Sign in to follow this  
Misanthrope

Custom absinthiana glass blowing

A co-worker of mine knows a guy who does scientific glass blowing and art glass blowing. With the slowdown in demand for scientific glass blowing, he's been doing lots more art glass blowing; mainly making bongs (hey, whatever pays the bills).

Disclaimer: this is not an endorsement of illicit drug use nor is this to imply an association of absinthe with drug use.

Anyway, if you had access to an experienced glass blower, what sort of absinthiana would you have commissioned? Glasses with opalescent swirled pedestals? Fountains with green spouts that spiral around the water reservoir? Some examples of art glasses and goblets can be seen here. Of course one could replicate something that's already been done or is already available overseas but where's the fun and adventure in that? Besides, this guy's in the U.S.

So, share your ideas and maybe we can create something. :cheers:

I'd like a multi-tiered broullier, with an area for ice and water on top, then below, an area where you can put a sugar cube. There are examples of it in metal on Oxy's site, but I think a glass one, with a really fine, swirling funnel down to the cube area would be awesome. I'll sketch up what I mean and scan it.

Got any examples of your friend's work?

My co-worker knows him. I'll see about getting some pix.

A friend of mine asked me several weeks ago if I knew anybody who did any work with glass. He has some bottles of a liqueur that he would like to have converted into glasses, by cutting the tops off and buffing the rims. Think your coworker's acquaintance might be interested?

Baubel, I have a Boston Shaker glass that is actually a Starbucks Coffee Liqueur bottle that has been cut and ground to turn it into a large mixing glass. It's the workhorse of my home bar, and it looks cool to boot. I can only imagine how awesome it would be to have some other liqueur bottles as glasses like your friend is looking for.

I strongly second Brian "Shabba" Robinson's request. Let's see that art Brian!

So here's a quick and dirty sketch to give you an idea of what I'm talking about.

I envision three supporting stands, as opposed to the two I drew. I also think that, the bottom section, where the sugar would be placed could even be punched with extra holes to make it similar to a grille instead of just a hole. That might be hard with glass though.

The top section could also have some design on it, like wormwood leaves, or even the WS lettering, etc.

two_layer_broullier.jpg

Ooo, I like the dual-level glass broullier. I forwarded your sketch to Marty (co-worker's name). I have tomorrow off but I expect to have an update by Monday. By the way, Marty's also an absinthe enthusiast so he has a vested interest in some custom glass work.

Maybe a decanter made for louching with a brouille like spout designed for slow dripping. There is also a few antique glasses that could be used as inspiration (I.E. the mazegran). Maybe not on the glassblowing subject but I'd like to see a Steampunk mod absinthe fountain, back me up here Retro.

A glassblower friend of mine has taken upon himself to create an absinthe glass.

(all hand blown from a glob of glass...no mold or template)

Empty

A dose in the reservoir

Starting the louche

Fully louched

I forget which brand we used...I think it was La Muse, but I forget.

Oh, and also:

The previous attempt - Not as pretty, proportions are a bit wonky, but it got the ball rolling.

I like those. The fact they are handcrafted makes me like them even more. The first attempt is neat because the glass looks thicker and the heft of the glass would be nice. The thing would go well with my single spigot fountain. How tall are they?

Please keep us posted.

Oh, thank your friend. Cheers!

I forgot to get measurements. We're supposed to get together on Sunday and he tells me he's got a couple more done. I can find out then...and take more photos.

I like the first attempt, too...the heft is something to behold. You can drop it on the floor repeatedly and the floor will be in worse shape. The biggest drawback to that one is that the foot is way too narrow. Purely by coincidence I dropped by his shop when he had just begun the prototype. It was pretty exciting seeing it take shape from a blob of glowing glass.

Interesting? Heck, I want to watch it being done. Glass blowing has always fascinated me. Beautiful creation and they don't have to be perfect, just durable.