#1 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,727 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 06:11 PM

All,

I have been increasingly asked to provide high quality pictures of absinthe themes to go along with interviews of the WS. I thought, what better way to get what I need than to ask all of you photogs out there!

So, here's what I need:

a) pictures similar to the main site's section on how to prepare absinthe, in progression. They wanted to use what we already have, but they were taken ages ago and the high quality versions aren't able to be found

b ) pictures of cocktails made with absinthe. I ran into an issue with that today.

c) absinthe being served/prepared in bars. For example, here's an email I got today:

We want it to be clear that it's absinthe. And I'm thinking right now that the only way to really get that across (besides it being green) would be with the use of the spoon and sugar cube on top. Maybe a really well lit shot of a bartender pouring the drink?

However, I'd also like to see some of the bar, so not a close-up, a 3 quarter shot, I think would be best. (And since I'm being wishful: I think a hero shot would be good for this... So a low-angle shot. I like photos that give bartendersan air of authority)

Or: Not really into people being staged for a photo all smiling. So if group shots are going to be presented, I'd like them to be candid, or seemingly so. And of course, they should be drinking absinthe. And if there are any other cultural aspects that I'm missing that are indicative of drinking absinthe, I'd like to see that too!

We would need these photos by March 25th.

Thanks so much!

So, anyone who wants to throw some shots together, or who already has shots similar to this, please email them to me (with information on how you want to be credited). Shabba53 at hotmail.

I know Danny had some great shots of when he was in Manhattan, so make sure he knows about this too.
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#2 Wild Bill Turkey

Wild Bill Turkey

Exigez le mot Turkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 06:43 PM

Posted Image

Our own ejellest serving Marteau at the Alembic bar in San Francisco (see the small alembic behind him?) I told him I was going to post this on the forum, but never got around to it. PM for links to high-res versions and obviously you'll have to PM him to see if he wants it to be reproduced elsewhere.

(BTW, that's a Fourth Degree cocktail in the foreground, a 3-equal-parts Perfect Martini with 4(!!) dashes of absinthe)
"I'm always amused when a member incorporates a quote from another member into their signature." - fpb

#3 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,170 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 06:59 PM

Nice pic! Looks like it's just about what the guy asked for. Made me thirsty for the drinks he was preparing. Thank you!

Cheers!
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#4 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,217 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 07:07 PM

My camera got repo'd when our cute li'l housemate moved out and took her DSLR with her. :angry2:

We want it to be clear that it's absinthe. And I'm thinking right now that the only way to really get that across (besides it being green) would be with the use of the spoon and sugar cube on top.

Why tell people what they already know? The media has been literally calling the shots on presentation all along, and consequently there are a disproportionate number of images out there with undiluted absinthe in them, which can send the wrong message. I'd like to see more shots of fully-louched absinthe to show folks what it's supposed to look like when you're drinking it.

Dang, that Marteau looks like whiskey.

Maker of Marteau Absinthe
Master Distiller, Gnostalgic Spirits Distillery
www.absinthemarteau.com
Confessions of an Absinthiste

#5 Marlow

Marlow

Aeronaut

• Silver Member
  • 888 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 08:04 PM

Agreed. The most important image to publicize is water being added to absinthe.

Marteau looks like fine, btw.
Annihilating all that's made
To a green thought in a green shade.

#6 Jonathan D.

Jonathan D.

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 09:45 PM

Here's a pic of Arsenic & Old Lace, but it's not a step by step, is that what you were asking for?

Posted Image

#7 baubel

baubel

Hued-pottymouth

• 7,702 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 10:22 PM

Agreed. The most important image to publicize is water being added to absinthe.

Paging OMG_Bill and Silent for action shots...

;) ;) ;)

I'll be sending you some photos soon, Brian.

A little technological fix to a spiritual problem.

#8 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,170 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 04:58 AM

I thought about the camera last night while louching the Pacifique with an Ice Blue single spigot fountain into a Simon Pearce East glass. It made me smile, twice!

<---------- name dropping fishman. *wink*
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#9 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,727 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 05:00 AM

Here's a pic of Arsenic & Old Lace, but it's not a step by step, is that what you were asking for?

That's a perfect shot. The only one we need step by step for is the traditional drip, shown in this progression of images.

And to save bandwidth, please email me the pics as opposed to posting them here.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#10 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,727 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 05:03 AM

Our own ejellest serving Marteau

Great stuff!

I agree with Hiram on the prepped glass. Maybe if we could find a shot of a bartender who is in the middle of shutting off the fountain after the glass has been fully louched, but before they take the spoon off of the glass.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#11 scuto

scuto

Taste sensation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 08:04 AM

That's mighty good-lookin'! Purple = yum.
"The Saint when he is drinking/Is also pleasing God/As if he were praying and singing." - Angelus Silesius, quoted in Simmel's On Individuality and Social Forms, p.391. (Yay for classical sociology!)

