Promotional Replica Glass

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Neorebel

Neorebel

• PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 10:11 AM

This may sound ridiculous, but here's the deal: I have some replica glassware from when I was an Absinthe noob. One of the items is a nice molded replica reservoir glass, with the 'La Fee' logo on it. La fee is disgusting. I attempted to remove their logo from the glass with denatured alcohol and a 'magic eraser' sponge without success. Any ideas??

#2 Ken Hallenius

Ken Hallenius

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 10:23 AM

I have the same question about the Lucid bottle - I want the eyes gone, but the bottle unstained. If you come up with an idea, let us know!
"If you've never said anything that can be held over your head on the internet, you've never been on the internet." - Peridot

http://blog.hallenius.org

#3 Retrogarde

Retrogarde

"historical joie de vivre" -Marlow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 10:30 AM

Well Ken, a piece of black electrical tape will solve your dilemma (or a blindfold for the kitty), but Neorebel's dilemma is a bit harder. Neo, is the logo etched into the glass? If so you ain't never gonna get that sucker off. If on the other hand it is some sort of sticker (for lack of a better term), there might be hope. But do not resort to sand paper, trust me. Been there, ruined that... :thumbdown:
The basic tools of the absintheur are essentially a spoon, glass, sugar cube, chilled water, and absinthe. None of the other objects are actually necessary to prepare the drink, but they are imperative for instigating a type of visual hypnosis and bringing richness to the ceremony.
--Betina J. Wittels

#4 Neorebel

Neorebel

• PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 10:50 AM

It does not appear to be etched in any way. Its red lettering - some type of enamel possibly? Its similar to logo pint glasses you can buy...

#5 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,187 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 11:05 AM

On glass and chrome I use steel wool. I use it on my pickup's windshield. The stuff is cheap and has lots of other uses. Granted it ain't WD40 but it's good to have around.

Good luck!
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#6 Neorebel

Neorebel

• PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 11:09 AM

hmm maybe I'll try the denatured alcohol again only with steel wool as an applicator...

thanks Bill!

#7 Misanthrope

Misanthrope

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 11:50 AM

My advise; polishing compound, a buffer, and patience.
It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this. -- Bertrand Russell
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. -- Dr Seuss
I hate mankind, for I think myself one of the best of them, and I know how bad I am. -- Joseph Baretti
Humankind cannot stand very much reality. -- T. S. Eliot

#8 thegreenimp

thegreenimp

Obsessed Herbsaint Collector

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 04:19 PM

Google bottle tumbling, which will cost more than the glass is worth.
At the close of the day drink an Herbsaint Frappé,...Legendre Herbsaint, always served when absinthe is called for.
The History of Legendre Herbsaint

#9 White Wolf

White Wolf

• PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 04:30 PM

If what is on the glass is paint or decal, I would try a solvent. acetone based nail polish remover comes to mind, or my favorite paint ruiner, brake cleaner. Do use that outside, and clean thouroughly before drinking out of the glasses. It's nasty stuff.

Jim
"No matter where you go, there you are"

#10 Kaiser

Kaiser

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 06:16 AM

Try some Zip Strip on the paint. It should take it right off and leave zero residue.

It is a nasty chemical though so be careful.

#11 Gypsy

Gypsy

• PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 07:32 AM

From what I have heard, this stuff works:

Tal-Strip

"So I rise to the hill tops, I ride the night winds, I make love to the darkness and laugh at man’s sins" Cowboy Junkies

#12 Wild Bill Turkey

Wild Bill Turkey

Exigez le mot Turkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 11:30 AM

The best way to get paint off of glass is with a razor blade and extreme care. A single-edge blade will scrape and chip away the paint without damaging the glass if you take your time, but don't let your attention wander. Trust me, I'm a doctor of paint removal from glass.

However, and this is important...why bother? That Pontarlier II glass that La Fée paints their logo onto can be had for less than $10 on Amazon. Consider the one with the logo a kitsch collector's item and keep your old wheat pennies in it in the attic or something. You'll spend time and effort cleaning the paint off of a cheap glass, and one day you might even wish you hadn't.
"I'm always amused when a member incorporates a quote from another member into their signature." - fpb

#13 Retrogarde

Retrogarde

"historical joie de vivre" -Marlow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 01:08 PM

I totally agree with Wild Bill. Repro glasses are fun and inexpensive to get, so save the elbow grease. Plus, you could always use the La Fee glass for when you offer your friends side-by-side comparisons of good vs. bad absinthe. I believe there is a Jade glass in the same style if you wanted a matching set!
The basic tools of the absintheur are essentially a spoon, glass, sugar cube, chilled water, and absinthe. None of the other objects are actually necessary to prepare the drink, but they are imperative for instigating a type of visual hypnosis and bringing richness to the ceremony.
--Betina J. Wittels

#14 rambus

rambus

• Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 01:38 PM

Razor + Goo gone.

If you can just get it started with the razor,
soak the chipped away area in goo gone and then push/pry at the near by edges (they should be easier to remove at this point).

Repeat- Reapt- Repeat.

When you have finished removing the paint, apply more goo gone and then polish away any remaining residue.

And say good by to an hour of your life.

EDIT: oh and the area under the logo may never look perfect and the adhesive may have etched the glass.
"Got tight last night on absinthe and did knife tricks" -Ernest Hemingway

#15 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,274 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 03:58 PM

I wonder if the stripper will work on an LTV bottle? It makes a good carafe.

