Golden Age

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Neorebel

Neorebel

• PipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 09:06 AM

Based on the list of approved absinthe and speculation on the 'realabsinthe' blog, I am really excited about the surge of new absinthe that will be coming out from craft distillers here in the US. It was on there that I first heard of Joe Legate's upcoming releases. I'm pretty stoked. I just ordered some Marteau and I'm looking forward to tasting it, along with other 'handmade' products from like-minded people that have contributed a lot to the community. I was really concerned that a lot of crapsinthe would dominate the shelves and that the mainstream would become even more confused about what authentic absinthe is...

#2 White Wolf

White Wolf

• PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 10:50 AM

Personally I hope the "Golden Age" has yet to come. If it's here we are looking at the downhill slope coming fast. I'm hoping there is alot better yet to come.

Jim
"No matter where you go, there you are"

#3 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,254 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 07:02 PM

I'd wager there will be some mighty good absinthes on the market this year. The thought makes me anxious. Small batch artisanal products are some of my favorite things. Supporting folks that truly enjoy crafting fine absinthes will benefit all of us.

Tough to beat a product made with love.

Cheers!
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#4 sardonix

sardonix

C30H40O6 aficionado

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 07:40 PM

I'm thrilled with the new availability of absinthe in the US in general. When my fascination with absinthe first began late in 2006, I had no idea that I'd be able to walk into a store and buy the real thing right here within a year. I remember buying Absente and Camargo before "going for it" & ordering the good stuff from Europe (waiting anxiously for the package to arrive, if it did...). As far as American production, it's practically a dream come true. I like St. George, even though it's a liitle different. Next on my list to buy are Leopold, and I will also have to try Marteau as soon as possible.
I think, therefore I am. Or am I over-thinking? I am thinking it over...

#5 ooooooooo

ooooooooo

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 08:27 PM

There are a lot of great (I'm saying great based on other people's reviews and posts) absinthes I haven't tried, but of the ones I have tried, Leopold is my hands down favorite. Although taste is the most important thing to me (and Leopold doesn't disappoint there), the aroma pleases my senses better than any other.

I haven't tried the new Marteau, though, and that is next on my list.
"The decline of the aperitif may well be one of the most depressing phenomena of our time." -- Luis Bunuel

#6 LeRoy

LeRoy

Shifty eyes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,848 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 09:46 PM

I remember buying Absente and Camargo ...

So, what did you think of Camargo? I don't know that I have read too many reviews of it.

"We shall see that at which dogs howl in the dark, and that at which cats prick up their ears after midnight"
HP Lovecraft

#7 Larspeart

Larspeart

Advanced 'member'...

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,817 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 09:51 PM

Deva... Segarra... Tatu... Hills...

Some of the vets are lucky to be alive.

I'm just plain lucky! :)

"Here's to the corkscrew - a useful key to unlock the storehouse of wit, the treasury of laughter, the front door of fellowship, and the gate of pleasant folly." - W.E.P. French

We're only immortal
For a limited time.

#8 sardonix

sardonix

C30H40O6 aficionado

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 10:06 PM

I remember buying Absente and Camargo ...

So, what did you think of Camargo? I don't know that I have read too many reviews of it.

I had a US "grande wormwood-free" version that I bought at a local liquor store. Fake Incredible Hulk green color. Very thin. Even though the only other "absinthe-esque" spirit I had at that point was Absente, I knew this couldn't be that close to the "real deal". Shortly thereafter I placed an order with Markus Lion for something much, much better...
I think, therefore I am. Or am I over-thinking? I am thinking it over...

#9 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,907 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 09:37 AM

I didn't think Camargo was available in any version within the US.
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#10 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Founder

• Root Admin
  • 11,386 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 10:30 AM

Yep, since '04. I had some in San Francisco last summer. It's actually passable, in spite of the artificial color. Unlike all of the other artificially colored absinthes out there, this one tastes like it was actually distilled. I didn't have time to sit down and really taste it (Robert and I were on a bar-hopping mission), but at least my first impression wasn't a gag reflex.

Maker of Marteau Absinthe and Foxtrot London Dry Gin

Please don't forget to sign up for our newsletter, and consider a subscription donation.
Every bit helps the further development of the site and future events.

#11 Bob Tessier

Bob Tessier

WS token Canuck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,119 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 12:04 PM

The Canadian version of a Golden Age is that in the five months since I discovered absinthe, the number of absinthes available to me has tripled: Taboo, Taboo Gold, and CLB. If I go to Toronto this summer I could try Sirene. I wonder where it will be in a couple years? :g:
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2017 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association