greenfaerie67

Recreating the effect?

I think there are gobs of literary 'evidence' that would lead any normal person/reader to believing there is more to absinthe then just getting drunk. Zola, Rimbaud, Verlaine, Hemingway, Wilde, London, Borges...

I think this tells us more about authors and poets than it does about absinthe.

Good point. But I'm not ready to say entirely correct.

I think that a LOT of folks on here had some preconceived notion of absinthe before we joined/started drinking it... and a LOT of that notion was derived from literature, poets, authors, painters.

And a lot of them wrote about something that (at least THEY) didn't see the same as wine or whiskey.

In my opinion the secondary effect is due to the herbs used for the ingredients. Just take a look at the history of wormwood, anise, fennel, etc. and you can see the medicinal history surrounding the herbs and their usage. Hell, right now I am drinking a premium beer soaked in anise and fennel, feeling a similar lucid drunk yet awake state and havent touched any absinthe today. So the herbs add the dimension and open the doors of perception in any alcoholic beverage, it just depends on what feeling or effect you want to feel aside from the alcohol, and what dosage and amount you use.

I agree on the herb effect thingy but different booze has always had different effects on me. In the past, vodka let me rest, gin was refreshing on hot sticky nights, beer was just something to quench a thirst and tequila was good for partying all night and if lucky, NOT go to jail.

Each booze has different herbs, grains, botanicals etc.

Water is my go to drink and I drink it at room temp at work. No effects but it keeps me alive.

*smile*

Effect? Yes! No! Who knows and how do you measure it?

I suppose a lot of you have heard someone say that absinthe had a "push me pull me" effect. It might have been Ted Breaux. I've certainly started drinking something like rum switched to absinthe and felt straighter as a result. I think when you start putting a bunch of herbs together in alcohol you could get a variety of results. I know I have a bottle of Vallote 72 and a bottle of Duplais Verte 68 but can you guess which one feels decidely like a whack upside the head time after time? Well, its not the Valotte. I'm still pondering the reasoning behind that one.

Regards~ Leich

Of course absinthe has a unique effect. It's not really secondary, it's just part of the effect. And of course it's the herbs in it that give it its unique effect, because all that's left is alcohol.

Yes, every different booze has its own unique effect, and yet you don't find message boards cluttered with endless debates about tequila's effect or whether the mezcal worm really is hallucinogenic (as many still purport it to be).

Coffee clearly has a unique effect—longer-lived and surprisingly similar to that of absinthe—but will you find the coffee boards hosting lengthy threads about which brands or varieties give the biggest effect?

My point is that the only reason we have this discussion over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over is that the polemics then, and the marketing and media now, have told us to expect something wild and different and edgy and dangerous with absinthe.

If that same marketing had been used to sell mezcal and tequila online, they'd be having this discussion over at La Sociedad de Maguey. Fortunately, mezcal and tequila are well-known enough that that bullshit wouldn't fly. But with absinthe? The suckers line right up.

Tequila is (disgusting) a different buzz than bourbon.

:nono: hey now....those who disrespect such potentially wrathful spirits will be made to pay, what can a guy say? A nice silver actually goes very well with Pho....

Coffee clearly has a unique effect—longer-lived and surprisingly similar to that of absinthe—but will you find the coffee boards hosting lengthy threads about which brands or varieties give the biggest effect?

the varieties grown at lower altitudes are definitely stronger, you can taste the caffeinated bitterness right off the bat. I prefer the higher altitude stuff, it tastes much smoother and you can get away with drinking it a bit stronger as a result. I'm sure Green Baron could break it down much more comprehensively.....

I am getting more and more sensitive to caffeine as I age(can't have coffee after 2or3pm or I'll be wired till the sun comes up) so I'm less concerned with effect but back in the day I used to get up and pour 12 cups worth of Kona blend into my saucepan, cook it up cowboy-style and pour it into a big tall glass full of ice first thing out of bed. Try that upon rising in Tucson(110 degrees by 10am) and believe me you will hallucinate after a half hour...

I agree on the herb effect thingy but different booze has always had different effects on me.

Each booze has different herbs, grains, botanicals etc.

No question. Not only do different types of booze have different effects on me, it seems different absinthes have somewhat different effects. Especially some of those "high thujone" Czech styles... :puke:

I think that a LOT of folks on here had some preconceived notion of absinthe before we joined/started drinking it... and a LOT of that notion was derived from literature, poets, authors, painters.

