emerald1

Suisse Verte Clandestine

Hi.I just ordered and received my first bottle of Absinthe, Suisse Verte Clandestine.I am new to the Absinthe experience and did a lot of research on Absinthe before ordering. Alot of education was obtained from Mike at Alandia. I usually go to a third party to get knowledge on something I am interested in so the info is not skewed sp?or tainted. But I found resources limited until I found this site after the fact.

Since this is my first bottle of Absinthe ever, I wanted to know if this was a good choice? I have read what makes a good Absinthe but since I lack the experience I wanted to hear from others who have the knowledge and experience regarding the different Absinthes available.

I paid $80US for the bottle of Absinthe and the shipping was a killa @$50US! I did order a couple of glasses, a carafe, and silver spoons in addition to some sugar cubes. Mike gave me a free silver item that fits over the glass and has 3 tiny holes in it. I forget the name but it starts with a "B."

I did have 4 glasses of the Absinthe in the traditional way. I poured the Absinthe into the glass until the reservoir was filled (ok....I did go alittle over :)) I then poured ice cold water over 2 cubes of sugar in a spoon until it was 3 parts water to 1 part Absinthe. I noticed the louche but did not see alot of "action." The drink was very smooth and went down nicely. I would have preferred the drink to be colder though. I had 4 drinks the same way. Maybe alittle too much as after 3 hours I was out :) only to be getting up in the morning.

Next time I will drink alittle slower and alittle less so I can get a clearer view of the Green Fairy:)I hope I posted in the right forum as this post includes a couple of different topics. Thanks in advance for any guidance you can offer me.

Edited by emerald1

Do you know what Edition you bought (# 1 or # 2)... I prefer #2 it is Angelique with no A.A. used for coloration. The #1 is Angelique in a different bottle, you could look up the reviews. The use of A.A. in coloration is Faux pas with many people. Either way you did fine for your first bottle.

Do you know what Edition you bought (# 1 or # 2)... I prefer #2 it is Angelique with no A.A. used for coloration. The #1 is Angelique in a different bottle, you could look up the reviews. The use a A.A. in coloration is Faux pas with many people. Either way you did fine for your first bottle.

This is a post submitted in error. Feel free to delete it. It was done via my PPC. Thanks.

I read the rules about quotes and this was unintentional.

The answer to the question is in a later post.

Edited by emerald1

emerald1, that's really difficult to read. Please use paragraph breaks, and have a read through the READ THIS FIRST section linked in my signature. It'll give you tips on posting here.

The guidance I would offer would be to stop binge drinking. If you really drank a full bottle of absinthe in one session (25 drinks in 3 hours?), I'm surprised you're not dead.

You could have bought that bottle of Clandestine right there in New York, by the way. Sorry, I missed the "verte" first time around.

Sorry about the lack of paragraphs. That is because I posted from my Touch Diamonmd PPC and not my laptop. (I just went back and edited the post from my laptop)

For some reason, while texting, there are paragraph breaks, but they don't show up after sending the post. Anyway, I am typing on the laptop so things should be fine.

To Bkultra: There is no "edition" number on the bottle. It was recommended to me by Mike at Alandia.

I asked him about the Angelique since I saw many good reviews about it but he said that the bottle I am getting is not as bitter tasting due to the coloration being added during the distillation process or something to that effect.

I did notice that he does not have that for sale on his site and am wondering if I am getting an unbiased recommendation? The bottle I purchased has Alandia on it as the Distributor.

To GStone: to clarify I didn't drink the whole bottle. I had approximately 4 drinks. Each drink had the reservoir filled with Absinthe or alittle above the "bulb" demarcation point and the balance of the drink was water, approximately a 3:1 ratio.

I would like to purchase future Absinthes from a distributor that does not charge so much for shipping but that may not be possible as certain Absinthes are not able to be sold in the USA.

Thanks for any additional recommendations and/or suggestions.

