#1 greenfaerie67

greenfaerie67

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 06:33 AM

I feel alone…

My partner and I really enjoy drinking Absinthe and appreciate its subtleness and the whole ceremony of actually preparing it.

Alas all our friends think we are mad, they think it is just a really alcoholic drink designed to get you as drunk as possible and best not drunk at all. This is despite us trying to educate them and allowing them to sample various brands.

Also whenever we buy absinthe in a bar we are never given water, they think we just want a shot, to down as quick as possible at get us legless. They look at us like we are alcoholics.

Where are all the proper and sensible Absinthe drinkers do they exist?

:mellow:

#2 Alan Moss

Alan Moss

absinthe-suisse.com

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,754 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 06:38 AM

But, remembering from your first post, you come from Hertfordshire, England.

Some people have said that Hertfordshire is the epicenter of the global absinthe renaissance: see the address at the bottom of this page.

If they can't get it right in Hertfordshire, what hope for the rest of us?
www.laclandestine.com: Hand-crafted in the birthplace of absinthe.

#3 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,283 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 06:48 AM

Don't feel so alone, GF!

The Pacific Northwest is the Epicenter of the Absinthe Universe™, and there are quite a few dumasses who get it wrong here, too. ;)

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#4 pt447

pt447

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 02:15 PM

People are dumb!

#5 Butch Onufrak

Butch Onufrak

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 03:04 PM

Most of them are here.
Do you own thing and enjoy it. Don't worry about anyone else.

#6 sardonix

sardonix

C30H40O6 aficionado

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 03:51 PM

As a die-hard non-conformist, one of the (many) things I enjoy about being an absinthe enthusiast is that it is NOT popular with the masses...that being said, I do feel a desire to connect with like-minded imbibers. Which is one of the (many!) things I enjoy about this forum, even though I'm new to joining in the discussion. :cheers:
I think, therefore I am. Or am I over-thinking? I am thinking it over...

#7 Wren

Wren

• PipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 04:11 PM

That nicely captures my feelings.
:cheers:
“The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.”  -George Carlin

#8 pt447

pt447

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 05:09 PM

group hug... :cheerz:

#9 Marlow

Marlow

Aeronaut

• Silver Member
  • 913 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 05:19 PM

I'm a die-hard conformist, myself. I hang out here so I can feel different.
Annihilating all that's made
To a green thought in a green shade.

#10 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,254 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 05:42 PM

I hang out here because I enjoy sipping with like minded folks. More group hugs?

Cheers!
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#11 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 20,283 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 06:10 PM

:nono: :angry2: :angry:

Hey, somebody's gotta play the Olde Curmugeon. :wave2:

#12 Trid

Trid

Ooo Shiny!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 06:12 PM

Play?
Some people are like slinkies....not really useful for anything, but you can't help but to smile when you see them tumbling down a flight of stairs.

#13 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 20,283 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 06:14 PM

:angry2:

#14 Neorebel

Neorebel

• PipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 09:39 PM

I find it frustrating when I share a hard earned bottle with friends and they just want to knock it back as quickly as possible. I'm like, are you capable of sipping on it? It isn't swill!! Look at the louche! The background on it is... (etc)

They ask how I know all this about it... because I'm interested? how else?

Also, it is interesting how the Pac. NW seems to be an absinthe hotbed... why is that? In NJ its just Lucid, Pernod, Absente, Lucid, Lucid, Lucid in the stores. Give thanks for the internet!

Edited by Neorebel, 25 February 2009 - 09:40 PM.

#15 Bluewolf Pete

Bluewolf Pete

Multifunctional items are definitely favored

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 08:57 AM

Others may have a better explanation of why absinthe in particular, but the bigger picture is that the Great Northwest is the hotbed for many things tasty!
Ale, wine, coffee, now a micro-distillery explosion ... tons of good restaurants!

But I would think, being in NJ, that you could take advantage of NYC, which is also a major center of flavorful things.

If you want thujone, fuck off and go eat sage ~ Ron

"Let's louche these bitches up and party!" ~ Fingerpickinblue

#16 Absinthe Ben

Absinthe Ben

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 04:00 PM

I think a lot of us may know how greenfaerie feels. When I began drinking absinthe, people here in the US were even more ignorant than they are now, and a LOT of my friends looked at me like I was either an alcoholic because of the higher ABV, or shuddered because they were still under the impression that it was a drug. On top of that, the few that were interested, were clearly only asking to take part so they could get effed-up.

Until you can meet some like-minded people locally, yes, it is frustrating.
At least it's not Le Tourment Vert...

15 minutes of reading could save you $50 or more on shit absinthe:

www.absinthe-review.net

#17 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,254 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 04:13 PM

I understand your pain.

People I work with refuse to pronounce it correctly and give me grief on a regular basis about it.

