• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 tayker

tayker

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 06:13 PM

When I started drinking absinthe I used a sugar cube. After that it was half the time sugar, the other half no cube. Then there was a while where I didn't use a cube at all. I don't remember why but I went back to using a cube.

After a year of drinking absinthe with a sugar cube I decided today to go naked and not use a cube for a glass of Obsello and Lucid. I've learned many things from this experience: 1. don't drink Lucid after Obsello because the oils in Obsello cling to the tongue which gives Lucid a more medicinal taste, 2. if I couldn't taste the bitter wormwood before I sure can now, 3. absinthe now seems to be more refreshing to me when poured with a sugar cube than without, and 4. I won't go into the dark closet of nakedness unless I have a sweet guide to hold my hand.

I can see why some people prefer no sugar because I can get more of a feel for the absinthe texture and finish. For me, however, sugar tames those and opens up the other nuances that I would miss without sugar. This isn't a sugar vs no sugar post, just commentary about how drastic of an eye opener it was for me.

I don't know if anyone has had any "kick to the groin" difference experience like this with absinthe, or if it was a gradual experience.
When a person who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, they will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest.

#2 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Founder

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,386 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 06:23 PM

My only kick to the groin is when I try to drink absinthe without sugar, and I do try periodically.

Maker of Marteau Absinthe and Foxtrot London Dry Gin

Please don't forget to sign up for our newsletter, and consider a subscription donation.
Every bit helps the further development of the site and future events.

#3 pt447

pt447

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 07:35 PM

I'm rapidly discovering that, at least for me, some absinthes require sugar and some don't. Although, there are always exceptions to the rule that go off the path. It's almost a mood thing, but for some, say, Maitresse, a specific preparation is necessary where with, say, obsello, it all depends on my mood.

#4 fingerpickinblue

fingerpickinblue

Hallucinations Sold Separately

• Content Team
  • 3,697 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 07:46 PM

4. I won't go into the dark closet of nakedness unless I have a sweet guide to hold my hand.

Sounds like a "walk out" closet, to me! :dry:
blind man see her, dumb man call her name - Ed Bell

#5 Neorebel

Neorebel

• PipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 08:11 PM

I think it depends on a person's palate (genetics?) as far as sweet vs bitter preference. I've always liked more bitter things - I love my wormwood & hops... that being said also completely agree with pt447... I don't have a 'set in stone' sugaring policy - some absinthe is great and has a different appeal either way, and others definitely either need it or don't. To get back on the topic at hand, the biggest kick in the groin I've ever had was was with Lemercier Amer 72. It was amongst my first distilled absinthe, and since I was a connoisseur now, I couldn't possibly use sugar like a noob! If any absinthe ever needed sugar, it's that one! I think they add essence of wormwood to it post-distillation... I remember it tasting really burnt...

#6 Absinthe Ben

Absinthe Ben

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 09:22 PM

This isn't a sugar vs no sugar post

If I weren't holding my tongue right now, it would quickly become one! :fork:
At least it's not Le Tourment Vert...

15 minutes of reading could save you $50 or more on shit absinthe:

www.absinthe-review.net

#7 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 17,154 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 09:30 PM

For me, however, sugar tames those and opens up the other nuances that I would miss without sugar.

My feelings, exactly.

I don't know if anyone has had any "kick to the groin"

Not unless Jules is wearing heels and black leather and even then, it still doesn't rate high on my list. That's just me, though. You should do what makes you happy.

#8 Ken Hallenius

Ken Hallenius

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 11:47 PM

Joe,

We're gonna need to work out some sort of understanding about spouses named Jules... Every now and then, I do a double-take when I see my own Joolz' name in print, until I realize that it's your Jules that you're referring to!