Edited by emerald1

He recommend the number 2 edition, like I said before it is Angelique with no A.A. used for coloration. I have a bottle of this myself and I believe it to be one of very good quality. You can only buy this edition at Alandia.

I'd recommend getting whichever absinthe is available in the states since they tend to be among the best available, in general. There are a lot of great brands which are not yet available, but you can get a lot of good ones that are and not miss too much.

DUNY has free shipping over $100 so if you order two bottles your golden!

Bkultra: I misunderdstood your post regarding #2 but fully understand now.

Thanks.

pt447: Thanks for the suggestions.

I understand the facts about Thujon and that it is the mixture and balance of the herbs that give the effect, but there is something about the US rule only permitting Absinthe manufactured in the USA to contain less than 10mg of Thujon that makes me think that other countries may produce a better Absinthe. If only because they are truer to the manufacturing process of old.

This may be a novice way of thinking but it is a thought I have.

Thujone content has nothing to do with the quality of absinthe. In fact, brands that specifically point out their high thujone content tend to be unbearably disgusting! And there is no "effect" at all, other than a quicker rate of inebriation due to the higher than normal alcohol content. There have been many studies that prove how the thujone rate of vintage absinthe was not the astronomically high amount of today's fake absinthe that is peddled as a "drug". Good absinthe is a product of good quality ingredients, staying true to traditional flavors, and the care that goes into crafting it!

No problem, and I must agree that some of the best COs are from the USA. I have 60+ bottles in my collection (View My Member Profile for the list) and I could name at least 3 USA made absinthe brands that would make my top ten.

there is something about the US rule only permitting Absinthe manufactured in the USA to contain less than 10mg of Thujon that makes me think that other countries may produce a better Absinthe. If only because they are truer to the manufacturing process of old.

Then you'd be completely wrong. Many brands, even in Europe, fall within the US guidelines. Many vintage and pre-ban absinthes also fell within current limits. Even many of the 'feauxsinthes' that claimed to have huge amounts of thujone in fact had very little if any when chemically analyzed.

Don't let popular misperception jade your views on quality.

Thujone content has nothing to do with the quality of absinthe. In fact, brands that specifically point out their high thujone content tend to be unbearably disgusting! And there is no "effect" at all, other than a quicker rate of inebriation due to the higher than normal alcohol content. There have been many studies that prove how the thujone rate of vintage absinthe was not the astronomically high amount of today's fake absinthe that is peddled as a "drug". Good absinthe is a product of good quality ingredients, staying true to traditional flavors, and the care that goes into crafting it!

That's true ! But the taste of an absinthe has to do with how much woorwood is used in the recipe. All the "green" absinthes from the Artemisia distillery won't be legal in the US because of the too hight wormwood contain.

That's why the Suisse Verte, the Angélique or the Opaline can't be sold in the US. Of course you can find some good absinthe in the US, but not all of them... ;)

But the taste of an absinthe has to do with how much woorwood is used in the recipe.

While it's true to say that the amount of wormwood used in a recipe will affect the flavor, it's not true to then conclude that more wormwood = more thujone.

Some of the absinthes that I've had which have some of the most wormwood forward flavor profiles are actually low in thujone content. Leopold Verte has a wormwood profile that rivals many of those in Europe that don't meet the US limits. The Wormwood Blanche that was made several years ago apparently scored at near undetectable levels, from what I've heard. L'Artisanale tested at .1mg combined.

But the taste of an absinthe has to do with how much woorwood is used in the recipe.

While it's true to say that the amount of wormwood used in a recipe will affect the flavor, it's not true to then conclude that more wormwood = more thujone.

If it's not the same Worwood of course. But if it's not the same wormwood, it's not the same taste.

I mean, I've drinked too few US made Absinthe to know how it tastes (and I guess it would depend where it grows as it's a big country...). But you can't compare worwood from the Val-de-Travers and from Pontarlier, or even from Fougerolles.