I have to admit being an example of that. I didn't set out to find an anise-flavored high proof alcohol. On the contrary, I was nearly raised to run in fear from the black jelly beans. It was the reading of a play revolving around absinthe - titled "Opaline"? - that piqued my curiosity.

I recall the best conversation I ever had with my grandfather. We don't get to talk much and we have difficulty seeing eye to eye. We were drinking 'his favorite wine' at the time. I was having a great time, and in turn, the wine tasted great to me. I later found out that the wine was Carlo Rossi 'Paisano' jug wine. I purchased some and drank it on my own, and it was godawful.

Not to say in the least that Absinthe is dependent on the ritual or bad tasting on your own, its just that things can be 'enhanced' by the situation

Neorebel - love that story - it's so true of me. I find my enjoyment is very much influenced by the situation and who I am in company with.

-- T

Many people here will try to steer you away from believing that good absinthe produces secondary effects. However, it is clear that absinthe, after several glasses, produces a unique buzz, often coined as "clear-minded."

I find that different brands produce such an effect better than others. Usually I can only achieve a strong "absinthe buzz" after about 5 glasses.

My best advice is to buy quality products, and make sure you are ready for a night of drinking. 2 glasses won't do it.

I have also found that more "herbal" absinthes, such as Fougerolles, produce stronger effects than others.

People play down the secondary effects because they are not gauranteed, and often not even noticed by untuned drinkers. This site prides itself on relayed facts not myths. I believe it is a fact that absinthe creates secondary effects. Whether or not you can achieve them is up to the drinker.

I believe everyone agrees that there is more than just wormwood involved, the effects are the combination of the many herbs found in the drink.

However, after testing this theory by smoking concentrated wormwood, I believe it plays a larger role than people believe. I received a very similiar buzz without the alcohol "drunkedness."

However, that is just a personal experience and it is not accepted as proof in the argument.

Only science flies here.

Stick with what you like. Stay with high quality, great taste. You will get much more enjoyment from enjoying your drink than pursuing a high drinking terrible products.

My prophecy ends now

People play down the secondary effects because they are not gauranteed

There are only two guarantees. Effects aren't either one.

I personally don't go for the effect as I do the sheer enjoyment of a well crafted drink. JMO

Like a few other nice folks here, I reckon it can be said, "been there and done it!" in regards to secondaries and so forth.

Absinthe is almost a daily drink for me. I'm not looking for effects other than pure enjoyment.

If a smile is an effect, I get them almost daily, usually in the first drink.

So with that said, I bid you good evening.

Cheers!

Many people here will try to steer you away from believing that good absinthe produces secondary effects.

Why do people keep saying that, when it is obviously not true? I don't know anyone on this site who says that there is no such thing as secondaries. Just because it isn't played up doesn't mean it's denied.

But I think many people play it up, as G said. I don't go to a coffee site and play up the caffeine effect. In fact, I'd say there are stronger secondaries there than in absinthe.

I find that different brands produce such an effect better than others. Usually I can only achieve a strong "absinthe buzz" after about 5 glasses.

My best advice is to buy quality products, and make sure you are ready for a night of drinking. 2 glasses won't do it.

For me it's the opposite. After drinking more than 2 glasses I just start feeling the alcohol, just as I would with any spirit. I do notice a unique effect with some brands, but not most. It hits me before I finish the 1'st glass and is gone by the time I finish the 2'nd one. It seems to help to sip it slowly.

I personally have never experienced the "clear headed buzz" described by many. It doesn't make me more articulate or creative. After several glasses I'm just as inebriated as I would be off any spirit. It's funny how OMG Bill points out "a smile" as an effect. I often get a subtle sense of well being. When I'm outside on a nice day, the sun feels exceptionally nice on my shoulders after a few sips. Then again, the same could be said of Mead.

I agree with Tally Ho on this one about the quantity- I do get a very subtle 'clear headed buzz-a-ma-call-it' after 2 glasses. I usually have 2-4 glasses in a sitting. Once I am drunk, or if I'm already drunk, I just feel more 'regular drunkenness.' There's definitely a breaking point. In my experience, people that cannot get drunk until over 10 drinks don't experience or notice anything special at all (in taste or otherwise!)

I have pictures of friends on their 2nd or 3rd glasses with the most gigantic smiles I've ever seen on them. I often want to do something creative or constructive while 'buzzed on absinthe.' Last weekend I shared some absinthe with a friend, and at some point he started arranging these figurines I have and taking pictures of the various poses... I'm just saying, whatever it is, none of it typically occurs when beer or whiskey is served around here.