But seriously, folks, I still am not out of the "pretty much every absinthe needs sugar" phase, and I've been drinking it for 4 years now. I'm on the genetics side of the fence...
"If you've never said anything that can be held over your head on the internet, you've never been on the internet." - Peridot

http://blog.hallenius.org

#9 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,254 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 05:22 AM

As for sugar making absinthe a night and day experence, I agree. That is one subject I think it's ok to be a waffler. Some just need sugar, IMO and others are already sweet to me.

It all depends on the individual. Thank goodness there aren't any sugar police. *smile*

Cheers!
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#10 tayker

tayker

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 05:32 AM

Hmmm, looks like I'll have to go through my current collection and see what the others are like without sugar.

I don't remember what Clandestine was like without sugar, but for some reason I think it would be the only one that could go either way. I have a Marteau on the way, so I won't know until next week what that experience will be like.

Sidenote: I hate sweet tea. I consider Snapple, Sobe, Arizona, etc. as soft drinks so those don't count, IMO. So I'm reluctant to try honey and other ingredients with my loose leaf tea. :twitchsmile:
When a person who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, they will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest.

#11 AiO

AiO

Movie Freak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 06:36 AM

Interesting thread; this has been on my mind lately too.

I grew up in the South, so sweet tea is the only kind of tea I drink (even though I've lived in the barbaric wilds of the mid-Atlantic for years now ;) ) and I like sugar in pretty much everything.

Until recently, however, I never sugared my absinthe. I discovered early on that the herbs used in absinthe (especially anise, fennel, and hyssop) made it sweet enough for me. When I added sugar to the first few glasses I tried, it ruined the delicate balance of those herbs and rendered the drink (to me) sickeningly saccharine. Ever since, I have taken my absinthe sans sucre.

That said, I recently had one those "kick to the groin" experiences that tayker describes. A few weeks ago, on a whim, I decided to sugar a glass of Edouard--just a little cube. The result, I have to admit, was absolutely delicious. In fact, I've repeated the experiment since and I have to say that I now prefer Eddy with a little sugar. Somehow it not only complements, but "completes" this absinthe.

This, of course, led to further experimentation. I have to say that I still prefer most brands of absinthe without sugar--some, in my opinion, are absolutely ruined by it: PF 1901, Vieux Carre, Leopold, and Clandestine among them. But I've certainly modified my beliefs about sugar and absinthe, and will now make it a point to try each brand I acquire both ways, regardless of predisposition. Next up: Belle Amie 2. I have a feeling it might benefit from it...
"Life is a tragedy when seen in close-up, but a comedy in long-shot" -- Charlie Chaplin

#12 Rhonda Weins

Rhonda Weins

• PipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 05:23 PM

Usually when I try a new brand, I try it w/o sugar, then add a bit of simple syrup if it needs sweetener, and use sugar for that brand afterwards.

#13 Green Baron

Green Baron

Advanced Decomposition

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 09:54 PM

Not really a roe sham boe situation for me here, but I was a recreational sugar user until I tried L'Italienne at the end of this last summer, and it broke me of the habit almost completely. These days, every once in a while, I'll use sugar depending on my mood and the absinthe, but I use about 1/8 to 1/4 of a standard cube. I think it's good to check out every brand with some sugar to see how it changes. I love the ritual, so I never use simple syrup if I have an excuse to utilize one of my spoons.

A couple week ago, I visited the Liberty for the first time and had a Marteau with a full sugar cube, and I was surprised at how well it held up for me (to me, many brands can taste cloying and muted with that much sugar). I was very impressed by the unpretentious absinthusiasm that Mychal and Andrew expressed.
This post has been edited over and over again by Green Baron

Chasing the green fairy in my triplane!

"A decorous absinthe will persuade your whisper away with its hooch essence..."

#14 Absinthe Ben

Absinthe Ben

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 10:26 PM

I don't remember what Clandestine was like without sugar

Better.

I am the sugar police, arresting all those in possession of the white stuff! :police:

...-you there, fish man! That doesn't look like bran flakes on that spoon!

:laugh:

www.absinthe-review.net

#15 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,254 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 04:52 AM

I keep my sugar cubes in a box, in a bag and in the oven. Nobody looks there!