It's really important to work with good quality wormwoord and Wormwood from Val-de-Travers affects much more the thujone content. Moreover, the best absinthe I've ever tasted from there had more wormwood that the "normal" content (and too much thuyone as well...). And I'm sure everyone here would agree to say it tastes just great ! :cheers:

If it's not the same Worwood of course.

And what makes you think it's not the same wormwood? Plenty of distillers here source their herbs from Europe. Others might use their own AA, but at similar levels as Belle Epoque recipes.

If it's not the same Wormwood of course.

And what makes you think it's not the same wormwood? Plenty of distillers here source their herbs from Europe. Others might use their own AA, but at similar levels as Belle Epoque recipes.

It can't be wormwood from the Val-de-Travers because people from there won't let someone else use "their" wormwood. They are simply proud of the wormwood growing there, and they can ! (I might be wrong and I'll be happy to know how to get wormwood from there if someone knows...)

But that's not the point I was trying to explain. Whatever where the wormwood is from, if it's not the same wormwood, it's not the same taste and not the same thujone content. It explains why "Leopold Verte has a wormwood profile that rivals many of those in Europe that don't meet the US limits."

Moreover, I agree with you: "Many brands, even in Europe, fall within the US guidelines." But some of them have to be changed to be sold in US. Do you think this change don't affect the taste? And that's the same problem in France, but for a different reason (fenchone and pinocamphone)...

Everything depends on the chemotype. E.g. Polish wormwood is low-thujone, Vals-de-Travers wormwood is high-thujone, Pontarlier wormwood is either high or low (depending on the year), Spanish Pyrenees wormwood is no thujone, German wormwood is high-thujone and so on and so forth.

Antoine, the recipes even if the call for as little as 10g/l of wormwood and as much as 250g/l of wormwood, all do depend on the chemotype. And it is relevant only for the purpose of chemical analyses and doesn't have much to do with taste. Some wormwoods are more fragrant and more robust and/or aromatic, but that as well has nothing to do with thujone content.

But some of them have to be changed to be solded in US. Do you think this change don't affect the taste?

FYI, I believe Wormwood Blanche mentioned previously was made with Pontarlier wormwood.

I wouldn't explain it better. But I will always think that these limites (thujone, fenchone and pinocamphone) are stupid because the distillers can't work the way they want.

Again, the best absinthe I know is from the Val-de-Travers but it contents to much thujone to be legal. With a lower content of wormwood, it's not the same great taste and with a wormwood from a different place (with low-thujone) it would probably be the same problem.

I'm just trying to say I wish these limits would be different...

Generally AFAIK, the Swiss would welcome the limit to be between 70-100mg/l due to the chemotype they are working with, however switching to low-thujone wormwood would cause not a single change in the taste-actually the wormwoodiness is more pronounced in low thujone than in high thujone chemotypes.

Thus, you can still be overwhelmed by wormwood goodness in an absinthe that has barely 1mg/l of thujones.

I appreciate everyones replies. They have been very informative.

I spoke or rather have been in contact with Mike at Alandia as he is sending me replacements for a spoon and glass that have slight defects.

He told me that the thujon content of the Suisse Verte I have is between 20-25mg/l.

I will say that I enjoyed that Absinthe and will continue to enjoy it as there is alot left but am thinking to order another bottle of it or rather bottles due to the expense of shipping.

The thing is that each bottle costs around US$80.00 but the shipping is around US$50 so it is not economical to order a bottle at a time.

Also, I have seen that the Jade 1901 is very highly rated and I think the same price but I would have to get that one from a different distributor. The dilemma being that to get both of these bottles would cost me around US$100 in Shipping. I guess no way to get around that one.

I would like to experience the different Absinthes out there but the costs are alittle prohibitive to me regarding the shipping. I could always go US, but again, I am not fond of the idea of the US limiting the way that Absinthe can be manufactured, considering that their reasons for the limitations are tainted regarding their views of Thujon.