emerald1

Suisse Verte Clandestine

Well now I'm confused. To my knowledge, the US doesn't regulate the method of absinthe production, but rather only the end thujone content, and labeling. And that is where the problem lies, here in the US. You can make pretty much anything, label it "absinthe", and as long as the label is considered appropriate, and the thujone tests below 10 ppm, you're good to go out and slay the consuming public. Most other distilled beverages, made in the US, have a general or specific legally defined method of production.

Please enlighten me, if I'm wrong.

That aint just the issue in the US. It's also the reason why there's so much crap on the European market too. We should be thankful at the proportion of good to bad here in the states. I'd say it's a lot more in our favor than our EU counterparts.

Hopefully, current efforts to help give absinthe a legal definition will prove successful sometime in the near future.

I am not fond of the idea of the US limiting the way that Absinthe can be manufactured, considering that their reasons for the limitations are tainted regarding their views of Thujon

Ok, nobody likes it but there is plenty of very good absinthe available right here in the good ole USA that can be had with zero shipping charge.

The thujone thing gets a wee bit tiring.

Buy stuff from DrinkUpNy.com and forget about the thujone or buy from absintheonline.com and get better rates on shipping. Most of us could have bought a new car for what we've spent on shipping.

Let me know if you think I'm out of line.

Peace!

We should be thankful at the proportion of good to bad here in the states. I'd say it's a lot more in our favor than our EU counterparts.

Hopefully, current efforts to help give absinthe a legal definition will prove successful sometime in the near future.

Agreed, and agreed!

I could always go US, but again, I am not fond of the idea of the US limiting the way that Absinthe can be manufactured, considering that their reasons for the limitations are tainted regarding their views of Thujon.

Sorry, that is a load of B.S. promoted by the Eurotard thujone hustlers.

Buying from Alandia, W.C. Fields was right. :laf:

All the "green" absinthes from the Artemisia distillery won't be legal in the US because of the too hight wormwood contain.

That's why the Suisse Verte, the Angélique or the Opaline can't be sold in the US.

Not true.

I could always go US, but again, I am not fond of the idea of the US limiting the way that Absinthe can be manufactured, considering that their reasons for the limitations are tainted regarding their views of Thujon.

Sorry, that is a load of B.S. promoted by the Eurotard thujone hustlers.

Buying from Alandia, W.C. Fields was right. :laf:

Alandia provided great service and an interesting selection. I never asked them for any reccomendations or info--I got all that here--so I never had any problem. It's up to the consumer to get all the info they can!

I spoke with Mike at Alandia the other day and asked him if he had Jade PF1901 as I did not see it on their website.

Seeing it got really nice reviews here I figured I would get a bottleof Jade PF1901 and another bottle of the Suisse Verte. He said that he thought he had some bottles and that he would check and get back to me.

He also said that it was a good Absinthe. Mike has been a pretty helpful guy to me and is very much appreciated.

Again I am glad I came across this site and became a member as everyone has been very helpful.

I have never spent so much on alcohol though. I wonder where the Green Fairy is putting all of these funds :)

It's a fairly expensive endeavor. Any serious collection can be, but with a collection that you expect to consume every dollar you put into it, it's sort of a black... er... green hole. But it's well worth it, IMO!

it's sort of a black... er... green hole. But it's well worth it, IMO!

Kind of like the definition of a boat.

A boat is a hole in the water you pour money into.

Cheers!

I wouldn't explain it better. But I will always think that these limites (thujone, fenchone and pinocamphone) are stupid because the distillers can't work the way they want.

Again, the best absinthe I know is from the Val-de-Travers but it contents to much thujone to be legal. With a lower content of wormwood, it's not the same great taste and with a wormwood from a different place (with low-thujone) it would probably be the same problem.

The limits are annoying, but not enough to keep me from doing what I want. The difference between 10ppm and 35ppm or even 100ppm is completely meaningless in terms of quality and flavor, as any actual distiller can tell you.

The wormwood flavor and fragrance are some of the very first things that come over in the distillation. The huge majority of thujone comes over in the very last part of the distillate. So by following the traditional protocol of ceasing collection at a given point, the thujone is left in the pot with all the other nasty tasting stuff. In other words: the wormwood flavor doesn't come from thujone.

When developing Marteau, there was a particular strain of absinthium that I really liked the flavor and aroma of. It's so robust that when I used the full amount my original formula called for, it was far too overpowering. It eclipsed all the other botanicals and the absinthe was entirely out of balance. So, if I wanted that specific wormwood flavor, I was obliged to use much less of it. My solution was to use a blend of wormwoods, both absinthiums. The result is balanced and has the flavor I was after.

Thujone? By USA/EU standards, I could use more than five times the amount of wormwood I use now, and still not go over the limit. I'm not too worried.

Thujone is marketing bullshit.

The limits are annoying, but not enough to keep me from doing what I want. The difference between 10ppm and 35ppm or even 100ppm is completely meaningless in terms of quality and flavor, as any actual distiller can tell you.

It's interesting. But I'm still wondering: everyone agree to say this absinthe (the one I was talking about) is the best they've ever tried. You said you can manage not to over go the limit even if you use more wormwood. But doen't it depend on which wormwood do you use? Otherwise the distiller would make this absinthe legal as everyone like it, no? icon9.gif

I mean I really don't care about how much thujone contents an absinthe. But if the taste is great and this absinthe can't be sell beacause of the thujone, it's a shame...

Antoine, go back and read GStone's second paragraph again. I think he makes it pretty clear that you can use any A.a., and manage the distillation protocol to leave the thujone in the pot. And thanks G., that was a question that was coming to my mind while following this thread (when high- vs. low-thujone wormwood was brought up), and now I understand.

Antoine, it seems that your question of why some particular distiller would choose not to do this can really only be answered by that distiller.

Antoine, go back and read GStone's second paragraph again.

I understood what he said and that's why I am wondering. I know this distiller and he knows what he is doing. But you're right, I should ask him. I let you know when I get an answer.

There is certainly the potential that this producer doesn't have the capacity to open up to the US market, and doesn't want to take a leap then just end up looking bad.

It has nothing to do with that, for sure !

The US (and many other countries) started making a big deal about it around 100 years ago because of bad science. In a perfect world, the government would re-evaluate their decision using modern science. Unfortunately, I don't think it's too high on their priority list.

Old 'knowledge' takes a long time to dissipate. How long did people argue and kill people in defense of the 'fact' that the earth was the center of the universe?

Plus, you've got lots of nefarious brands with very deep pockets that continue to try to market thujone as a recreational drug.

Not to mention that thujone was thought to be a dangerous, madness inducing byproduct of distilling wormwood. Now, these sleazy companies use the idea that it's a hallucinogen, to sell inferior products that taste like dishwater.

What surprises me is the number of people who have been suckered by it. The last person I "de-mythed" was a psychiatrist. That's just crazy! :twitchsmile:

I'd imagine many of the members of this forum were suckered in by the myth as well. I know that's the first thing I was ever told about absinthe. The first time I was offered a glass I wasn't sure what would happen, but my friend assured me that it'd only get me drunk.

Once I found out it was anise flavored it was all over. Jager (the only thing I drank at the time) got kicked to the curb and it's been absinthe for me ever since.