• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 pt447

pt447

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 04:22 PM

Ok, So I've put up a fair amount of reveiws and one thing strikes me as one of the most elusive aspects of judging absinthe--aside from discerning herbs and such. What exactly is a perfect example of "peridot green"? I ask only because on reading my reviews and comparing them with those of other people on the same absinthe I often find terminology differs when trying to describe color. What I may call a perfect peridot someone else might say is more olive oil without a trace of peridot. So what would a perfect example be of peridot green?
Life is moist and stinky

#2 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,993 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 04:37 PM

You can only find a perfect Peridot in Alabama.
Sorry but that's just the way WS rolls.

#3 Wild Bill Turkey

Wild Bill Turkey

Exigez le mot Turkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 04:37 PM

There's a fair range, actually. Any of these would work for me, though the center stone is getting closer to emerald than what usually comes to mind when I think of peridot.
Posted Image
"I'm always amused when a member incorporates a quote from another member into their signature." - fpb

#4 pt447

pt447

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 04:56 PM

So essentially its a matter of perception? I mean, unless something is olive oil dark, or pale jade green, it's peridot. I just reviewed Jade NO, and I think it's super pale; so much so I would, and did not call it peridot. But another reviewer said it was a good example of peridot. Either way, thanks for showing that there's at least a bit of variety.
Life is moist and stinky

#5 Phoenix

Phoenix

Advansed Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 05:01 PM

Don't forget that absinthes can change color from batch to batch, and also with age.

In the case of the Jade line. There's been a drop in color with the newer batches. They're much paler now then what they used to be.
"He's a politician. It's like being a hooker. You can't be one unless you can pretend to like people while you're f***ing them."

#6 buddhasynth

buddhasynth

Unseemly and Obtuse

• 2,647 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 05:49 PM

My Wyfe's engagement ring was made by a friend and bears a white topaz and peridot. Out of several stones I picked the one that didn't look like olive oyl becuz it looked like freshly colored Absinthe.

Like WBT's lower left specimen but lighter.
What part of Klaatu Barada Nikto don't you understand?

...because shoddy absinthes will be flavored with the lubricator of take the lead anise.

#7 baubel

baubel

Hued-pottymouth

• 7,730 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 06:52 PM

We could just ask the man himself, but he seems a bit quiet lately...

A little technological fix to a spiritual problem.

#8 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,274 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 06:54 PM

There's a fair range, actually. Any of these would work for me, though the center stone is getting closer to emerald than what usually comes to mind when I think of peridot.

Agreed. I'd say the top center and right stones are verging away from peridot, while the bottom center and left stones are exemplary peridot.

Peridot is generally lighter, definitely green, but on the slightly yellower side of green; whereas emerald is much the same, but on the bluer side.

Olive is too yellow to be peridot, and in many cases might even be said not to be green, but dark muddy yellow.

Maker of Marteau Absinthe and Foxtrot London Dry Gin
Distiller, Stone & Szilard Distilling Co.
www.absinthemarteau.com

#9 Green Baron

Green Baron

Advanced Decomposition

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 07:09 PM

That sounds about perfect.

Because the colors pt447 inquired about are named after real life items that have a range of color, it's true that the terms are not specific to, say, one particular set of RGB values (with the possible exception of chartreuse?).

Not definitive, but some interesting color ranges people call peridot:

http://www.colourlov.../Peridots_green

http://www.colourlov...idot_Birthstone

http://www.colourlov.../7B8A10/Peridot

Chartreuse:
http://blogstersguil...-color-for.html
This post has been edited over and over again by Green Baron

Chasing the green fairy in my triplane!

"A decorous absinthe will persuade your whisper away with its hooch essence..."

#10 pt447

pt447

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 07:17 PM

Thanks for all the clarifications. Much easier now to be sure of what I'm trying to describe!
Life is moist and stinky

#11 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,993 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 07:21 PM

Looking at WBT's gems, I don't think many vertes reach "peridot." Depending on whether you're look at a full, clear bottle or only an ounce and a half in the glass makes it a matter of perspective, I guess.

#12 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,274 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 09:46 PM

Attached File  green3.jpg   10.09KB   3 downloads

www.absinthemarteau.com

#13 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,993 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 09:50 PM

There are notable exceptions, of course.

#14 GoatKart

GoatKart

• Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 11:07 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

All natural Peridot gemstones, and in my opinion, there are plenty of Absinthes which have this color pre-louche of course.
Awww... I wanted to explode. -Gir-Invader Zim
Zombo

#15 buddhasynth

buddhasynth

Unseemly and Obtuse

• 2,647 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 12:15 AM

I merely think of the Ring.
What part of Klaatu Barada Nikto don't you understand?

...because shoddy absinthes will be flavored with the lubricator of take the lead anise.

#16 pt447

pt447

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 03:25 AM

A question of history next. Do we know what the "ideal" coloration is due to accurate descriptions, or because it was passed down with the absinthe that was being produced in Spain? Is it all due to consumer (artists and such) descriptions, or manufacturers notes?
Life is moist and stinky

#17 Boggy

Boggy

Delusions of Competence

• Canned
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 03:42 AM

Peridot is known as olivine* what should suggest something. We might describe it as starting from yellow-green (in a sense bright olive) thru olive green and deep olive to brownish green. However, how we perceive the particular colour, is dependant on our perception skills. I, as an astigmatist, am able to see peridot in the warm spectrum, howver catching all the nuances and derivative colours. Chevreul's theory is that when we look at a colour we automatically see its simultaneous contrast colour, all the derivative colours and much. These might have an influence on our perception since we don't see ONE colour but a combination of at least several ones.

