34 replies to this topic

#1 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,810 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 06:28 PM

I hate tooting my own horn, but I guess I'll post this here, since I'm sure someone will.

Had a great time doing an absinthe tasting with Gary Vaynerchuck for WineLibraryTV last week. The episode got posted today. Looks like, from the comments, people liked it.

A big apology to Zman. They initially told me to bring 4 absinthes, then when I got there, they nixed one. Unfortunately it was yours. I did make sure to post info about your brand as well as the link to buy it.
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#2 jcbphd

jcbphd

Hooch Essence

• Advisory Board
  • 3,975 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 06:42 PM

Toot away, big guy. In my individual opinion you did a tremendous amount of good for the world of absinthe with this episode. The WLTV forum reaches far and wide, and this was the perfect opportunity and you were the perfect individual to proselytize the good news of absinthe to the masses. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Temperance, like chastity, is its own punishment. ~Four Vines "The Peasant"

Ça descend la gorge comme le bébé Jésus en culottes de velours.

You may be deceived if you trust too much, but you will live in torment if you do not trust enough. ~Frank Crane

#3 scuto

scuto

Taste sensation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 06:58 PM

Great show--Gary's an effervescent, entertaining dude. Oh, and that other guy was okay, too. :fork:

Seriously, what jcbphd said! :cheers:

I'm glad they had the file for download, cos streaming that thing would have mucked up something on my end!
"The Saint when he is drinking/Is also pleasing God/As if he were praying and singing." - Angelus Silesius, quoted in Simmel's On Individuality and Social Forms, p.391. (Yay for classical sociology!)

"Full bottle in front of me/Time to roll up my sleeves and get to work/And after many glasses of work/I get paid in the brain" - They Might Be Giants "Your Own Worst Enemy."

"I've an absinthe factory in my head" (jcbphd, 2009). [Liberties taken. -ed.]

#4 fingerpickinblue

fingerpickinblue

Hallucinations Sold Separately

• Content Team
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 07:47 PM

Great show--Gary's an effervescent, entertaining dude. Oh, and that other guy was okay, too. :fork:

"effervescent" may be an undersctatement! Great job making your points, Brian. :cheers:
blind man see her, dumb man call her name - Ed Bell

#5 techdiver

techdiver

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 08:02 PM

Great job! :thumbup:

#6 Phoenix

Phoenix

Advansed Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 09:59 PM

Great job, Brian!

Nerdy absinthe talk here? I'm not buying it. I find it all fascinating.
"He's a politician. It's like being a hooker. You can't be one unless you can pretend to like people while you're f***ing them."

#7 rambus

rambus

• Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 11:24 PM

Very nice video- All those wine heads will get a proper introduction to Absinthe :)
"Got tight last night on absinthe and did knife tricks" -Ernest Hemingway

#8 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,181 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 04:37 AM

I can only agree with the posts above. Nice job Brian. Very nice.

Cheers!
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#9 AiO

AiO

Movie Freak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 04:52 AM

Gary's an effervescent, entertaining dude.

Yeah, jeez--in an almost Joe Pesci kinda way: "Whaddya mean, funny? Funny how? Like I'm a clown? I amuse you?"

Props to Brian for getting a word in edgewise! Good show--the truth marches on.
"Life is a tragedy when seen in close-up, but a comedy in long-shot" -- Charlie Chaplin

#10 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,810 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 05:00 AM

I'd actually count myself lucky. For whatever reason, I think he gave me more opportunity than most to talk.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#11 Antoine

Antoine

• PipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 05:09 AM

It was a very good idea to make it with this guy who always talks about wine, which has a good image. It will show ppl that absinthe as well is a brand to be savour for his taste.

Really nice job !Posted Image
Absinthe : Go travelling through its universe and (re)discover its many treasures !

#12 Absinthe Ben

Absinthe Ben

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 05:37 AM

Great show! :cheers: You're a natural, Brian, you two could be a play-by-play commentator duo! By the end you guys were like best buddies, ha ha. Gary is like me after a couple cups of coffee-eerily similar.

Just two questions:

What did your wristband say?

Why did the captions say "unavailable?"
At least it's not Le Tourment Vert...

15 minutes of reading could save you $50 or more on shit absinthe:

www.absinthe-review.net

#13 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,810 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 05:49 AM

I was wondering when that would crop up!

Writbands are Gary's thing for the show. 'Bringing the Thunder'

As for the 'unavailable' comment, it's because their store doesn't carry those specific brands. That's one reason why I made sure to mention DUNY, even though they really didn't want me to. ;)

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#14 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,181 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 06:51 AM

I caught the DUNY thing but I felt you were kind of trapped when he asked availability. You had an answer and it was kind of quiet compared the overall tone. You looked like you didn't want to say it.

It was good.
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#15 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,665 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 07:04 AM

That video should be required viewing for all the frat boy flamer idiots.

Terrific job, Brian, and I definitely don't feel like that was a half hour of my life I'll never get back. :cheers:

Edjumacational, but pure fun!

Riiiiiiiicola! :yahoo:

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#16 Retrogarde

Retrogarde

"historical joie de vivre" -Marlow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 07:18 AM

Awesome job. I see it didn't take the crapsinth folks long to start dissing you, but they are outnumbered by positive comments. :cheers:
The basic tools of the absintheur are essentially a spoon, glass, sugar cube, chilled water, and absinthe. None of the other objects are actually necessary to prepare the drink, but they are imperative for instigating a type of visual hypnosis and bringing richness to the ceremony.
--Betina J. Wittels

#17 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,810 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 08:13 AM

If there were Crapsinthe comments, I didn't see any. The only thing I saw was a guy who dissed me for not bashing Czechsinthe more than I did.

