Ken Hallenius

The Czechs are Hitting their Stride

Isn't Ouzo traditionally served with a splash of cold water? I remember hearing something about that.

Generally it is served in a cylidrical 200ml glass filled 1/3 or 1/2 with ouzo and water is added by the customer according to the preference. In better restaurants, the guests signal with "tamam!" that there is enough amount of ouzo in their glasses. Together with a glass, cold water is brought to the table (mineral water is allowed as well) and several ice cubes, just in case.

Some people might drink their ouzo neat, but chasing the concoction with a glass of cold water. Alternatively, people add water to their ouzo, drink some and add water further, it helps to diminish the possibility of drinking too much on a hot day.

Of course, ouzo is not drunk alone, but is accompanied with appetizers, known as meze or mezédes. These might include feta cheese or honey melons as well as salted almonds, tomatoes, cucumbers, various salads, some frutti di mare, most of them served with the famous yoghurt-based tzatzik (cacık) sauce. Lest we forget about grilled meat and such specialties as shish kebab and the likes thereof.

As of later date, the trend of drinking ouzo with orange or tomato juice is gaining popularity, however among the youngsters only, so shall fade.

On the other hand, tsipouro or tsikoudia which is much stronger (up to 90% if of artisanal origin) than ouzo and might be anise-flavoured as well is more often served chilled in a shot glass, again accompanied with the same appetizers.

Some years ago, my uncle brought some tsipouro from one artist from Greece and although the anisiness smoothened the 90% heat and it was going down the throat easily, it was still too heavy and we decided to dilute it to 45% and then it was very nice tipple. Great one as we prepared some sort of mezédes as well.

it might not be Czech is that it doesn't say "Based on a Swiss recipe." :devil:

Ha!

These guys are going at it again, eh? Yeah, I tried talking to them a few months ago, and they are from Italy yes, because I remember jokingly asking if they had the L'Italienne! Anyway I spoke with them both on IM and via e-mail...they're beyond hope, 100% money-grubbers from what I've gathered.

pt, Uncle Paulie from Absintheology is a nice guy, but unfortunately these days he's more concerned about promoting his sponsors; Tabu and LTV. :thumbdown:

pt, Uncle Paulie from Absintheology is a nice guy, but unfortunately these days he's more concerned about promoting his sponsors; Tabu and LTV. :thumbdown:

Nice guy, yes, but he's always been more concerned about promotion, it's what he does. The "Absinthe Party" event that he hosts has always been sponsored by questionable products, so he can't really afford to take a stand.

Nice guy, yes, but he's always been more concerned about promotion, it's what he does. The "Absinthe Party" event that he hosts has always been sponsored by questionable products, so he can't really afford to take a stand.

Then he's of no use to further absinthe as a legitimate entity.

Uncle Paulie was the guy from the videos? The first cideo I ever saw from him he was pouring some La Clandestine, so I thought he was a respectable guy. Then in the next video he reached for the Le Tourment Verte, and I got a little worried. The third video I saw was the Czech Huffing Ritual, and that made me cry a little. I felt sorry for the glass.

Then he's of no use to further absinthe as a legitimate entity.

Precisely, exactly. Well said.