Striker308

Another one from Pennsylvania

She was just doing her best to support you in drinking a quality absinthe. She really wants you to try the VC. Welcome. :cheers:

P.S. What Brian said except I prefer the Kübler over the Lucid.

Welcome fellow Pennsylvanian! :cheers:

I have been interested in trying the Grande Absente also, even though it scored low here! I agree with all that the Vieux Carre is excellent. Do yourself a favor and try it.

Okay, just picked up bottle #2.................this time VC. Well, dare I say I prefer my first bottle of Grande Absente.

Just my opinion, but the VC is too earthy tasting. Is that normal? Am I normal??

Is that normal? Am I normal??

1) Probably

2) I wouldn't recognize normal if it was standing next to me, so, let's go with yes.

I haven't tasted grande Absente...yet. Everybody has different tastes. Shoot, some people like sugar in their absinthe.* <shrug>

There may be a little sarcasm there...or not. *devil grin*

Drink up, Cheers!

Welcome aboard!

I suppose it’s all in your tastes; some may consider an ‘earthy’ tasting absinthe more pure, or fitting for such a natural and wonderful drink. But, I might be slightly predisposed in my opinions :)

Just my opinion, but the VC is too earthy tasting.

Never heard that about VC--it's certainly not my experience with it--but everyone's palate is different. It's definitely more complex than Grande Absente, which has a really one-dimensional flavor profile, and that may be what's throwing you. Or it may be one of VC's more unconventional ingredients--the genepi? Try it a few more times (and test different water-to-absinthe ratios; I like it at around 3.5:1, no sugar) and see if you don't gradually warm to it. I've found that some absinthes require a little "gettin' to know you" time before I fall in love with them; others are love at first taste. VC may be in the former category for you.

Well, I have heard that it's more heavily sedimented than some (not that this is a bad thing, mind you), so that could certainly lend an "earthy" quality.

It's definitely true that VC has a certain amount of natural herbal sediment (the amount varies from bottle to bottle), but this doesn't impart an earthiness to it--to my palate. Again, taste is subjective. The sediment certainly intensifies the flavor that's already there if a lot of it ends up in your glass (when you get to the bottom of a bottle, for example), but that's all to the good, as far as I'm concerned. Those little floaties are yummy! On the other hand, if you don't find VC to your liking in the first place and end up with a lot of sediment in your glass...

Edited to ensure the appearance of sobriety.

I made my VC 4:1 with sugar. The earthy flavor just made it kind of harsh....the Grande Absinthe just seem so smooth with a great licorice flavor. Well, we'll have to see how my taste changes after I finish 1/2 a bottle............not at once :devil:

I did notice an interesting affect. The Grande Absinthe gave me an immediate warm feeling and by the end of the glass, a nice euphoric buzz. The VC did nothing to me till about 1 hr after finishing my glass.........I felt lit!!!, hmm...............light weight!!!

Edited by Striker308

Edited to ensure the appearance of sobriety.

Honest AND intelligent. Ladies, one of you needs to snap this fella up! (If only for the fact that he apparently has plenty of absinthe to go around). :devil:

Okay, I had drinks 2 and 3 last night of the VC. I'm warming up to it now. My ratio seems to be 3:1 with sugar. Amazing how the ratio of water can really affect the flavor. Okay, I'm learning. :cheers:

Glad you're warming to it!

Different water ratios can utterly transform an absinthe. Many folks seem to prefer VC at 3:1 or even 2.5:1; they feel it "falls apart" if you go much higher than that. I personally like a little more water (3.5:1) with mine. And if you haven't tried it without sugar yet, give that a whirl sometime--you might be surprised again!

VC is definitely my go-to absinthe - I am pretty impressed with it, plus its inexpensive, & available right on the store shelf!

Im from Philly and Im new to absinthe as well, I've gotta say Vieux Carre (which is made in Philly :thumbup: ), is pretty damn good. Im not saying that just cause Im a local now Luscious Oily Lesbians!.

My first bottle was Grande Absente as well I liked it, my girlfriend didnt. But I must say, I like VC a whole lot better, not as sweet and no overpowering Licorice flavor.

Edited by zombie

But I must say, I like VC a whole lot better

Proof that you actually have a functional palate which I understand is rare in a zombie! :cheers: