Custom absinthiana glass blowing

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Misanthrope

Misanthrope

• PipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 01:10 PM

A co-worker of mine knows a guy who does scientific glass blowing and art glass blowing. With the slowdown in demand for scientific glass blowing, he's been doing lots more art glass blowing; mainly making bongs (hey, whatever pays the bills).
Disclaimer: this is not an endorsement of illicit drug use nor is this to imply an association of absinthe with drug use.
Anyway, if you had access to an experienced glass blower, what sort of absinthiana would you have commissioned? Glasses with opalescent swirled pedestals? Fountains with green spouts that spiral around the water reservoir? Some examples of art glasses and goblets can be seen here. Of course one could replicate something that's already been done or is already available overseas but where's the fun and adventure in that? Besides, this guy's in the U.S.
So, share your ideas and maybe we can create something. :cheers:
It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this. -- Bertrand Russell
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. -- Dr Seuss
I hate mankind, for I think myself one of the best of them, and I know how bad I am. -- Joseph Baretti
Humankind cannot stand very much reality. -- T. S. Eliot

#2 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,217 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 02:36 PM

Got any examples of your friend's work?

Maker of Marteau Absinthe
Master Distiller, Gnostalgic Spirits Distillery
www.absinthemarteau.com
Confessions of an Absinthiste

#3 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,727 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 02:43 PM

I'd like a multi-tiered broullier, with an area for ice and water on top, then below, an area where you can put a sugar cube. There are examples of it in metal on Oxy's site, but I think a glass one, with a really fine, swirling funnel down to the cube area would be awesome. I'll sketch up what I mean and scan it.
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#4 Misanthrope

Misanthrope

• PipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 02:55 PM

Got any examples of your friend's work?

My co-worker knows him. I'll see about getting some pix.
It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this. -- Bertrand Russell
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. -- Dr Seuss
I hate mankind, for I think myself one of the best of them, and I know how bad I am. -- Joseph Baretti

#5 baubel

baubel

Hued-pottymouth

• 7,702 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 03:58 PM

A friend of mine asked me several weeks ago if I knew anybody who did any work with glass. He has some bottles of a liqueur that he would like to have converted into glasses, by cutting the tops off and buffing the rims. Think your coworker's acquaintance might be interested?

A little technological fix to a spiritual problem.

#6 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,895 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 04:41 PM

Hmmm, a custom Ridge glass... Now, how cool would that be?

#7 baubel

baubel

Hued-pottymouth

• 7,702 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 09:57 PM

That would be pretty cool. But even cooler to enjoy a dose out of.

#8 Ken Hallenius

Ken Hallenius

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 10:21 PM

Baubel, I have a Boston Shaker glass that is actually a Starbucks Coffee Liqueur bottle that has been cut and ground to turn it into a large mixing glass. It's the workhorse of my home bar, and it looks cool to boot. I can only imagine how awesome it would be to have some other liqueur bottles as glasses like your friend is looking for.
"If you've never said anything that can be held over your head on the internet, you've never been on the internet." - Peridot

http://blog.hallenius.org

#9 buddhasynth

buddhasynth

Unseemly and Obtuse

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,647 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 11:14 PM

Uranium. B)
What part of Klaatu Barada Nikto don't you understand?

...because shoddy absinthes will be flavored with the lubricator of take the lead anise.

#10 Retrogarde

Retrogarde

"historical joie de vivre" -Marlow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 06:56 PM

I strongly second Brian "Shabba" Robinson's request. Let's see that art Brian!
The basic tools of the absintheur are essentially a spoon, glass, sugar cube, chilled water, and absinthe. None of the other objects are actually necessary to prepare the drink, but they are imperative for instigating a type of visual hypnosis and bringing richness to the ceremony.
--Betina J. Wittels

#11 techdiver

techdiver

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,922 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 04:39 AM

How about an absinthe glass similar to the Dirty Martini glass?

#12 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,727 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 06:32 AM

I strongly second Brian "Shabba" Robinson's request. Let's see that art Brian!

So here's a quick and dirty sketch to give you an idea of what I'm talking about.