I also am in the majority that drinks it primarily for the taste of an well-crafted spirit! I also agree that the 'secondary effect' of coffee is much more drastic than in absinthe, but I think its the case that to me anyway, I notice the difference between one beverage and absinthe, more so than 2 other spirits. Ultimately, if its all in my head, then I have a pretty good imagination...

With apologies to Jack Handy....

Is there anything more groovy than drinking five or six glasses of absinthe, and getting that ultra-clarity where all you see is beauty? And what's more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet.

And also, you're drunk.

I also drink absinthe for the taste and the pleasure, but I am not going to deny that it has a no different buzz than whiskey.

Tally Ho, All I can say is that 2 glasses doesn't get me drunk. Perhaps you have more drinking ahead of you to get your tolerance up. If you are a light weight, you will surely get drunk before you can notice anything

But I think many people play it up, as G said. I don't go to a coffee site and play up the caffeine effect. In fact, I'd say there are stronger secondaries there than in absinthe.

Stronger liabilities, from my experience. :laugh:

Usually I can only achieve a strong "absinthe buzz" after about 5 glasses. ... All I can say is that 2 glasses doesn't get me drunk.

You drink to get drunk?

Most everyone else reports that the effect kicks in right away and fades within 20 to 30 minutes.

However, it is clear that absinthe, after several glasses, produces a unique buzz, often coined as "clear-minded."

It may be clear for you, but there are seasoned absinthe drinkers—Hartsmar comes to mind—who say that they experience no secondaries whatsoever.

Most everyone else reports that the effect kicks in right away and fades within 20 to 30 minutes.

sounds about right but I wouldn't know.

I have pictures of friends on their 2nd or 3rd glasses with the most gigantic smiles I've ever seen on them. I often want to do something creative or constructive while 'buzzed on absinthe.'

Same here but Jules usually tells me to put the trapeze away and wipe that silly grin off my face. ;)

It may be clear for you, but there are seasoned absinthe drinkers—Hartsmar comes to mind—who say that they experience no secondaries whatsoever.

Seriously, secondaries for me mean restless sleep. It's very rare I ever have a glass of absinthe after 9:00pm. Sure it's a different buzz but not any more so than beer from wine, wine from gin, gin from bourbon, etc... It's a nice romantic notion, adding to absinthe's allure but the bottom line is still, it's a delicious aperitif.

I have never had a hangover after imbibing some or more absinthe, but it does makes me drunk in the end. The only difference between absinthe the other liquors is that it is elegant drunkeness not just like being shitfaced on tequila shots, for example.

However, I have never had a hangover after tequila, either. The only thing that gives me a strong hangover-so puking out and heavy head is vodka, but I blame it on too much waer :twitchsmile: -similarly after drinking strong rum, rectified spirit, brandy, cask strength whisky etc I do not suffer at all.

And surprisingly when we mix liquors, the main culprit of the wicked hangover is the weakest ingredient: some time ago I have drunk a bottle of rum-nothing special has happened, followed with two shots of tequila-the same, eaten some beer-still nothing and when I have ordered (how stupid I was) a mug of table home wine-my world has collapsed in pieces. In the morning when I recovered, although I had the rum/tequila/beer aftertaste in my mouth, I was feeling how the wine hangover was pounding in my head. Never again!

Still, absinthe is not drunk to get drunk but to be savoured, same would go for brandy-another elegant sipping spirit, whisky, whereas vodka or tequila are there to be drunk quickly and lead the drinker under the table. It is not their fault, but the way how they are nowadays served in bars. If I am drinking vodka, I am eating something, that is the traditional way, shooting one by one without any hors d'oeuvres or appetizers is just fratboy style and shall be condemned and not encouraged in the bars/restuarants.

It's a nice romantic notion, adding to absinthe's allure but the bottom line is still, it's a delicious aperitif.

Hear, hear! :cheers:

Although, I will say that my ususlly somewhat intense, and or bizarre dreams seem to be even moreso after I've imbibed a few absinthes.

Seriously, secondaries for me mean restless sleep. It's very rare I ever have a glass of absinthe after 9:00pm.

Seconded. The burned hand teaches best.

While I seldom agree with (or even understand) anything that Boggy has to say, I have the same experience: I rarely get a hangover (because I rarely over-drink) but red wine will wreck me if I'm not careful. That's because all those nasty congeners like methanol and such haven't been distilled out. ;)

Excellent factual article about hangovers at How Stuff Works. I recommend reading the whole thing.