Maker of Marteau Absinthe and Foxtrot London Dry Gin
Distiller, Stone & Szilard Distilling Co.
www.absinthemarteau.com

#16 Wild Bill Turkey

Wild Bill Turkey

Exigez le mot Turkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 04:12 PM

Strippers and LTV. Who says the Wormwood Society are all snobs?
"I'm always amused when a member incorporates a quote from another member into their signature." - fpb

#17 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,993 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 05:04 PM

Related but in an opposite direction:
What if I wanted a very cool logo etched into a glass? Something cool and tasteful like, maybe Ridge Verte? Directions?

#18 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,818 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 05:11 PM

You can do your own etching but it aint easy. Supplies can be found at crafts stores like Michaels. Alternatively, stores like 'Things Remembered' can do engraving and acid etching.
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#19 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,187 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 05:15 PM

Glass etching paste. Have your design on an adhesive material, apply to the glass, trim out your design with an xacto knife or some similar tool and apply etching paste. Rinse then remove extra adhesive material and admire.

Someone here did that with a fleur de lis design on a fountain.

Hobby stores will have it and reading the instructions is probably a good idea.

Oh, I have an ultra high speed engraver, About 300,000 RPM's, with diamond burrs for engraving glass.
I just don't have steady enough hands anymore.

We have a member that does bottle engraving don't we?
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#20 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,993 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 06:47 PM

Thanks, guys. If I did it, it'd look like a 4-year old's work with a box of Crayolas.

And I just insulted many, many four-year old kids.

#21 Attack Accountant

Attack Accountant

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 07:39 PM

Your oldest sister has had experience in glass etching, I believe.
I think I'm funny but no one else does.

#22 Gypsy

Gypsy

• PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 08:09 PM

Strippers and LTV. Who says the Wormwood Society are all snobs?

Hey! I was a stripper for about 15 years. ;)

but um...not the kind with lights on them. Instead I had lights under me. heh

(printing = 4/c stripper...magazines, ads, brochures, etc)

and, definitely NOT a snob!

"So I rise to the hill tops, I ride the night winds, I make love to the darkness and laugh at man’s sins" Cowboy Junkies

#23 baubel

baubel

Hued-pottymouth

• 7,728 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 08:12 PM

I wonder if the stripper will work on an LTV bottle?

From what I've heard that usually depends on how much one is willing to spend. :twitchsmile:

I wouldn't know though.

Seriously.

Never been.

Seriously.

A little technological fix to a spiritual problem.

#24 JohhnyJohhny

JohhnyJohhny

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 07:54 PM

Joe,
I used the glass etch stuff from Hobby Lobby and it worked out pretty good )I made Christmas gift glasses with the dose and water line etched on).
You can use normal adhesive shelf paper or vinyl electrical tape. The tape worked a bit better as I could stretch it around odd shapes, but a larger area like for a logo might be better served with shelf paper.

#25 Captain Tom

Captain Tom

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 12:10 AM

What ever happened with this? I have the same glass and it would be nice to remove that visual abhorrence.
Did anyone ever find anything that would work? I would like to know if I may. :wave2:

I made Christmas gift glasses with the dose and water line etched on.

This is a really great idea. I would love to try this.
How you know where to mark the water line though? Do you just mark it at 3 to 1? :unsure:
Trouvat pour la beaute une alchemie plus sainte.
Donc de sa main celeste il epuise, il ereinte
Les dons les plus subtils de la divine Flore.
Leurs corps brises souspirent une exhalaison d'or
Dont il nous recueillait la goutte de—l'Absinthe!

MESSIEURS...C'EST L'HEURE!

#26 Jen Dixon

Jen Dixon

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 04:14 AM

My dishwasher did a great job at removing a poor faux (logo) etching on one of my glasses. You can only just barely see it now when the light is right.
I'm Jen, artist and dork. I used to run an absinthe shop. You can also find me at:
http://www.regularjen.com, Twitter @regularjen
http://jendixonarts.com, what I do for a living
http://www.flickr.co...tos/regularjen/, pics
http://absinthehour.com, Twitter @absinthehour

#27 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• 3,309 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 08:12 AM

Just pour some grande absente on it. It should dissolve instantly. :puke:

#28 Nonmouse

Nonmouse

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 08:56 AM

Methyl ethyl ketone (MEK) is pretty much the gold standard for dissolving stuff like that.

However, it's also fairly nasty stuff- suspected carcinogen and teratogen. The EPA did recently downgrade its toxicity from a "2" to a "1" for labeling, but I'd still want to make sure I was wearing gloves (two pairs; it dissolves them) and work in a very well ventilated area.
I don't have pet peeves; I have major psychotic fucking hatreds. Geo. DP Carlin

#29 oglala56

oglala56

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 11:53 AM

Just pour some grande absente on it. It should dissolve instantly. :puke:

:laf:
"Everything is on its way to somewhere" (Albert Einstein)

#30 oglala56

oglala56

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 11:54 AM

My dishwasher did a great job at removing a poor faux (logo) etching on one of my glasses. You can only just barely see it now when the light is right.

It does and use pot-scrubber dish-washing soap...run on sanitizing mode.
"Everything is on its way to somewhere" (Albert Einstein)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association