26 replies to this topic

#1 Alan Moss

Alan Moss

absinthe-suisse.com

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,754 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 06:53 AM

From $59 to $79.

You may spot one or two errors in their press release ..
www.laclandestine.com: Hand-crafted in the birthplace of absinthe.

#2 fingerpickinblue

fingerpickinblue

Hallucinations Sold Separately

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,697 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 06:59 AM

I think this belongs in "Absinthe In Art > Fiction"
blind man see her, dumb man call her name - Ed Bell

#3 Ken Hallenius

Ken Hallenius

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 07:32 AM

RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!!!

Actually, I did notice that they give some insight to their process in the second paragraph:

...cheap industrial producers began artificially coloring it with toxic chemicals like copper and zinc making people sick

"If you've never said anything that can be held over your head on the internet, you've never been on the internet." - Peridot

http://blog.hallenius.org

#4 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 20,283 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 07:44 AM

:laf:

"...Sheep Dip Blended Single Malt Scotch, Pig's Nose 5 Yr. Old Scotch Whisky, Voodoo Tiki Tequila..."

I can't believe that the same prestigious company that brought us three of my favorite world class, luxury potables, would stoop to selling assbath.

How far they have fallen!

It is comforting to hear that the noble Czech distillers didn't let all that bad 19th century publicity deter them from continuing to produce their version of of cherished beverage! Apparently, Radomil Hill's assertion that Czech absinth has been produced since 1920 was a very conservative estimate.

In closing, for symmetry's sake, I repeat...

Thanks, Alan. Your tidbits always brighten my day. :cheers:

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#5 Boggy

Boggy

Delusions of Competence

• Canned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 08:25 AM

the finest international brands in the world such as Iceberg Vodka*, Sheep Dip Blended Single Malt Scotch, Pig's Nose 5 Yr. Old Scotch Whisky, Voodoo Tiki Tequila, Berentzen Apfel, Green Fairy Absinth, Famega Vinho Verde, Luis Felipe Edwards wines from Chile, Royal Oporto, Wines of Real Companhia Velha, Wines from Bacalhoa, Tishbi wines from Israel, Fabiano Wines from Veneto, Fazi Battaglia wines from Marche, Italy, Villa Dante Toscana, Sielo Blu from Josef Brigl, Tosti Sparkling Wines from Piedmont, Italy, Torlasco wines and much more.

I have never heard of a single one of these (besides Berentzen series but it is for kids, not a real alcohol), neither seen them on the shelves anywhere.

"Green Fairy is based on a traditional Czech formula which has made it the Absinth by which all other Absinth is judged,"

Great that crap is judged by comparing it within crapline.

thus more appealing to mixologists

So now, we know who's responsible for bringing them to the U.S. Who really needed that kick. Phew.

* distilled from Ontario sweet corn, just like the traditional vodka :thumbdown: -give me a fucking break.
Surviving the attacks of mentally-deficient creatures of the dark and carrying on (since 1999).

[Ironically, 1999 is the year the Dunning-Kruger effect was first advanced. - Admin]=

#6 pt447

pt447

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 09:02 AM

The cheap Czech crap will drown the market in crappy, psudo-absinthe for idiot college kids to mix with their red bull, which will kill them, and then all absinthe will get dumped on again. meanwhile, the better absinthe, which will remain mostly at a higher cost, will not get the same exposure and will be consumed less, due mostly to stupid people and a general lack of understanding of absinthe, and will stay a niche item for those of us who enjoy real absinthe!

#7 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 20,283 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 09:14 AM

meanwhile, the better absinthe, which will remain mostly at a higher cost

Yes, that mediocre Pacifique, at $63 a bottle, is definitely a ripoff compared to the exquisite Green Fairy at $59. :rolleyes:

#8 Misanthrope

Misanthrope

• PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 09:18 AM

As we all know, the average consumer associates absinth with the fire ritual which the Czech distillers have embraced and perpetuated so enthusiastically. Hence, they'll likely heavily market that aspect of absinth consumption. It's been an uphill battle for legit distillers and learned imbibers to polish absinth's reputation but with the introduction of absinth and the cheesy marketing that will surely come with it, absinthe's reputation will once again become tarnished.
It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this. -- Bertrand Russell
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. -- Dr Seuss
I hate mankind, for I think myself one of the best of them, and I know how bad I am. -- Joseph Baretti
Humankind cannot stand very much reality. -- T. S. Eliot

#9 pt447

pt447

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 09:21 AM

meanwhile, the better absinthe, which will remain mostly at a higher cost

Yes, that mediocre Pacifique, at $63 a bottle, is definitely a ripoff compared to the exquisite Green Fairy at $59. :rolleyes:

What I was implying is that you will probably start to see Czechsinth appearing in the $20-40 range that can just as easily be picked up by college kids going for low-end vodka and stuff like that. Sure there is a nice drop in absinthe prices recently through sites like DUNY, and even when ordering over seas, but you'll never see Jade for $39.99! That's my point.