Simple syrup is in the fridge but rarely used by me. Both items are mostly for company. If I feel like sugar may be warranted, I may just add a bit of water to cut the drink. There are few good absinthes that require sugar. JMO

I like the ritual thing but sometimes a gritless louche is more soothing than one that looks like sand is falling through the drink.

I was raised on sweet tea and can barely stomach sweet drinks now. Firefly is an exception but I don't drink it unless we have company. A sticky drink causes me distress. Liqueurs are things I want to warm up to and it'll take time.

When it comes to wine, I like it so dry that if it spills, and it will, it just turns to dust and drifts away without a trace. Removing a glass from the table the morning after shouldn't require two hands.

So, I use sugar sparingly but I will use it to prove a point.

I can go on and on but sheesh, this was plenty for one day.

Cheers!

Oh, I dearly love chocolate though, dark 72% or higher/darker for me. *smile*
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#16 tayker

tayker

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 06:14 AM

I like Young's Double Chocolate Stout.

#17 pt447

pt447

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 08:09 AM

Young's is great!

#18 precenphix

precenphix

Dreamer / Noise-maker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 08:22 AM

I seldom use sugar. For me, it distracts the tongue from the subtle nuances of the drink itself. All I taste is the sugar when I use it. In fact, the only time I'll use sugar any more is when I'm drinking an absinthe I don't particularly care for.

It just ruins it for me.

But, when using sugar, there have been times that it completely changes the absinthe altogether. I honestly can't stand Montmartre or Helfrich. But sugar almost makes these palatable. I'm pretty sure I've made no bones about my dislike for VdF, but sugar makes this one pretty good. The aftertaste is still god-awful, but sugar cleans up the funk while drinking it.

Good thread, tayker!
Those with knowledge easily sense the truth of things. Those with egos built up on rumor and fancy, tend to maintain a hard line. - Tatan (Evan Camomile)

#19 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 20,283 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 10:03 AM

Young's is great!

I'm fond of it , too, but Tish is nuts about it.

Along with Ommegang Rouge, it's probably her favorite beer.

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#20 Meatwaggon

Meatwaggon

• PipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 02:34 PM

I sugar every drink. Sometimes I even use two tablets. There is nothing noob or unmanly about it.
"A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice Helfrich verte" - Anthony Hopkinns
"Leave the gun. Take the Rossoni" - Peter Clemenzza
"Give me wormwood, or give me death!" - Patrick Henrry
"I find your lack of louche....disturbing" - James Earl Jjones
"No maceration without distillation!" - Reverend Jonathan Mayhhew
"It is by absinthe alone I set my mind in motion" - Frank Herrbert

#21 scuto

scuto

Taste sensation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 07:19 PM

I'm a sugarer most of the time. I'll occasionally try the open brand(s) I have without sugar to see how my palate is developing (or not). Or I'll not sugar sometimes to see if I can pick something out, but it's not as pleasant a drinking experience.
"The Saint when he is drinking/Is also pleasing God/As if he were praying and singing." - Angelus Silesius, quoted in Simmel's On Individuality and Social Forms, p.391. (Yay for classical sociology!)

"Full bottle in front of me/Time to roll up my sleeves and get to work/And after many glasses of work/I get paid in the brain" - They Might Be Giants "Your Own Worst Enemy."

"I've an absinthe factory in my head" (jcbphd, 2009). [Liberties taken. -ed.]

#22 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,254 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 07:34 PM

I agree to a point. Sugared absinthe has a character all it's own

Sugar will open up some of the finer things I reckon.

Like I've said several times, I've had pre-ban with and with out sugar. They are entirely different drinks and both very much appreciated.

It's ok to waffle on the sugar issue. I prefer mine without but won't hesitate to add if I think it will enhance the experience.

As Mr. Waggon pointed out "There is nothing noob or unmanly about it."