"Full bottle in front of me/Time to roll up my sleeves and get to work/And after many glasses of work/I get paid in the brain" - They Might Be Giants "Your Own Worst Enemy."

"I've an absinthe factory in my head" (jcbphd, 2009). [Liberties taken. -ed.]

#12 Wild Bill Turkey

Wild Bill Turkey

Exigez le mot Turkey

• 2,019 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 02:48 PM

Maybe if we could find a shot of a bartender who is in the middle of shutting off the fountain after the glass has been fully louched, but before they take the spoon off of the glass.

Good luck with that. If you know a place where the bartender serves absinthe with a fountain and does the traditional drip w/spoon himself, then you should take the photo. I've been to a lot of bars that serve absinthe now, here and in Europe, including a couple called "Absinthe" that have fountains everywhere as decoration, and I've never yet seen a bartender use a fountain to do a drip.
"I'm always amused when a member incorporates a quote from another member into their signature." - fpb

#13 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,727 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 03:59 PM

I've been to at least half a dozen in DC that do it. During slow times, of course.

I'll try to get to one of them next week and get a shot or three. If anything, someone can go in at an off time and ask to set up the pic like that. Tell them it's for an article and that the bar and tender would be mentioned. I'm sure they'd be happy to oblige.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#14 Wild Bill Turkey

Wild Bill Turkey

Exigez le mot Turkey

• 2,019 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 07:12 PM

Good point. Tell a bartender that it's for publicity and they'll put a meatball in a Martini.

But are you telling me that you've been to a half a dozen bars in DC where if a normal customer orders a glass of absinthe, the bartender puts the glass under a fountain to drip? That's almost worth flying to DC to witness!

#15 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,727 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 07:18 PM

Yup! During peak hours, that's not the case, but I've witnessed it in a bunch of places. It brought a tear to my eye. :thumbup:

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#16 Phoenix

Phoenix

Advansed Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 08:29 PM

The Apothecary in Philly does that. Even when it got busy the fountain was going around. So I'm wondering, in those DC bars, what do they do when it's busy?
"He's a politician. It's like being a hooker. You can't be one unless you can pretend to like people while you're f***ing them."

#17 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,727 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 05:46 AM

Cold water from a carafe.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#18 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,727 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 08:00 AM

Ba bump bump.

Anything you guys might get, please send em. Especially an absinthe prep pic, like in the email I posted.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#19 Jonathan D.

Jonathan D.

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 06:53 PM

You want progression, I give you progression!!!

Posted Image

High res slides of each step can be found here:

http://kissarmy.50me...sinthe/Marteau/

#20 scuto

scuto

Taste sensation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 09:44 PM

I really like that .gif, Jonathan! Nice work.
"The Saint when he is drinking/Is also pleasing God/As if he were praying and singing." - Angelus Silesius, quoted in Simmel's On Individuality and Social Forms, p.391. (Yay for classical sociology!)

"Full bottle in front of me/Time to roll up my sleeves and get to work/And after many glasses of work/I get paid in the brain" - They Might Be Giants "Your Own Worst Enemy."

"I've an absinthe factory in my head" (jcbphd, 2009). [Liberties taken. -ed.]

#21 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,727 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 04:43 AM

Very nice! However, the progression I'm talking about is basically the exact same thing as what is here. We'd use what's already there, but the high res versions of the pics can't be found.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#22 Jonathan D.

Jonathan D.

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 06:02 AM

Well the .gif is just a lark, the real shots are in the link above. So you need additional shots of just the sugar pile, just the glasses, the water being poured from a carafe instead of just shots displaying the results of a drip?

#23 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,727 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 07:47 AM

So you need additional shots of just the sugar pile, just the glasses, the water being poured from a carafe instead of just shots displaying the results of a drip?

Yup.

Thank ye!

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#24 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,727 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 03:06 PM

One last bump for the bartender pics. Her deadline is the 25th, so I'd like to get anything you have to her by Monday.

See my first post in this thread for an explanation of what she's looking for.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#25 Jonathan D.

Jonathan D.

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 06:44 PM

I don't know if I have a carafe that's not packed away, will a small pitcher with icewater do?

#26 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,727 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 06:57 PM

Most definitely.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#27 Jonathan D.

Jonathan D.

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 09:49 AM

See if these will work:

http://kissarmy.50me...au/Progression/

Some of the shots are duplicate from slightly different angle. I'm far from being a good photographer and my camera is not fantastic, so I apologize the quality is probably not ideal, but hopefully they are worth something.

#28 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,727 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 11:41 AM

Need a password to access.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#29 Jonathan D.

Jonathan D.

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 12:52 PM

Woops, wrong link, sorry. Here:

http://kissarmy.50me...au/Progression/

#30 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,727 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 09:23 AM

Bump.

Today is the deadline for any of the bartender photos. Please send them ASAP if you have any you want considered for publication in Concierge Magazine (a companion to Conde Nast Traveller).

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association