The best description of absinthe colour I have ever come across is that it is beautiful/nice green with golden reflections, aka tourmaline. It should be noted that tourmaline as such can be not only green, but black, pink, what not, if obviously as regards absinthe we are staying in the green-yellow-gold spectrum, any blueish tinges are not welcome since they lead us to cold spectrum.

The pics Green Baron has provided should be very handy if one is able to read the colour.

*edited for misspelling.
Surviving the attacks of mentally-deficient creatures of the dark and carrying on (since 1999).

[Ironically, 1999 is the year the Dunning-Kruger effect was first advanced. - Admin]=

#18 pt447

pt447

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 08:08 AM

Very interesting. Thanks! I figured this might be a worthwile thread, and there's already a lot of good info provided.
Life is moist and stinky

#19 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,274 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 02:34 PM

Peridot is known as ovaline what should suggest something.

Unless you're hinting that peridot tastes like malted chocolate,* it would suggest that you don't know how to spell olivine any better than the few jewelry websites you casually Googled.

Peridot is known as peridot. Olivine is the mineral; gem-quality olivine is known as peridot.

*aware the correct sp. is "Ovaltine"

www.absinthemarteau.com

#20 Bob Tessier

Bob Tessier

WS token Canuck

• 2,031 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 02:40 PM

As much as I love green in all possible variations, peridot is my favorite. Thanks to all who posted images or links. Maybe I need to get out more, but I consider pictures of peridot gems to be eye candy, I really do. The real thing seems to be hard to come by in Winnipeg, I have looked.
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"

#21 GoatKart

GoatKart

• Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 03:05 PM

As much as I love green in all possible variations, peridot is my favorite. Thanks to all who posted images or links. Maybe I need to get out more, but I consider pictures of peridot gems to be eye candy, I really do. The real thing seems to be hard to come by in Winnipeg, I have looked.

I don't know about hard to get, so much as it requires a pseudo-specialty shop to carry it. Since its a semi-precious stone, it seems to be below the grade that a common jewelry store generally will carry, but above that which a trinket store would.

The only stores i see that commonly carry real Peridot jewelry tend to be new age shops, or various other gifting stores that follow the same line of upper level gifting.

That may just be my experience with it as well though.
Awww... I wanted to explode. -Gir-Invader Zim
Zombo

#22 pt447

pt447

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 03:07 PM

pretty shiny peridot things
Life is moist and stinky

#23 Boggy

Boggy

Delusions of Competence

• Canned
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 02:58 AM

http://gwydir.demon....als/olivene.htm

http://www.all-that-...se/peridot.html

http://www.all-that-...tourmaline.html
Surviving the attacks of mentally-deficient creatures of the dark and carrying on (since 1999).

[Ironically, 1999 is the year the Dunning-Kruger effect was first advanced. - Admin]=

#24 Timothy B.

Timothy B.

• PipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 10:20 PM

Peridot is known as peridot. Olivine is the mineral; gem-quality olivine is known as peridot.

Perhaps peridot then becomes known as ovaline if it's cut as a cabochon...

-- T

#25 seeker of truth

seeker of truth

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 04:18 AM

So essentially its a matter of perception?

All things in life are just that, a matter of perception. Peridot is a vibrant green with a touch of gold. Peridot is one of the few gemstones that comes in only one color, though the color can vary between shades of yellowish green and olive, and even to a brownish green. The rich, green color with the slight tinge of gold is caused by very fine traces of iron. The intensity of the colour depends on the amount of iron actually present in the gemstone.
I talk like a drunk man walks, in every which way but where he is headed.

#26 Heurvert

Heurvert

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 08:42 PM

So essentially its a matter of perception?

The rich, green color with the slight tinge of gold is caused by very fine traces of iron. The intensity of the colour depends on the amount of iron actually present in the gemstone.

See, that I find fascinating. What is really going on in color, on a molecular level? How do we measure this to accurately represent our subjective perception? I have thought about photographing Absinthe under standardized lighting conditions and then averaging the pixels to derive the exact HSL values in a glass of Absinthe. This, of course, would result in a piece of accurate, but ultimately frivolous information.
"Don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk."

-Tom Waits

#27 pt447

pt447

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 03:27 AM

Everything is about perception! What about people who are colorblind? What about just simple variations in each person's eyes? Do even two people see the exact same thing?
Life is moist and stinky

#28 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,187 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 03:54 AM

I work with a man that's colorblind. He says he can see shades of red. I asked him if he was sure and he then became puzzled.

So, peridot is in the eye of the beholder. *smile*
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#29 peridot

peridot

Floccinaucinihilipilificator Extraordinaire

• Content Team
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 08:35 PM

I got my girlfriend a pretty silver ring with a peridot gemstone.

If only I could get a d20 dice set in peridot that would be killer. I'm prolly gonna go with aventurine, though.

Throng of Shoggoths: Lovecraftian Sludge

Pudwich: 90's style hard rock

My stupid facebutt page.

#30 scuto

scuto

Taste sensation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 09:27 PM

If you find the dice set, photos please! :)
"The Saint when he is drinking/Is also pleasing God/As if he were praying and singing." - Angelus Silesius, quoted in Simmel's On Individuality and Social Forms, p.391. (Yay for classical sociology!)

"Full bottle in front of me/Time to roll up my sleeves and get to work/And after many glasses of work/I get paid in the brain" - They Might Be Giants "Your Own Worst Enemy."

"I've an absinthe factory in my head" (jcbphd, 2009). [Liberties taken. -ed.]

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association