#23 scuto

scuto

Taste sensation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 08:30 PM

Oh, most definitely! I was just sharing my own M.O. In fact, I'm kind of a jerk in that I could care less about the justifications not specific to absinthe for why one person may or may not sugar*--do what you like to do, and if that changes, that's fine. Generalized statements about taste are faulty at best. Balancing this sort-of relativism is a tendency for people to agree on which absinthes are good, though the manner of drinking them, whether sugared or amount of water, varies.

I roll my eyes at those who chalk up non-sugaring to an outdated notion of masculinity--but only on this specific issue, mind.

I may be feeling uppity, which is odd because my mood right now is quite pleasant!
"The Saint when he is drinking/Is also pleasing God/As if he were praying and singing." - Angelus Silesius, quoted in Simmel's On Individuality and Social Forms, p.391. (Yay for classical sociology!)

"Full bottle in front of me/Time to roll up my sleeves and get to work/And after many glasses of work/I get paid in the brain" - They Might Be Giants "Your Own Worst Enemy."

#24 Absinthe Ben

Absinthe Ben

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 10:50 PM

Oh my, look what I've begun. :fork: I like to harass the sugarers (yep, that's what I'm calling them!), but at the end of the day, you may as well have the best absinthe experience for yourself-drink it how you enjoy it! :)

I honestly can't stand Montmartre or Helfrich. But sugar almost makes these palatable. I'm pretty sure I've made no bones about my dislike for VdF, but sugar makes this one pretty good. The aftertaste is still god-awful, but sugar cleans up the funk while drinking it.

If you dislike Montmartre and VdF, you'll also want to avoid La Charlotte and BdF, respectively! Just a heads-up, mate!

EDIT: worded it a little differently so it doesn't sound like I'm comparing everything together! See my later post on page 2 for an elaboration...

www.absinthe-review.net

#25 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 17,154 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 04:30 AM

It's hard to say.
I don't like Montmartre but enjoy Helfrich and BdF. I haven't tried La Charlotte, yet. Individual tastes are so...individual. I feel like a second stepchild for not liking Belle Amie but there's something there that just doesn't work for me. Sugar or not doesn't change whether I like 'em or not, either.

Still, with all the different, quality absinthe I've tried, it's nice to say there are only two I'd turn down.

#26 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 20,283 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 07:40 AM

I haven't tried the La Charlotte, but I don't get much of a connection between the Montmartre and the BDF.

Different palate interpretations (than with most other alcoholic beverages are definitely a part of what makes absinthe tasting so enjoyable. :cheers:

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#27 tayker

tayker

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 08:11 AM

I tried the Duplais I purchased from DUNY without sugar. I'll say it's better than the Obsello and Lucid, but I still prefer the cube. I think I'm going to borrow the idea from whoever mentioned it earlier and start my first glass from a newly acquired bottle without a cube.

#28 scuto

scuto

Taste sensation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 08:15 AM

Oh my, look what I've begun. :fork:

No, dear sir: it is I who should apologize. I've learned some things about myself today:::

1. Try really really really hard not to post while intoxicated. Others may be able to do so, though like with absinthe, there is a newb -> absintheur spectrum which involves PFTAing.

2. Soapboxing is unbecoming of an upstanding citizen. Falling over, even less so! :twitchsmile:

3. If it takes longer than ten minutes to compose a post, and your guts are telling you to can it, best to hit the back button.

4. Lighten up, kiddo!

This message brought to you by the letter Q, vasopressin, and Kevin Phillips Bong, the Slightly Silly candidate.

:cheers:

#29 precenphix

precenphix

Dreamer / Noise-maker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 08:25 AM

Intoxicated posting? Here?! You should be ashamed of yourself.

:shifty:
Those with knowledge easily sense the truth of things. Those with egos built up on rumor and fancy, tend to maintain a hard line. - Tatan (Evan Camomile)

#30 scuto

scuto

Taste sensation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 08:43 AM

I know! I feel so out of place. :blush:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2017 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association