pt447

"Traditionally prepared absinthe"

It would be hysterical if it weren't so sad.

My faves, besides the obvious pyrotechnics ....

"a couple of CRAZY drinks"

what looks like a 1:1 ratio of water to absinthe

"you can slam'em or sip'em"

and best of all, it sounds like he's saying "assbinthe" (at the beginning, when they focus on the sign).

:shock:

I didn't even watch it. Yep, they've been doing fire for years—ever since they started serving Absente ten years ago.

The Old Absinthe House is just a sports bar now and the current management doesn't really care about absinthe. They've been told many times by many people.

Sad.

What a bunch of [vulgarity removed by admin].

Now the absinthe here is a 110 proof

Absente? What absinthe that scumbag is talking about when he uses NONE?

Sambuca? Yeah, sort of. It is of the same family

Jeez! One has to be incurably retarded to think sambuca and absinthe are at all alike.

Edited by GStone

I think the spritzing of water was the classiest touch for me. Sadly there's no real reason for me ever to go the NO now, ever! I'd rather go visit France where I can at least hope to find a nice little bistro and get a good glass of absinthe. It's a shame NO went from being the Paris of America to a total toilet... no offense to anyone who lives there, but the ambiance is gone!

I've never been to NO, but I've always wanted to. Still do, but what a shame the Old ABSINTHE House (which would be my #1 stop) seems to no longer have a clue... :thumbdown: Lame.

Guys, there's a little event happening in NO this summer that more than makes up for the Old Absente House. I've yet to go, but that's when I'd plan a visit.

<sigh> I could watch no more when he poured absinthe over the cube and ignited it.

To each his own. Bless their hearts.

The bartender should have been tazered and lit on fire.

I know, I'm being generous again. :thumbdown:

<sigh> I could watch no more when he poured absinthe over the cube and ignited it.

To each his own. Bless their hearts.

The bartender should have been tazered and lit on fire.

I know, I'm being generous again. :thumbdown:

Seriously, watch the rest... it's worth it simply for the hilarity! That's right, it's so pathetic and sad I had to laugh... and immediately louche up a glass of VP with a slow drip and... oh damn, no fire!

Watching what little of it I saw resembled a car crash. No thank you. I'll louche a glass of absinthe but I can't watch ugliness.

That kind of crap makes me uncomfortable. I come here to relax not recoil in embarrassment.

I know you did it for education and that's appreciated.

I'll apologize for my spelling, grammar and attitude. The day was unpleasant enough with out seeing that.

My apologies. :wave2:

I clicked it but after reading the responses, why bother?

I had a personal little flame war with an OAH (Old Absinthe House) person a year or so ago. His name is long forgotten. He called me an elitist. I called him a stupid fuckwad. I wanted to be sure he understood my sentiments. His position boiled down to cash. Lots of cash. He was happy to leave the romantics and history to WS while he ran (worked at?) a business. Very pragmatic and paying your bills is hard to argue with.

Eventually, we struck a common ground. I understood his need to eat and pay bills. He seemed to appreciate my deeper compassion for the beverage. Ultimately, it wouldn't have mattered to him whether they were the Old Absinthe House or the Olde Tequila Shots House. Bidness iz bidness. I understand. I'd be pissed if someone told me how to direct a play or design lights.

Well, seeing this video pretty much cemented my position in my other thread about what sort of absinthe establishment I would ever run! I saw the video and immediately wanted to strangle those people!

I can certainly understand the desire to make a decent living. It's just unfortunate that such a historically significant establishment in such a historically significant city (sorry for the redundancy) doesn't make a greater effort toward authenticity. (Whew-that made me thirsty!)

I've met Vin, that friggin' bartender, many, many times now.

I have tried.

and fucking tried.

and he keeps spewing that drivel and nonsense, EVERY dang time. I just wanna choke the SOB some days.

As Hiram pointed out (and he is dead-on) they have zero interest. They don't care. They will not change. They are a dressed up daiquiri bar, on Bourbon St... period.

One problem I have every year at Tales is when I hang with a lot of the international bar/mixology crew. They LOVE that place for an afterbar (typically after Shaker Boys party gets shut down), and usually mingle there... before wandering onward and outward. I just feel guilty giving that place money.

:poop:

But I bet Joe's poetic intercourse with the nameless one would have been a bucket of laughs to read/see/hear/experience.