I tried to be as PC as possible.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#18 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,273 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 09:58 AM

Excellent job, Brian! You do us proud! :cheers: I just now got a chance to watch it, because I found it literally the same time I was logging in to the Mixoloseum chat last night. I'll be posting it on the home page today.

Thanks for representing!

Oh yeah:
Canada.

Maker of Marteau Absinthe
Master Distiller, Gnostalgic Spirits Distillery
www.absinthemarteau.com
Confessions of an Absinthiste

#19 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,810 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 10:23 AM

Oh yeah:
Canada.

Well done!

That totally put me on the spot. At first, I had no idea what he was talking about, since I rarely watch a show in its entirety.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#20 pt447

pt447

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 12:53 PM

I have to run out right now, but I can't wait to watch this when I get back!!!

*EDIT* Watching this now... Wow! This should really be spread around to get people to really get to know absinthe. Great video!!! I love what I took as a huge dig on crapsinthe. Great push on the distilled vs. macerated wormwood distinction. I loved that!
Life is moist and stinky

#21 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,988 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 06:24 PM

I enjoyed every moment, Brian. Even more, I'm looking forward to sharing a drink in September.

#22 Julie Legate

Julie Legate

0 jobs. 2 cents

• Advisory Board
  • 3,241 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 06:28 PM

Nice indeed. It was fun to watch the absinthe glow develop. *cheers*
I am the wood nymph.

#23 Boggy

Boggy

Delusions of Competence

• Canned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 01:48 AM

Interesting, very convivial; that Gary looks like a friendly, very crazy guy. Apart from bucket-thing which I in particular didn't like and the fact the choice of absinthe was limited to three only, it was a nice piece of watching (if slightly too long) and the wine afficionados should grasp some of the absinthe lure and in a positive sense.

Wormwood bitters

Something like: Unicum, Pelinkovac, Amarena di Spana, Stonsdorfer or a brand new fresh recipe and development? Who's behind and will it serve as a digestif (as proposed in the show) or will fit the line of Angostura, etc bitters chiefly used in cocktails?
Surviving the attacks of mentally-deficient creatures of the dark and carrying on (since 1999).

[Ironically, 1999 is the year the Dunning-Kruger effect was first advanced. - Admin]=

#24 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,810 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 02:38 AM

Definitely long (his normal episode is 15-20 min), but more brands would have made it even longer. I could have sat there for days talking green though.

The bucket is his normal wine tasting aparatus. Surprisingly he used it very little compared to his wine tastings.

The bitters is a new brand. My guess is that it will be used more like an Angostura. The whole idea with that was to just give him an idea of the difference between distilled and macerated without putting my neck on the line by giving him any certain brand that might try to argue that I was damaging them in particular, which I didn't want to do.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#25 Wild Bill Turkey

Wild Bill Turkey

Exigez le mot Turkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 12:33 PM

Very, very well done. You seem very comfortable in front of the camera. You don't get flustered or tongue-tied when interrupted by the host, which gets most people off balance. You stay focused on what you want to say, as when Joe Pesci (a very likable host) kept taking you off point when you were talking about the Ted Breaux reproductions, but you aren't inflexible when the host wants to kid around.

What was that row of silver-label Helfrich bottles? Never seen those before, and you had like five of them!

Is there a street in New Orleans called Vieux Carré? I thought it was just the name for the French Quarter.

EDIT: Ahh! It's a pinot gris from Alsace. The mystery deepens...
Posted Image
"I'm always amused when a member incorporates a quote from another member into their signature." - fpb

#26 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,810 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 01:09 PM

Yeah, those bottle threw me for a loop when I first saw them!

And of course you're right about Vieux Carre. That was a fumble.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#27 Scott R. Cohen

Scott R. Cohen

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 02:30 PM

Brian, that was a fantastic show! You were the epitome of wit and class and really represented absinthe well.

With the host's style, I was ready for you to be put off-balance at any moment, but you bore the brunt - I was impressed!

(EDIT: WBT said what I wanted to say but better)
"Bigamy is having one wife too many. Monogamy is the same." - Oscar Wilde

#28 jcbphd

jcbphd

Hooch Essence

• Advisory Board
  • 3,975 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 04:43 PM

What was that row of silver-label Helfrich bottles? Never seen those before, and you had like five of them!

Posted Image

Not to stray too far off topic (and Brian's continued kudos for scoring some major points for our favorite beverage), but the Helfrich Pinot Gris and Reisling are wonderful wines. They former is around $19 and the latter around $14, and well worth it. Perfect with spicier Asian fare. :cheers:
Temperance, like chastity, is its own punishment. ~Four Vines "The Peasant"

Ça descend la gorge comme le bébé Jésus en culottes de velours.

You may be deceived if you trust too much, but you will live in torment if you do not trust enough. ~Frank Crane

#29 mesteele

mesteele

• Pip
  • 84 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 07:45 AM

Well done sir. A good watch for sure. :clap:
Buy the ticket, take the ride.

#30 Gypsy

Gypsy

• PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 10:10 AM

Brian,

I must say, being new to the world of Absinthe, that show was very very well done and incredibly informative. I learned quite a bit!

You did well skirting around and interacting with his manner of reporting. Unfortunately a little bit of the information you were leading into never came to light due to a change in subject, still an amazing amount of info in such a short time.

Many kudos!

"So I rise to the hill tops, I ride the night winds, I make love to the darkness and laugh at man’s sins" Cowboy Junkies

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association