pt447

"Traditionally prepared absinthe"

The flame that burns twice as brightly burns half as long.

Especially given that most bartenders who do the flame also do what this guy did and add only enough water to douse the flame, and maybe even suggest, as this guy does, that you can shoot the resulting mess. I suppose some customers may even come back and show off to their friends and order another one to cause a stir at the bar, hoping the cute girl will run over.

Flaming Sambuca shots had their fifteen minutes of glory. But nobody goes into their neighborhood bar and orders a flaming Sambuca shot when they want a drink, and once everyone had seen them once or twice, nobody ever ordered them for the show again, either. Game over. What's the earning power of flaming Sambuca shots these days?

It's been a funny evolution in the thread, from "that's pathetic and shameful", to "those guys are smart as hell". Not that I disagree with the point being made. I just know that nobody will become an absinthe lover after a few burnt shots louched at 1:1, and I hope that when the show's over and flaming blue absinthe shooters have run their course and become passé, enough of a seed will have been planted to allow real absinthe to grow.

The whole showmanship thing reminds me of those damn fish flingers in the Pike Place Market in Seattle. It's amazing how much more business they do simply because they throw the stuff around...oh, the excitement. Nevermind that they occasionally miss the toss and have to throw away the fish. What a shameful waste.

I like the hideous monkfish-on-a string those guys inevitably have as well. But I buy MY halibut cheeks from the guys a ways down the hall.

I am also reminded of a metaphor I used to justify myself living in Montana, on the walk to work in one of the alleys I'd walk thru I noticed one bright colored poppy growing up out of a crack in the pavement. I thought of the fragile organism prevailing over the overwhelming odds and standing as a thing of beauty on it's own, and thought of myself as that poppy. After a particularly frustrating day of dealing with clueless rubes and dishing out yet another day's worth of mindless crap off the wall to pay my rent I walked by and looked at said poppy, and noticed that not two feet away, in the actual dirt, was a whole patch of said poppies, all much bigger and brighter than the one I was focussed on. Realizing that they were all probably from the same bunch of airborne seeds, I thought of the importance of placement. Shortly therafter I decided to move to Seattle.

These guys are growing out of the pavement, hoping to compensate by pouring neon blue Miracle-Gro™ into the cracks. We, on the other hand, are firmly rooted in the bosom of Mother Earth, destined to ultimately prevail until the day the whole planet is covered in bright colored beauty and dreamlike bliss. At least that's what I'm workin' for.

Yes, I've just had my coffee....be glad I didn't bring the Lilies of the Field into it... :laugh:

Or... we can accept that there will always be an (let's call it) absinth market, and another totally different market for absinthe. I'm not kidding here. Why can WE not accept that there was (long ago) a splitting off of 'this thing of ours' in the grand evolution of absinthe, with one branch taking a different turn?

Because, quite frankly, the folks lighting it and shooting it are so, so, SO far removed from what I drink and use in cocktails, that I haven't considered it the same thing in years.

Really, it isn't Marteau and Lucid and CLB I am seeing getting the flame. It's KOS, Absente, various randoms, and a lot of stuff that isn't even absinthe/absinth/absente... just anise liquors. Also, newer, better, hipper bars (than blasted OAH) are not, by and large, torching it. I've seen and ordered absinthe in probably 15 bars in the last couple of months, and only twice did the assumed prep involve a lighter. This is a good sign.

OAH, also, is on Bourbon Street, and near the party-epicenter. There is no class in that corner/district. There won't be. It's 4 doors or less in either direction to a strip club, and 8 from the 'Live Sex Show'. It doesn't have 'real' doors, and people tend to just trickle in and out. Maybe for its area on Bourbon/in the Quarter, it is one of the classier joints... it's still not.

Yes, I've just had my coffee....be glad I didn't bring the Lilies of the Field into it... :laugh:

Sidney Poitier and all the nuns send you a tunefully hearty Amen, bro! :cheers:

Sadly there's no real reason for me ever to go the NO now, ever! I'd rather go visit France where I can at least hope to find a nice little bistro and get a good glass of absinthe. It's a shame NO went from being the Paris of America to a total toilet...no offense to anyone who lives there, but the ambiance is gone!

Is your indictment of the city and its ambiance based on first-hand knowledge? How well do you know New Orleans? Have you ventured outside the French Quarter?

All the crassness of modern tourism has hurt the Quarter. But not even the Quarter is, as you put it, "a total toilet." As for ambiance, the combined ambiance of ninety-eight percent of America's cities couldn't equal one battered block on Esplanade Avenue.

Never -- not in all its 291-year existence -- has New Orleans ever been "The Paris Of America." New Orleans has always been New Orleans: a tough, humorous, "northernmost-post-of-the-Caribbean" port town. And an interesting place to visit, even if it can't pour a proper absinthe.

(NYC can't pour a proper absinthe either, but that's another thread.)

However unfortunate it may be, it's true. I had a similar experience in the Pirate's Cove. I'd ordered an absinthe made the correct way, and drank it without event. The bar was full, but no one even batted an eye. Another person ordered it, and it was prepared the way the bar normally did, by lighting it on fire. Within minutes, there were a dozen orders.

Sheep like sparkly things. Anyone ever seey Day of the dead where they send up fireworks to mesmerize the zombies?

