Sign in to follow this  
GoatKart

SAAAAYYY WHAAAAAAAAAT

Not sure of the authenticity- mthuilli could possibly verify that – but as far as the description and history lesson goes… couldn’t be more wrong. :thumbdown:

I've spent many nights drinking only absinthe and I've never had the thought of doing any kind of harm to my family.

So take that weird ebay auctioneer who thought he could turn a profit on a trinket that may or may not have an accurate history.

Ha.

I thought everyone became homicidal after drinking absinthe. Isn’t it a fact when you drink absinthe you have to slay your family? Isn't it the law or something? :thumbdown:

Well, she looks like a nice enough lady. It's too bad there's no easy to find out what the heck that goofy looking thing really is.

Actually it is a measuring device for making a drink. Various names for them

You can still get modern versions of them today. Ezra Brooks was giving them away a season or two ago in gift packs with bourbon.

You place the device across the mouth of a glass and pour whatever into the cup area (most are marked for size/portion American ones usually 1/2, 1, and/or 1 1/2 oz ).

You fill it to where you need it then flip/pour the contents into a glass.

There is another non measuring version people used for chilling a shot by using much as above except across a glass full of ice.When it got cold enough you poured it in and drank it.

As to whether it was used for absinthe ? Possibly if you were making a cocktail using absinthe where you measured it like any other ingredient. As to specialized for absinthe only - no - it's a general use bar tool. You could of course you it to drop your measured absinthe in water if you wanted to also.

As to the other remarks - other people covered that pretty well.

Can it be true? Another absinthe enthusiast from Western New York? Good to know. And I thought I was alone in the wilderness... :wave2:

I met a great bartender at Dinosaur BBQ in Rochester a few weeks ago (unfortunately forgot his name), who poured me the last of a bottle of Lucid, gratis. He expressed an interest in absinthe, so I pointed him in the direction of DUNY for a broader perspective. Gotta spread the word!

Where's that in Rochester? I go up there occasionally for work and would love to stop in for some absinthe after I get off for the day!

It's near the river and War Memorial :

<h3 class="r">Dinosaur Bar-B-Que </h3>www.dinosaurbarbque.com

99 Court St

Rochester, NY 14604

(585) 325-7090

Get directions

Haven't been there in a while. Have to try to find the bartender and turn him on to some other brands too.

Personally I would go to Good Luck on South Goodman (better food and drinks).

<h3 class="r">Good Luck </h3>www.restaurantgoodluck.com

50 Anderson St

Rochester, NY 14607

(585) 340-6161

Get directions

They do have St George and working on expanding their offerings.

Sardonix - I thought I was the only one in Western New York too.

Anyone who wants to can PM me - happy to run into fellow enthusiasts if you are headed this way.

If I could remember that far back, I wouldn't be senile...or is it theshort term memory that plagues us...I forget.

Haven't had the pleasure, Sardonix.

In fact, I wasn't even aware that Rochester has (or ever had) a subway.

Rochester's subway shut down in 1950 or so. Before that the tunnels were part of the Erie Canal system . Which is why you can drown in the barge turning pool or get swept into the Genesee River if you make a misstep (happened to a friend of mine - didn't think it was funny)

Now used by the homeless especially in winter as steam pipes still run through there.

Also used to dump bodies from time to time.

If you get seriously bored you can walk from the Dinosaur (aka the Biker Petting Zoo) to Nick Tahou's home of the Garbage Plate via the subway tunnel and go hang with all the straight razor carrying prostitutes at 4 AM assuming you make it out of the tunnels.

Like a said, for the seriously bored.

While I've been to both Nick's and the Dinosaur on a number of occasions, a vehicle was always my mode of transport, so I've never had the pleasure of bumping into the straight razor wielding hookers...oh the little joys we miss when not hoofing it. :rolleyes:

Mmmmm, Nick Tahou's Infamous Garbage Plate... :dribble: Tasty, nutritious (every food group represented, all in one heaping serving), & guaranteed to keep you regular...