Sign in to follow this  
Larspeart

The Twin Cities have (finally) arrived!

Yes, ladies and gentlemen- Larsy is getting his Christmas wish. A little late, but still just as appreciated. Minneapolis finally has a GOOD cocktail bar.

http://www.citypages.com/2009-03-25/restau...cktail-culture/

3 kinds of housemade orange bitters?

an Ice Program? (pretentious or not, I've been to a couple bars with them- it's not psychological, it's science. It makes a dif what kind and how you use your ice)

A menu built on and focused on pre-prohibition classics (with or without a modern twist upon request)?

A place that shuns vodka, and shines on rye?

I'll be there tonight around 9:30, if anyone wants to meet up with me and a few (dozen) of my closest friends.

Tonight, my attitude is "What recession?".

I have always been a fan of the old Town Talk, so this one is going to be new to enjoy. Looking forward to traveling over some time from Saint Paul, which everyone knows is 300 miles away from Minneapolis, right? :cheers:

I hear they do really well with seafood. Restaurants are seemingly poised to do well in challenging times here.

the Winter Sazerac, with Wild Turkey rye whiskey, brown-sugar-coffee syrup, and absinthe. (Our dapper, mustachioed waiter described it as being "the real deal,"

I'll wait to hear your evaluation of this, Lars, before I come right out and call it heresy.

Review (very brief, as I gotta pack for another work trip)-

The bar itself is fantastic in it's design. Custom exotic woods, and a beautiful backbar area. The crowd was kinda light, but well-dressed, and no signs of d-bags and drunkette's all over mucking the place up. My host was tops. My server was not. She was pleasant enough, but I hardly experienced the top-shelf training I was hoping for. Maybe she was new. Maybe it was an off-night for her. She didn't seem terribly knowledgable though.

The cocktails- I had 3. The first was ordered through the above-mentioned server. The second two... I went straight up to the bar and bellied up (a wise decision).

First Cocktail- A straight Sazerac (I did not want to try the winter one. I do NOT have a problem with an upscale bar moderizing a classic, so I do not mind additional things added/changed in a classic, as long as they don't just call it a regular Sazerac. The coffee-brown sugar thing didn't sound appetizing to me is all). The poured me a generous pour of Rittenhouse, atomized Lucid, and Peychaud's, with just a hint of simple syrup. I had a very stylishly twisted lemon peel, flamed just a tad (yes, there was fire, but not THAT kind of fire, haha!). No special frilly tools and such that were superfluous, beyond the atomizer. I thought it was as well-made as I have had in a bar before.

2nd cocktail- I was at the bar, and asked the 'tender (Alex) to make me an aviation. A nice fav of mine. He suggested I give a drink called a Margurito a try instead. Very similar, but with a touch of dry vermouth. While making that one, he asked if I would like to try a Perfect Margurito- half sweet and half dry vermouth (I am sure I am misspelling it) as well. He'd make both, and charge me only for the one I preferred. I prefered the classic, and he split the second between my date and another gal-pal that had come with us. Well made, and nice glassware used.

3rd cocktail- Their Romeo and Juliet- a house specialty cocktail. I wish I could find a recipe for it, and I decided not to ask but the link below at least takes you to a picture I found of it from there online. I know they used 2 different housemade bitters in it, both floated on top of a layer of foamed egg whites. It was a heavenly (if a touch sweet) drink.

http://www.citypages.com/photoGallery/inde...on=1&page=1

Prices were much better than I expected. No cocktail over $10, with the sweet-spot being around $8 for most. Decent pours, and if you stick to the bar, the guy I had, and the other guy working that night that I observed knew their drinks, spirits and a touch of history.

A solid 8.5 rating.

http://www.citypages.com/photoGallery/inde...on=1&page=1

It's hard for me to imagine naming a drink a Margurito (or anything pronounced that way) if it isn't some sort of hybrid Margarita/Mojito. It isn't a name I'd give to an Aviation cocktail with vermouth added, anyway. Did you like it? Was it a good suggestion to offer someone who was asking for an Aviation?

The version with dry vermouth was actually quite good. Yes, the drink name seemed oddly too-close to a margarita... but perhaps it really WAS named after a creator named Margurito? Haha! No idea. I think I had the general demeanor that night of a guy who was looking to explore and try new things, so without saying it, he may have just pegged me as someone who would be willing to give a variation a 'shot'.