Auguru

Absinthe alambic on ebay

Anybody taken a gander at this?

eBay 19th Century Alambic

If link doesn't work, try searching for this item# on the eBay page: 4405616217

Supposed to be authentic (looks like it to my uneducated eye).

I'm guessing the reserve is mighty high on this item (but probably deservedly so).

Given this is a "table-top" unit and supposed to be in working order, any reason to think it should only be a museum piece? That is, would a modern still be preferred (and cheaper too)? Or is authenticity worth this kind of money if you are into HG?

post-97-1126755070.jpg

Still lookin' for it, but it looks to be one of Steve's items for those that have him down as a favorite seller.

That's so beautiful it makes me weep. I have no doubt that it's authentic and worth the asking price. It's not the ideal shape for making absinthe, but I'm sure it could be pressed into service.

Type alambic into the search engine, make sure it is with the a, not the e.

What's in the column, though... hopefully, any packing or plates could be removed.

That said, if I had the money...

It looks like a very stylish alquitar to me. I would guess that the column is wide open. The condenser is sitting on top off the column. It would probably be great for making brandies but so, so for things like absinthe.

The Ozark Mountain Whisky still is interesting, but they're all pretty pricy. None of them are really suitable for absinthe. Too many straight sides and angles = too much reflux = losing flavorful oils.

Lest we stray too far into forbidden territory, let's remember where we live, folks. Nobody wants revenooers knocking on their door.

To start the slope toward the condensor for any partial condensation of the vapor because of exposure to ambient temperature, so that it doesn't flow back into the still (partial reflux).

Just kidding, of course. It's a speed bump for subsonic vapor flow.

Almost had you with that, didn't I? It's actually to shift the mass center of gravity of the apparatus toward the condensor for stability of the assembly during boiling solvent "bumping".