It means more to us than it does almost anyone in NOLA. To them it's just a historic landmark, and historic landmarks are usually dead once-upon-a-time places, not living history. They're only fit for selling snow-globes, postcards and shot glasses.

What a bunch of [vulgarity removed by admin].
Now the absinthe here is a 110 proof

Absente? What absinthe that scumbag is talking about when he uses NONE?

Sambuca? Yeah, sort of. It is of the same family

Jeez! One has to be incurably retarded to think sambuca and absinthe are at all alike.

The "c" word is inexcusable Bogumil. I share the sentiment, but ditch the abuse.

... Sadly there's no real reason for me ever to go the NO now, ever! I'd rather go visit France where I can at least hope to find a nice little bistro and get a good glass of absinthe. It's a shame NO went from being the Paris of America to a total toilet... no offense to anyone who lives there, but the ambiance is gone!

Trust me, the old quarter ambiance is alive and sweaty, gritty, nasty and smelly, just like it always was. There are still whores and dive bars and drunkards and poor people on Bourbon Street, and worse on the less-traveled streets. They just forgot how to fix our drink.

And the French don't know anything about absinthe anymore either.

The "c" word is inexcusable...

Got here late, I'm assuming the word was "czechsinthe"?

Bidness iz bidness. I understand. I'd be pissed if someone told me how to direct a play or design lights.

Yeah, but you have passion for those arts. This guy, as you point out, doesn't give a damn about what he's doing. With an exciting new generation of inspired, dedicated bartenders giving their hearts to their careers, it's a real shame that this kind of drone gets to keep his job at such a landmark bar. Especially in this economy.

The "c" word is inexcusable Bogumil. I share the sentiment, but ditch the abuse.

I agree completely. Cantaloupes deserve the respect they've earned. :twitchsmile:

And the French don't know anything about absinthe anymore either.

Why oh why? Has everyone lost their way? Is their no bastion of absinthe reality left except on cyberspace???

Welcome to the bastion. :cheers:

Yeah, but you have passion for those arts. This guy, as you point out, doesn't give a damn about what he's doing. With an exciting new generation of inspired, dedicated bartenders giving their hearts to their careers, it's a real shame that this kind of drone gets to keep his job at such a landmark bar. Especially in this economy.

I agree with you whole-heartedly. His interest was the money only. For many of us, whether theatre or mixology, the passion is as much about the process as the product. But this cad was like our czechsinth producers: screw the process and the product as long as the end result is cash. No passion at all.

You can't argue with that logic. No matter how reasoned or impassioned your attempts to sway them, all they will ever see is the $$$$ in the bank. Nothing else matters to them. From the reports on the Old Absinthe House ownership, I bet this guy is a great employee. Sad.

However unfortunate it may be, it's true. I had a similar experience in the Pirate's Cove. I'd ordered an absinthe made the correct way, and drank it without event. The bar was full, but no one even batted an eye. Another person ordered it, and it was prepared the way the bar normally did, by lighting it on fire. Within minutes, there were a dozen orders.

People are so easily amused, and I suppose some actually think of flambe deserts, and assume that flaming will actually improve the flavor of the drink by caramelizing it. :rolleyes:

The whole showmanship thing reminds me of those damn fish flingers in the Pike Place Market in Seattle. It's amazing how much more business they do simply because they throw the stuff around...oh, the excitement. Nevermind that they occasionally miss the toss and have to throw away the fish. What a shameful waste.

With an exciting new generation of inspired, dedicated bartenders giving their hearts to their careers, it's a real shame that this kind of drone gets to keep his job at such a landmark bar. Especially in this economy.

Your last line is important here though. While there are fabulous, dedicated bartenders out there, they are employed by an owner who (even if he is well-intentioned and educated)... needs to keep the doors open- 'in this down economy'.

Shabba's story highlights we will see this a lot. It is true, and it is completely understandable. We as a species have NOT evolved much beyond monkeys, so "Ohhh, shiny, pretty hot fire" still fascinates us.

Order absinthe done right, and most of the time, only the person within earshot will (perhaps) pay notice.

Order them to set it ablaze, and the cute girl 6 tables away comes running over.

I found that absinthe served with a fountain to prepare it got peoples attention. It might not draw people in as much as fire, but it still got people curious.

In the end, those bars that "only care about the money" also care about one other thing, giving the customer what they want. Keep the customer happy and you'll make more money. If the majority of people viewed setting absinthe on fire as the cheap party trick that it is, then the Old Absinthe House would stop doing it.