There are a couple at work that understand but we run in different circles and have only set down to sip a couple times in a couple years. My Precious doesn't care for it at all and refers to absinthe as cough syrup. Bless her little pointed head. *devil grin*

She does let me buy some now and again but for the most part I sip alone or while reading the new posts in here.

I need to get out and teach more folks. That is some good fun. I was invited out to do just that as soon as I find the time.

Until then, :cheers:
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#18 pt447

pt447

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 04:25 PM

I think a lot of us may know how greenfaerie feels. When I began drinking absinthe, people here in the US were even more ignorant than they are now, and a LOT of my friends looked at me like I was either an alcoholic because of the higher ABV, or shuddered because they were still under the impression that it was a drug. On top of that, the few that were interested, were clearly only asking to take part so they could get effed-up.

Until you can meet some like-minded people locally, yes, it is frustrating.

A number of my friends were excited because of the higher alcohol content and because it was supposed to be a drug. Once I got through the whole rigmarole it got so demystified that it was "just some boring licorice thing that tasted weird and was too much trouble to deal with." Luckily my very best friends are interested at least in getting to know it. In fact this weekend I'll be formally introducing them to this wonderful drink!

#19 Absinthe Ben

Absinthe Ben

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 04:47 PM

Glad to hear you're gaining some ground, pt!
At least it's not Le Tourment Vert...

15 minutes of reading could save you $50 or more on shit absinthe:

www.absinthe-review.net

#20 mojorisin35

mojorisin35

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 08:42 AM

I shared this on the facebook group Canadians for real absinthe group and thought I would share it here as well
In British Columbia Canada, there is what the liquor board calls "signature stores" staffed with "experts" on all things in the store. I went into a signature store and spoke with their "expert" and asked about absinthe and absinthe accessories. She gave me a bottle of absente, and said here's absinthe. When I politely informed her that in fact it is not absinthe she told me "as long as it clouds it is absinthe, and it comes with a spoon so why isn't it absinthe." Oh lord how long must we suffer fools.
and just this weekend I went into another store and purchased another bottle of taboo. When I got to the front of the till the cashier looked at the bottle, for a good 20 seconds, looked at me (obviously looking for a gun, since i just MUST be a raving maniac drug fiend there for my "fix") and stared at the floor. I asked him if he had ever tried it and he said
" NO...I' am not in need of an experience" and continued to stare at the floor. My first instinct was to slap him upside the head on general principles, however I contained myself and left with my "fix".

Gary

Edited by gary, 27 February 2009 - 08:42 AM.

#21 Neorebel

Neorebel

• PipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 08:44 AM

Whoa...
:dribble:

#22 Neorebel

Neorebel

• PipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 08:47 AM

Posted Image

Edited by Neorebel, 27 February 2009 - 08:49 AM.

#23 pt447

pt447

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 09:01 AM

Glad to hear you're gaining some ground, pt!

We'll see, I know that at least one of them is already very interested. Another will probably like it and asked that, if he does, can he piggy back on my next order. The last two for this upcoming tasting will probably hate it, considrering one hates anise. But, one at a time--or two in this case--I suppose is better than nothing.

#24 Bluewolf Pete

Bluewolf Pete

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 11:09 AM

That's probably just the way it will be. Just like with every other kind of alcoholic drink.
You can lead a horse to water ......
:arrr:

#25 buddhasynth

buddhasynth

Unseemly and Obtuse

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,647 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 11:59 AM

Hey now....

I'm a Fire Horse if you believe that Chinese Asstrology stuff. :laugh:
What part of Klaatu Barada Nikto don't you understand?

...because shoddy absinthes will be flavored with the lubricator of take the lead anise.

#26 Bluewolf Pete

Bluewolf Pete

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 01:45 PM

Is that anything like a Fire Hose? :poke:

#27 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 20,283 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 02:43 PM

Most horses are equipped with those, so kinda.

#28 Ken Hallenius

Ken Hallenius

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 02:49 PM

:hysterical2:
"If you've never said anything that can be held over your head on the internet, you've never been on the internet." - Peridot

http://blog.hallenius.org

#29 Bob Tessier

Bob Tessier

WS token Canuck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,119 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 03:44 PM

:mellow:

Sometimes I feel good about being part of an educated and knowledgeable minority. :pirate:
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"

#30 baubel

baubel

Hued-pottymouth

• 7,826 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 04:00 PM

Someone I know once told me, while he and I were sipping absinthe, that we were "the only people who knew how to drink around here." He meant most of NM, and was only mostly serious, (not completely), and that was back before some of the WS's current, closer members joined up. That maybe a little bit snobbish, but I hear it echo when I see some of the locals pay $6 for a "Cape Cod" at the local bars.

Finding friendly, educated drinkers of any kind of alcohol can be tricky, but they're out there. I found one by chance and by chance happen to meet up with them every Saturday evening. Everyone in it has their drink of choice, there's a guy who loves sake, a woman who loves scotch, and I'm the "Absinthe guy".

My $.02.

:cheers:

A little technological fix to a spiritual problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2017 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association