Brian Robinson

HUGE new absinthe article

I've been in touch with the editor of a magazine who is very interested in putting together a multi-faceted absinthe article for his next issue. Absinthe will be the cover spot and will also have somewhere around 5-6 pages dedicated to it.

We're going to have multiple sections addressing different issues such as history, the last decade, preparation, how to buy good absinthe, etc.

We also want to put together mini-pieces that will be smattered into different corners and such called 'My Favorite Absinthe'. Members will each name their favorite absinthe and write a small paragraph describing why they like it and maybe a little about the producer.

This is the part that we'd like you all to contribute to! I won't be doing one in order to maintain impartiality, so I'd like as many of you as possible to write one up and email it to me. I'll be selecting the top ten paragraphs and sending them to the editor. Credit will go to each person, either by your screen name or real name (whatever you prefer). For obvious reasons, I'm only going to select one for each brand.

This article will give us an opportunity to have readers explore multiple aspects of absinthe in-depth, and each section should be reasonably easy for each author to write. It will also allow us to get a bunch of brands into the magazine without having to resort to numerical ratings or traditional reviews.

Deadline for your paragraphs is April 9th. Please send them to me at my hotmail address, Shabba53. Happy writing!

Feel free to post any questions or suggestions in this thread. Also, anyone who might want to volunteer to do some writing either for this or other future articles, feel free to note that here as well.

Follow up change:

Instead of doing 'My favorite absinthe', we're going to do 'Try this absinthe'. That way, we don't need to worry about picking favorites. I think that will make it easier to get 10 different kinds.

I think it would be OK to talk about any product, domestic or foreign, but I think it would help the US absinthe market more if we tried to stick with domestics.

As for the 'try this absinthe', it doesn't necessarily have to be your favorite, but it could be a brand that you find unique or particularly enjoyable for a certain reason. For example, someone could say 'Try Serpis', because it's the namesake of a cult classic Slerpis. It's a free for all, like I said. I'd like to see more submissions compared to less, so we have a lot to choose from.

By the way, I just spoke with the editor, and he'd like to not only credit each contributor, but he'd also like to add in a picture and short bio for each on the inside cover.

Also, he's now expanded the article to 8-10 pages!

Fantastic! It's great to see such an interest in the resurgence of true absinthe. What an opportunity to get the word out and cut through some of the BS that's out there.

Wow! Very exciting developments happening! 8-10 pages is no joke. I may have to buy multiple copies when it comes out, regardless if I'm in there.

I'm curious about helping write articles, though my confidence and resources may not be up to par yet.

I'll be happy to write something. But isn't it a problem to pick an absinthe which is not available in the US? If you say you will prefer domestic absinthe, I won't be necessary for me to do it...

I think it would be OK to talk about any product, domestic or foreign, but I think it would help the US absinthe market more if we tried to stick with domestics.

By "domestics," do you mean US-made absinthe, or absinthes made for the US market (essentially the list on my blog, or at least those that have made it to market)?

If you mean US-made absinthe (as I interpret the above), is this the first stage of the absinthe trade wars? I really hope you don't mean that ...

Maybe it's just me who hasn't P'd TFA, but is there a list over what's currently available over there in the US? I might give it a shot, but I don't really know what's on your shelves at the moment ...

Bump.

OK peeps, still looking for volunteers to put together a few sections.

Hmmm..there sure was a lot of talk about putting together an absinthe magazine, but people have become strangely quiet now that we're asking for some help putting together the first magazine-type publication. ;)

BTW, thanks to those of you who've already sent in some of the 'try this absinthe' blurbs. Keep them coming. They are easy to write. Takes a lot less time than a formal review.

ALSO, please make sure to send in a small biography and pic if you'd like to be recognized as a contributor.

I'm looking for a couple of specific sections, some might be better served to come from people who are in the know, like H, DB and Ted, but others can be done by pretty much anyone who has a good idea about absinthe:

Aside from the 'Try this' blubs, I'd also like a section about misinformation vs. truth, and the history of absinthe. I'm already working on both of these sections, but i'd like some input from others, so I'd like to read what others would put together. You'll be fuly credited with whatever is used.

As for misinformation vs. truth, would real life anecdotes be worthy of submission? Because I can write a whole essay on that with all the strange looks and misinformation I've encountered!

I have to second Antione's sentiments. Especially with Pacifique and Vieux Carre being out of reach until after the deadline, there's not a lot to choose from, but gotta make due, I suppose. Assuming there's more than a handful of us submitting these, we're all going to be writing blurbs on the same half dozen brands...

Any chance of having a few "avoid this brand"? I'll write one for Pernod if someone else will tackle LTV.

I say send in whatever brand you want to write about. At least we'll have a bunch to choose from then.

However, Alan's blog shows 44 different brands listed in the TTB. Granted not all of them are available yet, but there's quite a few that are. I count 31 that are available right now in at least some areas of the US.

Legally speaking, I'd like to avoid making any disparaging remarks against any specific brands, so the 'avoid this absinthe' blurb might not be a good idea. ;)

Hmmm..there sure was a lot of talk about [insert project here], but people have become strangely quiet now that we're asking for some help ...

No! :shock: Who saw that coming? ;)

I've yet to receive a death threat yet...

It's not as exciting as you might imagine.

Brian, did you receive my messages? I haven't heard back from you, so I just wanted to make sure it sent alright. You should have 4 total.

EDIT: Whoops, I see why now. No worries.

Yeah, I was a bit.... busy.... for most of the day yesterday. :devil:

I did indeed receive all of your goodies. Thank you!

As for everyone else, PLEASE send me some stuff! The deadline was extended to the 15th. I'd love to be able to give credit to as many people as we possibly can to give the WS even more rapport. This article, amongst a couple of other things coming up in the next few months literally has the opportunity to be a game changer in the US absinthe arena.