And to respond to the post above--because I'm an idiot and still haven't figured out how to multi-quote:

Not first hand, but from a number of people who's opinion I trust. Pretty much that it's just a glorified bar scene with no ambiance left at all. Just a pimped out party town that draws people with the promise of boobs, beads, and burning shots of absinthe apparently!

We as a species have NOT evolved much beyond monkeys, so "Ohhh, shiny, pretty hot fire" still fascinates us.

:dribble: :no-czechs3: :dribble: ...Uh, I'm sorry, what were you saying...?

Just a pimped out party town that draws people with the promise of boobs, beads, and burning shots of absinthe apparently!

That's just plain bull. If they went during any time other than Mardi Gras and/or ventured off of Bourbon Street AT ALL, they wouldn't have that opinion.

Just a pimped out party town that draws people with the promise of boobs, beads, and burning shots of absinthe apparently!

That's just plain bull. If they went during any time other than Mardi Gras and/or ventured off of Bourbon Street AT ALL, they wouldn't have that opinion.

Hey, that's what I was told. I can't blame them for their opinions.

Brooks, I go to New Orleans about one weekend out of the month. I know the city very well. That is a wonderful description but alas only one place in New Orleans sells absinthe served in the traditional way. You just have to tell them you want it the traditional way if you do not they will automatically burn it to a crisp. :nono:

I've never been, but I think Brooks makes some good points. Most of downtown San Francisco is a total toliet, along with downtown Albuquerque.

Seriously though Brooks, good points.

We as a species have NOT evolved much beyond monkeys, so "Ohhh, shiny, pretty hot fire" still fascinates us.

:dribble: :no-czechs3: :dribble: ...Uh, I'm sorry, what were you saying...?

You heard me. (well, read me anyway...)

Get my context right though, friend. Unless you think I am honestly advocating burning absinthe. I think most folks here know I am not, ;)

No worries, mate! I just completely agree with your point about people in general being attracted to style over substance. Your post echoed my thoughts about the novelty of the "burning ritual". :arrr:

NO = hot.

I love the food, the atmosphere, the people, did I mention the food?

But until they can turn the heat and humidity down, I'll never be able to visit for more than a day or two. It's simply oppressive to me.

Tales should be in January.

It's too hot, Joe. I agree with you! "Tales" in January would be great.

Not first hand, but from a number of people who's opinion I trust. Pretty much that it's just a glorified bar scene with no ambiance left at all.

It's too bad your friends never left the French Quarter. If they'd done a little homework before their trip, they might have had a more interesting time. Remember that before you go to Paris.

alas only one place in New Orleans sells absinthe served in the traditional way.

Where? I'm relieved to hear that anyone is doing it properly. Pravda used to have its act together, but finally caved to the frats.

I've never been, but I think Brooks makes some good points. Most of downtown San Francisco is a total toilet, along with downtown Albuquerque.

I don't know that I have a point, Baub, other than it pays to get off the beaten path. There's more to great cities than Times Square, the French Quarter, Covent Garden, or Fisherman's Wharf.

While the old bar and fountains are back at the location, The Old Absinthe House hasn't been the Old Absinthe House for many, many, years.

I'd rather go see this:

DrinkLegendreHerbsaint.jpg

I've never been, but I think Brooks makes some good points. Most of downtown San Francisco is a total toilet, along with downtown Albuquerque.

I don't know that I have a point, Baub, other than it pays to get off the beaten path.

As a "townie" in a tourist town, I couldn't have said it better.

And I'd love an NO event in January! It's nice down south then. (Spoken like a true Yankee?!)

Like I said, it was their opinions, and I don't know how much research they did. I, on the other hand, plan to to loads of research if/when I go somewhere really big, like say, Paris or Spain. Maybe they just had a crappy time because they only went to the crappy parts and never ventured out or asked around. I'll reserve my official judgment when/if I go. Except for the whole absinthe thing; that seems pretty much agreed upon by all!

Now, some sort of official absinthe gathering would be a tempting lure... That's why I keep an eye on that respective section of the forum!

Now, some sort of official absinthe gathering would be a tempting lure... That's why I keep an eye on that respective section of the forum!

You mean like the Grande Soiree d'Absinthe?

Oh, and if you ever go to Spain, make sure to PM me. :paperbag3:

If I go, I will do. As for the soiree... I'm hoping for something in NY at some point. I'll definitely be going to the next DUNY event, that's for sure!

I'd rather go see this:

Herbsaint.jpg . .Impy, that's so cool. Where is the building, and can you get access to the roof?

And I'd love an NO event in January! It's nice down south then. (Spoken like a true Yankee?!)

Much mo' betta, and a late January event would soften the post-holiday letdown.

I, on the other hand, plan to to loads of research if/when I go somewhere really big, like say, Paris or Spain.

It's not that touristy stuff isn't worth doing and seeing — some of it definitely is — but it's hard to catch the vibe of a place if you don't pull out of the tourist vortex and explore neighborhoods where people lead ordinary lives.

It's not that touristy stuff isn't worth doing and seeing — some of it definitely is — but it's hard to catch the vibe of a place if you don't pull out of the tourist vortex and explore neighborhoods where people lead ordinary lives.

I spend so much time lost in new towns that we actually get to see different stuff besides the touristy spots. Some of our neatest finds were while we were off the beaten track.

I agree Brooks. Cheers!

I particularly dislike touristy places. It’s much more fun to make your own way with the local things (IMO). Brooks, good to see ya friend :)