Sign in to follow this  
Mat B.

Bacon-wrapped dates

I absolutely LOVE these! They lend great as a side with say, a nice steak with potatoes or asparagus; or as part of an appetizer spread coupled with some nice home made pesto and bread, cheese and tomato slices.

What you need:

Dates, pitted

Bacon (your favorite brand)

Thyme

How to make:

I found one slice of bacon will wrap two dates, so cut each slice in two and do the math on the bacon to date ratio you need.

Wrap the dates in bacon – sometimes a toothpick is needed to hold the bacon together until it crisps. Sprinkle a dash of thyme on the one side of each wrapped date (the area at each end generally works well). Place in rows in a baking sheet and put in the oven at 350º for about 15 minutes, or until the bacon renders much of its fat and began to crisp up. Serve and enjoy!

I like to cook them on a small grate inside the dish so the fat drips off the bacon and collects at the bottom of the pan. It makes me feel like its healthier and keeps the finished product less greasy to the touch.

You could stuff these if you so desire; almonds are good, but the palate is open to many options.

I can testify to the deliciousness of this recipe: it'll make you smack your grandma. It's easy as pie to make, too. A colleague gave me the recipe a few years ago and my wife and I whip it up fairly often--it makes a great hot dish for a party. Everyone who's tried it loves it (except for my vegetarian friends and relatives--who don't know what they're missing!) and it's always fun to watch people hovering over the plate, murmuring to one another, trying to guess what's in it. Should have thought to post this one myself! I'll have to go through all our recipes now for something to top it...

Just as an FYI, these are known as Devils on Horseback if you order them out. Which is neither quicker nor easier to say than Bacon-wrapped Dates, but gets wonderfully startled looks from the people you're serving them to.

Which is also delicious... in fact I have a recipe for prosciutto wrapped sweet potatoes as well.

And I bet our non-meat eating friends could use some of that tofu non-bacon. I mean, the possibilities are endless here. Pure, simple, delicious.

Bacon wrapped anything is good.

Just made some butterflied shrimp stuffed with jalapeños and asiago cheese wrapped with bacon last night. MMMMMM. I can't claim the recipe, as I saw it at the grocery from those 'simply enjoy' entrées, but I always think homemade is better than store bought.