DesertWolf

Tonight the Jade VS....

Well, maybe I need to spend some time developing my palate...

Was not impressed with the VS. I made 2 short drinks our of what I had.

First one I was about 2:1 mix, not bad on the tongue, but really felt the alcohol. Added some more water. Better taste , but really thin in the mouth. And from the start there was an aroma, hard to describe, first thing that comes to mind is Jack's word "funk", I just did not enjoy it.

On my second glass I barely finished it.

Like I said it may be an underdeveloped palate for it. What has been some of your views of the VS?

I still have the NO and the Edouard to try tomorrow night. So there may still be hope for me :P

Jack's word is "burnt™," "funk" is everybody's. ;)

The 2:1 ratio is a bit strong. Most people do between 3:1 and 5:1, and for me it varies with the absinthe. You're looking to create a cocktail that is about the strength of a highball; it shouldn't taste like strong liquor. In fact, with a properly made absinthe, you can barely tell it's alcoholic.

Whether you used sugar or not could also be a factor; whichever you did, you may want to try it the other way.

Burnt™ is the overcooked caramel/sugary taste.

It has nothing to do with funk.

The funky gym sock thing is a whole different matter.

Some notice the funk others don't.

I agree that 2:1 is pretty strong. 3:1 or 4:1 seems to be ratios I like the best and remember, very cold water.

I've found absinthe often hides the alcohol, which can be quite mean. A 4:1 BdF is around 14%abv but it often tastes like 8%. You can just be sipping away and don't even realize how much you drank until it hits you and everything is wobbly.

2:1 is a bit on the strong side, but there shouldn't be any bad flavors in a 2:1 absinthe, only flavors that are too strong. If there's funk in 2:1, it's still a bad sign in my opinion.

Well I guess I better calibrate my glass so I know the true ratio, at least till I get use to the glass I am using, that way I can give the NO and Edouard an honest tasting tonight.

Well I went back and calibrated the glass, and I was accually around 3:1.

At least tonight I will know what ratio I am drinking.

Edited by DesertWolf

I also prefer approximately a 3:1 ratio.

However, being Absomphe, I must qualify that to indicate 3 parts absinthe to one part water.

I have been told I have a very dry humour.

I wonder if someone makes a lotion to rub on your humour.

VS was my first of the Jades and for the first few glasses there was a bit of an uggg factor over a smell and a taste (almost an aftertaste) that I thought was the "Funk" some people talk about. Now I doubt that it was since I no longer notice it. Maybe it was just me getting used to the wormwood or something.

Jack's word is "burnt™," "funk" is everybody's.  ;)

Jack draws a distinction between Burnt™ and Sewer.™ Almost everyone can detect a distinct funkiness with the Jades, at least without some aging. There's nothing wrong with your palate if you're not a VS fan. The Eddie is the best of the three, the N.O. the most unusual. The VS is just sort of there.

I have been told I have a very dry humour.

I wonder if someone makes a lotion to rub on your humour.

Now why would I want a moist, soft, supple humour> :huh:

Why, you're a fan of dry alcohol?

If its effects on the system are anything like those of dry ice, y'all in fo' a heap o' trouble, dude! :shock: :harhar:

Several members remark that certain absinthes "mellow" or lose their disagreeable funk over time. I'll ask the question, even though the answer is predictable ("it depends"): How long? Does the bottle need to opened before "aging" or can a new bottle simply be allowed to rest for a particular length of time? What is really happening? Some constituent degrading?

If this is commonplace, why not "age" the commercial absinthe before selling it? There are plenty of other spirits that are purposefully "aged" before being sold to the consumer.

The answer to your last question should be obvious...economics...the longer you age a product, the less cost effective it is to produce. Given the inferior quality of so many absinths (and quite a few absinthes) out there, aging is about the lastthing their producers need to worry about, after better ingredients, and better production methods.

As far as how long to age an absinthe...

Generally 3-4 months is probably optimal, although pre-ban Pernod Fils was sometimes aged for as long as three years, or even a bit longer.

Hey there

I bought a bottle of Libertine 72 back in September. I opened it the day I recieved it (the 15th I believe). The description from absinthe-distribution compared it with the VdF. Needless to say it was not anywhere close. Mainly alchohol in the nose and an incredibly weak mouth-feel. I noticed the date of fabrication printed on the bottle was 30-8-05. The stuff was barely in the bottle. I was pretty disappointed so I put it back on my shelf. After two weeks I tried it again and this time it was much improved with a better aroma and finish(strange in that I believe libertine is a mix and not distilled; someone correct me if I am wrong). Not that it's amazing or anything, but at least it will not be gathering dust for the next year or two. By the way, I meant to make my first post in the newcomers introduction section, but here I am putting my two cents in on this thread. I'll try to get something there later tonight. Sante!

The Flying Monkeys arrived this morning with my first bottle of Absinthe, the Jade Suisse Verte, I could barely contain myself to wait for the the "green hour". At 5 I opened the bottle, pored a measure of Absinthe into my Cordon glass which was helpfully supplied by LdF and as slowwwwly as possable dripped my ice water into the glass. Ten minutes later I had my first sip.

I am very pleased with the taste! Having no experience of other brands I cannot compare it to other Absinthes, but compared to "regular" cocktails it has a totally different dimension of complexity that is very nice indeed.

I am now on my second glass, this time I included a sugar cube in the ritual, which I expected to make the drink sweeter, but I found it didn't really make it sweeter, just different. I can only describe it as thicker, a fuller "mouth feel" if I understand that term correctly. The taste is also a little thicker, making the flavors more pronounced.

I look forward to my third glass!

Way to go! I like the final release VS more than I did the pre-release version. In fact, I think I'll dig it out of the cupboard tonight. Thanks for the nudge!

Liquor snobs, a liquor blog, did a VS review using a slightly modified FV scoring sheet,

VS Review

It beat them on St Patricks day,

"We are beaten, broken men. On Friday evening, St. Patrick's Day, we introduced ourselves to the green fairy Absinthe, and it tied us up, made us its bitch, and never even called the next morning. We don't blame the liquor itself - and to be honest, we were extremely impressed with the flavor and quality of the two Jade Liqueurs brands we tried. That was part of the problem."

Absinthe 1, Liquor snobs 0

For what it's worth, I taste a bit of funk but not sewer in my VS now that it has aged for some time. It's also my favourite of the three green Jades.

One thing is important, though: do remove enough of the wax seal, or the alcohol will eat away some of it while you pour it, and it will change the taste.