Joe Riley

Lady Absinthe fountain

My favorite fountain, and still the only one I pull out.

It makes for a better talking piece (not that just HAVING one in your home isn't enough, haha!), and that's half the joy of sipping with friends- great conversation.

I am considering this fountain. My concern is that the spigots seem so high above the glass height. Is this a problem with splashing?

Height used to be jokingly desired. There are some vintage drawings floating around...dudes pouring water into a glass from a tree with the glass on the ground...all that kinky shit.

I am considering this fountain. My concern is that the spigots seem so high above the glass height. Is this a problem with splashing?

Yes.

You have to make some provisions for the splash area, and don't louche directly on top of your Louis Quinze maple sideboard. But the fountain is beautiful, you'll be happy to have it in your home, and the additional drip height is actually good for mixing the drink. Those old cartoons of people in trees were exaggerations, but not entirely joking.

Put the fountain on a tray.

but...but

you lose precious absinthe with the splashes! ;)

Actually, the one I am considering buying is from Saxon, it has the 4 spigots. :thumbup:

I wonder why Saxon is selling the Lady fountain for $10 less than the two reproduction fountains? I'd think it would sell for more...

but...but

you lose precious absinthe with the splashes! ;)

Gallagher-style with a poncho and plastic bags.

I wonder why Saxon is selling the Lady fountain for $10 less than the two reproduction fountains? I'd think it would sell for more...

Maybe he got a butt-load of them and got a good deal?

I haven't even used mine yet, let alone break it. But it's good to hear you can replace the globe, since a lot of folks here seem to have issues with. Thanks for the tip, Brian.

Woah! I didn't see that. Thanks, Shabba, for pointing that out. That's what I need to get my fountain back on its feet again.

W00t!

Fantastic! Mine has a crack in the side that doesn't seem to leak, but eventually it'll need replacing. I might buy one sooner just to have it on hand for the inevitable.

OK, just got mine today. Happy to say I beat all those prices with free shipping as an added incentive. Sometimes eBay comes through. It's all washed out and will be put to use this afternoon. :cheers:

OK, just got mine today. Happy to say I beat all those prices with free shipping as an added incentive. Sometimes eBay comes through. It's all washed out and will be put to use this afternoon. :cheers:

Good score, Techdiver! Sometimes eBay does make itself useful.

It's worth noting that La Maison d'Absinthe lists items there, with Buy It Now prices that are cheaper than the prices on their actual website. I recently bought 2 Pontalier glasses and 2 drippers (all 4 with cuts) for a total of $38 plus $10 shipping; if I had bought them from the website, the cost would have been $62 plus $11 shipping.

Saving $$$ definitely makes trolling through eBay worth it, and it sounds like you had a similar experience. Enjoy your new fountain!

Does mini mean that it's not like 10 feet tall? I thought that was the only drawback to the original lady fountain.

Does mini mean that it's not like 10 feet tall? I thought that was the only drawback to the original lady fountain.

They have two, the standard 4 spigot at 59 cm tall, and the mini, which is 2 spigots at 49 cm tall...less splash, less height, and $20 less. It will be here tomorrow, I'll let you guys know it it was worth it!

-Scott