) fills me up more than the apertif absinthe?

Heh...let's up the ante while we’re at it, yeah? Bring a beer bong to the fray in September and we'll turn the whole affair into an evening that would make the most seasoned frat monkey envious. :laugh:

I'll dispense with the derailment of this thread after this, but I had a friend who invented champagne pong one evening. The life and death of this game was about the lifespan of a mayfly. The idea of anyone playing drinking games with absinthe or pretty much anything other cheap beer / liquor is a poor idea. Though beer pong with OE 800 might make for some interesting results. :tongue:

Seriously, no one would survive with me on the pong table.

Srsly, his reputation proceeds him.

I'll gently give the Gentleman his due as a champion of pong (and other games) and take solace in my own ample skilz. Everyone should do what they do well. ;)

Everyone should do what they do well.

That could be a new thread. Personally, I struggle walking upright. Everything else is blind luck.

*wink*

Seriously, no one would survive with me on the pong table.

The last vacation I took where they had a beer pong table, I went 105-3. :devil:

Have you forgotten my introductory thread? I wasn't just referring to ping pong! ;) It's ON for our first meeting in person!

Performing some more forum-based necromancy here...

Anyway, I watch my calories like a hawk, so I did some work the other day to figure out how many calories per drink of absinthe; I didn't see anything this granular in any of the other threads, so maybe it would be useful for someone else, also.

(ml of absinthe * ABV of the absinthe * 0.89 * 7) + (# of sugar cubes * 16) = calories in your absinthe drink

Multiplying the ml of your serving by the ABV gives you how many ml of alcohol are in that serving. 0.89 is roughly the density of absinthe (different varieties may have slightly varying densities). Multiplying by the density effectively converts ml into grams, which are then multiplied by 7 calories per gram of alcohol, to arrive at your result (assuming no sugar is used). Note that 1 oz. roughly equals 30 ml (actually 29.6).

If you add sugar, then you would also multiply the number of sugar cubes or tsp. of sugar by 16 and then add that to the first part.

For example, I had 30 ml of Vieux Carré last night with 1 teaspoon of sugar (which = 1 sugar cube). VC is 60% ABV.

30 ml * .60 * 0.89 * 7 = 112 calories. 1 tsp sugar = 16 calories, 112 + 16 = 128 calories.

Edited by belewfripp

I use a similar formula. I have 0.8 instead of 0.89 as 0.8 is the density of alcohol. ml*0.80 = the weight of alcohol.

I'm having now 20ml of La Grenouille. I seldom have sugar, so:

20 * 0.65 * 0.8 * 7 = 72.8

This is very light...

Wow, that really is. My understanding (just from reading) is that it is also very good - do you like it?

La Grenouille is one of my best. It has very complex spicy taste and aroma, with less anise than usual. Please consider that I'm Italian and that La Grenouille was designed as a mediterranean kind of absinthe...

I tasted 20 different absinthes till now, and there are only two that I always want in my bar: La Grenouille and Jade VS 1898. It's interesting they are so different and yet I love them both. Then, with a more rational approach, I like François Guy because it's affordable and so low in alcohol (but still tasty), and Eichelberger 60 because it's bio and uses fresh herbs instead of dried ones. I haven't tried yet Jade Terminus, and I have an unopened bottle of Artemisia Bugnon Butterfly for which I have great expectations.

I'm open to trying anything if it's good - Mediterranean, Franco-Swiss, American, whatever. I tend to be able to appreciate many different styles, as long as the specific instance I'm trying is good quality.

VS 1898 is definitely tasty, and it sounds like I need to add La Grenouille to my list, as well.