#10 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Founder

• Root Admin
  • 11,386 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 10:08 AM

Foolish move on Admiral's part. Some day these guys will learn to do a little research.

If someone wants to do an impartially worded, point by point, myth vs. fact rebuttal of that release, I'd love to see it here for future reference.

Maker of Marteau Absinthe and Foxtrot London Dry Gin

Please don't forget to sign up for our newsletter, and consider a subscription donation.
Every bit helps the further development of the site and future events.

#11 buddhasynth

buddhasynth

Unseemly and Obtuse

• 2,647 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 10:43 AM

Regrettably, I would find it difficult at best to remain impartial in my wording..

..mixes well with energy drinks(slap on forehead)...
What part of Klaatu Barada Nikto don't you understand?

...because shoddy absinthes will be flavored with the lubricator of take the lead anise.

#12 Alan Moss

Alan Moss

absinthe-suisse.com

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,754 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 10:53 AM

Point One: "Admiral Imports Positioned to be Leading U.S. Importer of Absinth" (Note: No "e").

Well given that no-one else is currently importing absinth (where is St. Antoine?), that is probably true and not exactly a stretching target.
www.laclandestine.com: Hand-crafted in the birthplace of absinthe.

#13 Bluewolf Pete

Bluewolf Pete

Multifunctional items are definitely favored

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 10:59 AM

..mixes well with energy drinks(slap on forehead)...

Come now .... you wouldn't want to risk a letdown in the midst of trippin' ballz! Really ....
:arrr:

If you want thujone, fuck off and go eat sage ~ Ron

"Let's louche these bitches up and party!" ~ Fingerpickinblue

#14 dakini_painter

dakini_painter

Delaware Phoenix Distillery

• 3,825 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 03:18 PM

Djabel and Green Fairy have had COLAs for a little while (Oct 08).

The Green Fairy copy on the back label is very enticing:

During the dark-ages Bohemian "witches" and pagan worshippers used potions distilled from local herbs including wormwood (artemisia absinthium) as healing tonics and for social rituals. Green Fairy is based on one of these ancient recipes.

I've found many people that know the word absinthe, but don't know of the fire ritual. These usually are a little older, less likely to be part of the bar or club scene. That could be why.

At $59 for Green Fairy, Lucid is a better buy.

"Good is the only investment that never fails." Thoreau.
"Don't you push me baby cause I'm holdin' low / and you know I'm only in it for the gold" Grateful Dead
Distiller and Proprietor, Delaware Phoenix Distillery, Walton, NY. DSP-NY-15019. www.delawarephoenix.com

#15 sardonix

sardonix

C30H40O6 aficionado

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 02:14 PM

"...Sheep Dip Blended Single Malt Scotch, Pig's Nose 5 Yr. Old Scotch Whisky, Voodoo Tiki Tequila..."

I can't believe that the same prestigious company that brought us three of my favorite world class, luxury potables, would stoop to selling assbath.

Coming soon: BungHole Burgundy, RatTrap Rotgut, & AssCrack Aquavit. I can hardly wait!
I think, therefore I am. Or am I over-thinking? I am thinking it over...

#16 dakini_painter

dakini_painter

• 3,825 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 02:30 PM

Just so you know, Absomphe's list is of real products. They're not joke names that he made up.

"Don't you push me baby cause I'm holdin' low / and you know I'm only in it for the gold" Grateful Dead
Distiller and Proprietor, Delaware Phoenix Distillery, Walton, NY. DSP-NY-15019. www.delawarephoenix.com

#17 sardonix

sardonix

C30H40O6 aficionado

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 02:47 PM

Yes, I've actually heard of a few of those...truth CAN be stranger than fiction. Anyway, I'm just being a wise-ass. No offense meant. But what do you think-my names have some potential, no? :poke:

#18 dakini_painter

dakini_painter

• 3,825 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 04:25 PM

A wise ass? Well! There aren't any of those here. You'll have to look elsewhere.