I envision three supporting stands, as opposed to the two I drew. I also think that, the bottom section, where the sugar would be placed could even be punched with extra holes to make it similar to a grille instead of just a hole. That might be hard with glass though.

The top section could also have some design on it, like wormwood leaves, or even the WS lettering, etc.

Attached File  two_layer_broullier.jpg   81.77K   22 downloads

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#13 Misanthrope

Misanthrope

• PipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 10:27 AM

Ooo, I like the dual-level glass broullier. I forwarded your sketch to Marty (co-worker's name). I have tomorrow off but I expect to have an update by Monday. By the way, Marty's also an absinthe enthusiast so he has a vested interest in some custom glass work.

#14 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,727 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 11:41 AM

I want a cut of the profits. :devil:

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#15 Heavy Harpoon

Heavy Harpoon

• PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 10:46 PM

Maybe a decanter made for louching with a brouille like spout designed for slow dripping. There is also a few antique glasses that could be used as inspiration (I.E. the mazegran). Maybe not on the glassblowing subject but I'd like to see a Steampunk mod absinthe fountain, back me up here Retro.
HH

#16 Heavy Harpoon

Heavy Harpoon

• PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 10:57 PM

http://cgi.ebay.fr/A...E...A1|240:1318

Kinda like this.
HH

#17 AetherWeaver

AetherWeaver

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 06:57 AM

My vote would be for an absinthe carafe as seen in some of the old catalogs, which has a funnel-spout at the top... That looks like an excellent design for getting a good drip.

#18 uglybiker

uglybiker

• PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 05:33 PM

http://cgi.ebay.fr/A...E...A1|240:1318

Kinda like this.

Now yer talkin'! :cheers:
And I'll add these:

http://cgi.ebay.fr/w...wIt...n=8&ps=35

http://cgi.ebay.fr/w...wIt...n=8&ps=35
I am mot suffering from mental illness
Quite the contrary! I'm enjoying every minute!

#19 Trid

Trid

Ooo Shiny!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 02:15 PM

A glassblower friend of mine has taken upon himself to create an absinthe glass.
(all hand blown from a glob of glass...no mold or template)
Empty
A dose in the reservoir
Starting the louche
Fully louched

I forget which brand we used...I think it was La Muse, but I forget.

Oh, and also:
The previous attempt - Not as pretty, proportions are a bit wonky, but it got the ball rolling.
Some people are like slinkies....not really useful for anything, but you can't help but to smile when you see them tumbling down a flight of stairs.

#20 Bluewolf Pete

Bluewolf Pete

Multifunctional items are definitely favored

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 02:46 PM

Wow .... that's sweet!
If you want thujone, fuck off and go eat sage ~ Ron

"Let's louche these bitches up and party!" ~ Fingerpickinblue

Beware La Machine à décerveler! Oops, too late ...

#21 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,170 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 04:32 PM

I like those. The fact they are handcrafted makes me like them even more. The first attempt is neat because the glass looks thicker and the heft of the glass would be nice. The thing would go well with my single spigot fountain. How tall are they?

Please keep us posted.

Oh, thank your friend. Cheers!
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#22 Trid

Trid

Ooo Shiny!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 05:59 PM

I forgot to get measurements. We're supposed to get together on Sunday and he tells me he's got a couple more done. I can find out then...and take more photos.

I like the first attempt, too...the heft is something to behold. You can drop it on the floor repeatedly and the floor will be in worse shape. The biggest drawback to that one is that the foot is way too narrow. Purely by coincidence I dropped by his shop when he had just begun the prototype. It was pretty exciting seeing it take shape from a blob of glowing glass.
Some people are like slinkies....not really useful for anything, but you can't help but to smile when you see them tumbling down a flight of stairs.

#23 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,895 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 06:26 PM

That is very interesting!

#24 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,170 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 06:33 PM

Interesting? Heck, I want to watch it being done. Glass blowing has always fascinated me. Beautiful creation and they don't have to be perfect, just durable.
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#25 baubel

baubel

Hued-pottymouth

• 7,702 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 06:46 PM

The thing would go well with my single spigot fountain. How tall are they?

Gettin' taller every week. ;)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association