• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#31 techdiver

techdiver

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 01:36 PM

Tending to not sugar: and being in a hurry, I just fill the reservoir with absinthe, fill the brouiller with ice and fill with water and it works out fine. If I need sweetness I use a Splenda tab and drip on a spoon. Yes, I'm diabetic.

#32 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,254 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 03:07 PM

The syrup I was referring to is simple syrup. Half sugar, half water, boiled until disolved and stored in a bottle. I use a little plastic squeeze bottle and store it in the fridge. Simple.
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#33 baubel

baubel

Hued-pottymouth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,826 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 03:29 PM

Fortunately now we've got some cheapos out on the market, so experimentin' isn't as costly as it could be.

Honey can bring out some interesting flavors, or it can oppress all other flavors as well if ye get a little excited. That's all highly variable on the brand of absinthe, and the type of honey.

I put a little rooh afzah in some doses for the sake of curiosity, and aside from making it the most intense rouge I've ever tried (louche wise) the flavors weren't always that great. I tried a couple of different brands with that combo, and they were all blanches to start with. I never tried it with vertes.

I say conservatively try some out, but try to be mindful about it. I don't think root-beer syrup would help out the flavor or the louche of any absinthe, but I wouldn't know, I've never tried it.

:cheers: back to some Gentleman from Venice. ;)

A little technological fix to a spiritual problem.

#34 Phoenix

Phoenix

Advansed Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 09:06 PM

GoatKart, I think you're over analyzing the whole preparation (I did the same thing). As mentioned before, try it all sorts of ways and see what you like.

That said, here's my tips for you:

- Use cold water and add it slowly.
- If you taste the alcohol heat, add more water.
- If it's too bitter, add sugar.
- Enjoy!
"He's a politician. It's like being a hooker. You can't be one unless you can pretend to like people while you're f***ing them."

#35 GoatKart

GoatKart

• Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 02:49 PM

GoatKart, I think you're over analyzing the whole preparation (I did the same thing). As mentioned before, try it all sorts of ways and see what you like.

That said, here's my tips for you:

- Use cold water and add it slowly.
- If you taste the alcohol heat, add more water.
- If it's too bitter, add sugar.
- Enjoy!

Definitely true, however since I plan on displaying, educating, etc. this all to my friends, and trying to feign at least some level of competence about the whole thing, I am trying to make sure I do this as accurately as possible.

The last thing I want to do is spread bad form and disinformation because I didn't take the time to ask the question. :)

Thanks again everyone!
Awww... I wanted to explode. -Gir-Invader Zim
Zombo

#36 bksmithey

bksmithey

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 03:36 PM

A couple of comments:

I agree completely with what Joe said about overwatering, the main thing I notice is a loss of mouthfeel; no surprise, it starts to feel "watery". You'll know it when you do it. But don't worry about it -- often they'll still taste nice, and if you don't like it that way, do as Brian said, add a little more absinthe.

And what Phoenix said, that's exactly how I treat a new absinthe. I have a few different glasses, but I know pretty close where 3:1 is on all of them for their indicated dose. So I pour a dose, louche up to about 3:1, and give it a taste. If I like it, I drink it. If it's too "intense", I'll add more water. To me, "too intense" is often characterized by a strong spice and/or anise flavor, and a lack of complexity; more water will mellow it and allow more of the subtle flavors to emerge.

Goat, you're talking about buying a bunch of glasses, perhaps all similar. First thing to do when you get them is fill one to the dose mark with water, and then dump that into a measuring cup to see how much it is. May be 3/4 oz, may be 1 oz., may be a little more. Then, fill the glass to the dose mark again, and now measure and add 3x that amount of water to the glass. Make a mental note of how full the glass is. Now you know what it should look like at 3:1. Now, whenever you try a new absinthe, fill with absinthe to the dose mark and then louche to your 3:1 level. Try it, and adjust to taste as Phoenix described. When noobs come over for a drink, just show them how to do it.

It's not gospel, but it works for me. Then you just need to keep in mind which absinthes you like with a bit more water.

#37 GoatKart

GoatKart

• Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 04:12 PM

A couple of comments:

I agree completely with what Joe said about overwatering, the main thing I notice is a loss of mouthfeel; no surprise, it starts to feel "watery". You'll know it when you do it. But don't worry about it -- often they'll still taste nice, and if you don't like it that way, do as Brian said, add a little more absinthe.

And what Phoenix said, that's exactly how I treat a new absinthe. I have a few different glasses, but I know pretty close where 3:1 is on all of them for their indicated dose. So I pour a dose, louche up to about 3:1, and give it a taste. If I like it, I drink it. If it's too "intense", I'll add more water. To me, "too intense" is often characterized by a strong spice and/or anise flavor, and a lack of complexity; more water will mellow it and allow more of the subtle flavors to emerge.

Goat, you're talking about buying a bunch of glasses, perhaps all similar. First thing to do when you get them is fill one to the dose mark with water, and then dump that into a measuring cup to see how much it is. May be 3/4 oz, may be 1 oz., may be a little more. Then, fill the glass to the dose mark again, and now measure and add 3x that amount of water to the glass. Make a mental note of how full the glass is. Now you know what it should look like at 3:1. Now, whenever you try a new absinthe, fill with absinthe to the dose mark and then louche to your 3:1 level. Try it, and adjust to taste as Phoenix described. When noobs come over for a drink, just show them how to do it.

It's not gospel, but it works for me. Then you just need to keep in mind which absinthes you like with a bit more water.

All good ideas, and simple to boot!

I guess that means I am going to have to take a FEW for the team and drink multiple glasses just to get the taste preferences down pat.

HAHAHA
Awww... I wanted to explode. -Gir-Invader Zim
Zombo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2017 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association