Hm... Wait a sec. You're from Buffalo. So is that tongue-wagging fellow. He has fond memories. Was there lots of LES* this year? :devil:

I guess I'll finally admit to buying a bottle of the Sheep Dip a few years back. I'm not sure how you get a blended single malt. I thought the text was funny about using their whiskey to dip sheep. (Just a joke.) I didn't realize that it might not have been a joke. :twitchsmile:

[*] LES = Lake Effect Snow

#19 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,907 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 04:34 PM

I'm not sure how you get a blended single malt.

A common misperception is that a single malt comes from a single cask. Not true. Here are the major types of whiskies:

Single Malt: A bottle made up of malted whisky from ONE distillery. Most single malts are blends of several casks from that one distillery. This is probably what Sheep Dip was.

Single Cask Single Malt: Single malt Whisky bottled solely from one cask. No blending at all.

Vatted Malt: Malt whiskies from several distilleries that have been blended and then bottled. These used to be called Blended Malts or Pure Malts, but that was a bit confusing, since most Single Malts could also be classified as blended malts.

Blended Whisky: A blend of both malted whisky and non-malted grain whisky.

Grain whisky: Made from grains, usually wheat, corn or non-malted barley produced in a continuous still as opposed to a pot still. Typically produced in the Lowlands.
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#20 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 20,283 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 04:35 PM

"* Lake Effect Snow".

Thanks for the clarification, Dakini.

You had me going there, for a few seconds. ;) :cheers:

And, yes, I have many fond memories of the Buffalo area.

How nice that the passage of so much time can often have a "rose colored glasses" effect. :laugh:

#21 sardonix

sardonix

C30H40O6 aficionado

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 04:42 PM

Hm... Wait a sec. You're from Buffalo. So is that tongue-wagging fellow. He has fond memories. Was there lots of LES* this year? :devil:
[*] LES = Lake Effect Snow

Hey, what's winter without a few good blizzards? You could say we had more LES than usual this year. :biggrin:

#22 fingerpickinblue

fingerpickinblue

Hallucinations Sold Separately

• Content Team
  • 3,697 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 07:56 PM

I'm from Grand Rapids, Michigan, where LES is also more! :twitchsmile:
blind man see her, dumb man call her name - Ed Bell

#23 Absinthe Ben

Absinthe Ben

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 01:53 AM

I'm from Grand Rapids, too! :shock: The only difference being that I still live there!

If you're ever back in town, let me know and we'll louche a few.
At least it's not Le Tourment Vert...

15 minutes of reading could save you $50 or more on shit absinthe:

www.absinthe-review.net

#24 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 20,283 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 05:54 AM

Hey, what's winter without a few good blizzards? You could say we had more LES than usual this year. :biggrin:

I reveled in the Blizzard of '77, and the 56" LES in '95 was a blast, but I still lament not having been there to delight in the 84'' cataclysm during Christmas week of '01.

#25 Bluewolf Pete

Bluewolf Pete

Multifunctional items are definitely favored

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 09:39 AM

Yes, I've actually heard of a few of those...truth CAN be stranger than fiction. Anyway, I'm just being a wise-ass. No offense meant. But what do you think-my names have some potential, no? :poke:

I can totally get behind AssCrack Aquavit. Quite catchy .... :thumbup:

If you want thujone, fuck off and go eat sage ~ Ron

"Let's louche these bitches up and party!" ~ Fingerpickinblue

#26 buddhasynth

buddhasynth

Unseemly and Obtuse

• 2,647 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 09:39 AM

Damn, I was in the 5th grade in New Albany Indiana during the blizzard of 77. I was out of school for the whole month of January. It was great.
What part of Klaatu Barada Nikto don't you understand?

...because shoddy absinthes will be flavored with the lubricator of take the lead anise.

#27 sardonix

sardonix

C30H40O6 aficionado

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 12:55 PM

I reveled in the Blizzard of '77, and the 56" LES in '95 was a blast, but I still lament not having been there to delight in the 84'' cataclysm during Christmas week of '01.

All I can say about that is HOLY CRAP! I was shoveling literally non-stop for 2 days, stopping only to change into dry clothes to go start again. Then there's the October storm of 2006 ("Arborgeddon") with unbelievable tree destruction...now THAT was fun!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2017 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association